• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Dave Feldberg in the bag

2014 winter quotes

he switched from the judges in this video? Isn't the swan by Westside?

You bring up signature discs—what happened to Blackie?
Everyone wants to know what happened to Blackie.
I took all those discs and I zipped them up in my VooDoo Zulu bag and I haven't touched them since. VooDoo sent me a new bag and I just started filling that. I haven't seen Blackie since. It's just sitting in that bag in the closet. I have a new Blackie. I use a black Swan and it's working out perfectly for me. I am probably playing the best disc golf I have ever played in my life, but I just don't know the discs that well and we're still getting to know each other.

What are your feelings about players with mixed bags?

I think that's where I want to push Latitude 64. I want to say, "It's time to stop telling a kid if you want to get 50 discs from me, you have to stop throwing this and this," which is the stuff that got the sponsor to pay attention to him in the first place.

I'd be interested to know what he had in the bag at the end of the year compared to when the original ITB was shot if he switched up putters after raving about the Judge.

Im really bummed he is retiring, probably my favorite player to watch with his effortless technique.

Im really bummed he is retiring, probably my favorite player to watch with his effortless technique.

effortless???? maybe by appearance.

Yea it definitely looks effortless to me, but thats what great players do. Make hard things look easy!

I know dave is putting a lot of oomph behind his shots :D

Feldberg is why i play disc golf tournaments in the first place, he taught me most of what i know. At least he will still be involved in growing the sport. :)

Maybe he will continue to do clinics?

Feldberg is why i play disc golf tournaments in the first place, he taught me most of what i know. At least he will still be involved in growing the sport. :)

Maybe he will continue to do clinics?

I think that's guaranteed. Maybe not as many as he does now, but clinics and some majors and NTs, plus the whole disc golf ambassador thing.

I can maybe get a little bit about a mixed bag type thing but he's being so unrealistic. Gateway could do that because outside of their popular putters they didn't have a true lineup. At least not one anyone wanted to throw exclusively. But today you have Lat64 allowing you to throw their complete line and the lines of both of the other companies they mold for. That's a pretty huge selection of molds and plastics. It's not unreasonable for a sponsor that is supporting you to want their discs in your bag. Innova allows millenium and Discmania. Discraft and dga. It's really not anything exclusive to disc golf.

When a company is helping you foot the bill they want you in their gear not a rival company. Unless you get all makers to get on board with multiple company deals where instead of innova alloting you 150 discs that year you get 50 and can also sign with discraft who gives you fifty and then you putt with a wizard and gateway says here buddy you can have fifty. Then you wear a shirt with three logos and pretend to love them all equally. Like pga golfers do. You can have that or you can have it the way it is. There is no middle ground where one company gives you all the product and money and you can still just throw a mixed bag with maybe only one of their discs and ninety percent another company that doesn't sponsor you at all. He is thinking outside the box but he's also thinking outside of the logical business world altogether.

Last edited:
I can maybe get a little bit about a mixed bag type thing but he's being so unrealistic. Gateway could do that because outside of their popular putters they didn't have a true lineup. At least not one anyone wanted to throw exclusively. But today you have Lat64 allowing you to throw their complete line and the lines of both of the other companies they mold for. That's a pretty huge selection of molds and plastics. It's not unreasonable for a sponsor that is supporting you to want their discs in your bag. Innova allows millenium and Discmania. Discraft and dga. It's really not anything exclusive to disc golf.

When a company is helping you foot the bill they want you in their gear not a rival company. Unless you get all makers to get on board with multiple company deals where instead of innova alloting you 150 discs that year you get 50 and can also sign with discraft who gives you fifty and then you putt with a wizard and gateway says here buddy you can have fifty. Then you wear a shirt with three logos and pretend to love them all equally. Like pga golfers do. You can have that or you can have it the way it is. There is no middle ground where one company gives you all the product and money and you can still just throw a mixed bag with maybe only one of their discs and ninety percent another company that doesn't sponsor you at all. He is thinking outside the box but he's also thinking outside of the logical business world altogether.

His idea is certainly better for the consumer. Allowing your team to throw mixed bags, you learn where certain companies have better products than you so you work to fill that slot. Forcing your team to only throw your product allows you to become complacent.

I fully understand your point though. Just devil's advocating.

Competition is good for you.

I agree with tbird888, besides.. a sposored player that doesnt throw that companies discs will probably not be sponsored very long.

What if instead it was more flexible about how much they sponsored you for. If you're willing to run a full bag of our discs, you can make X amount of money. If you want to run 1/3 of your bag as us, we will pay you 1/3 of that. Gateway could say "You just want a couple Wizards in your bag, we will give you some discs and call it good. You want to throw more, we will toss some money along too" or whatever. I have no clue what these contracts look like anyway. As long as the contracts spell out terms of how many discs they have to play belonging to that company for the money they are being provided, there is no room for people to game the system. Altho I suppose you could take the money to have half your bag be Innova (or whoever) and then only throw the other half of your bag, so the Innova half is only seen on ITB videos heh.

His idea is certainly better for the consumer. Allowing your team to throw mixed bags, you learn where certain companies have better products than you so you work to fill that slot. Forcing your team to only throw your product allows you to become complacent.

I fully understand your point though. Just devil's advocating.

I get it. I agree with it really. Mixed bag is what player's would want and the fans would understand eventually. Like PGA golfers they will use Cleveland wedges and maybe taylor made irons and drivers. They can be sponsored by both and have different deals. I just don't know if that will happen because disc golf is peanuts to that racket and the companies are just used to this system. I actually applauded innova when all those people left. They said ok we'll keep selling discs and really put our support behind McBeth now and boom he blows up even bigger and they're still selling discs.

It's just a weird "hobby" sport marketplace. I almost hope a big name starts getting involved at this point because that might force the other companies to rethink how they do deals.

Competition is good for you.

I agree with tbird888, besides.. a sposored player that doesnt throw that companies discs will probably not be sponsored very long.

but me and tbird agree. I'm just pointing out you can't throw a mixed bag with the current system. It has to change with the companies first and then they redo deals with players and say ok this is the new system. Throw what you want and if you throw one of our discs or based on the number of molds you do throw of ours here's your new allotment. You are required to have one of our logos in this spot. Cool? ok great now go win some tournaments and make sure you include our name with the list of other names when you thank us all. Really that's all the company cares about. They get promoted and pay out less overall in gear and compensation because it's divied up between companies. Like PGA golf.

What if instead it was more flexible about how much they sponsored you for. If you're willing to run a full bag of our discs, you can make X amount of money. If you want to run 1/3 of your bag as us, we will pay you 1/3 of that. Gateway could say "You just want a couple Wizards in your bag, we will give you some discs and call it good. You want to throw more, we will toss some money along too" or whatever. I have no clue what these contracts look like anyway. As long as the contracts spell out terms of how many discs they have to play belonging to that company for the money they are being provided, there is no room for people to game the system. Altho I suppose you could take the money to have half your bag be Innova (or whoever) and then only throw the other half of your bag, so the Innova half is only seen on ITB videos heh.

Exactly. You rework deals to compensate both sides fairly and allow nate doss to throw a roc beside his buzzz if that's what he wants. If that's what will get him a 4th world title everyone wins including nate and every company that has a little piece of him and a logo somewhere on his bag or hat or shirt.

Disc golfers looking like Nascar drivers. :D

Disc golfers looking like Nascar drivers. :D

Sadly you had me till this line heh. Of course, I think Nascar is pretty stupid in general, so why would the way they turn themselves and their cars into billboards change anything? :)

Let's be honest here. Would Dave really be pushing and making statements about mixed bags if he was still with Innova? Personally, I highly doubt this would be an issue with him if he was.

Sadly you had me till this line heh. Of course, I think Nascar is pretty stupid in general, so why would the way they turn themselves and their cars into billboards change anything? :)

Nascar is the worst thing called a sport in the world. I understand it takes a lot out of someone to drive in a hot car for hours but that's beside the point. They turn left around a circle for hours and people watch and cheer. It's ridiculous. I was just making a joke about how this method would turn every pro disc golfer into a big billboard with logos all over them but really it would be two or three tops and not be a big deal. Most look like that now anyway.

ive recently realized while nascar is extremely boring to watch, it is insane. They are going nearly 200 mph barely hanging on in those left turns. It doesn't hold a candle to most of the other racing sports but i can see the appeal.

Nascar is the worst thing called a sport in the world. I understand it takes a lot out of someone to drive in a hot car for hours but that's beside the point. They turn left around a circle for hours and people watch and cheer. It's ridiculous. I was just making a joke about how this method would turn every pro disc golfer into a big billboard with logos all over them but really it would be two or three tops and not be a big deal. Most look like that now anyway.

NASCAR gets a really bad rap as a racing series. It takes a lot to be able to make those cars pull the Gs in corners that they're capable of, not to mention driving inches from other drivers at 200mph while doing it. Most drivers are not only better conditioned but have faster reflexes and better manual dexterity than most athletes in other sports.