• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Vs. Goliath

Who will win???

• Goliath - 0 experience but crazy athletic

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • David - 2.5 years of experience and a solid 300 - 350ft. drive

Votes: 113 75.8%
  • Who cares, stop wasting valuable interwebs space

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters
strength is a crucial part of most sports, disc golf included. But disc golf definitely needs explosive and well timed strength. So your Will Schusterick or who is a scrawny guy but has impeccable timing with probably some measure of explosive strength, albeit not nearly as much strength as a power lifter or an olympic lifter, is going to throw really far. The key really is timing. If you learn proper timing, being strong is only going to help you.

This is very iffy, and totally depends on the opponent.
Like others, I've seen atheletic guys come out and start nailing deuces within a few holes. I have also seen the opposite.
However, if he doesn't figure it out fast, he won't gain anything after 20-30 throws. After that many throws, his arm will be spaghetti.
Still, after all, I'd hafta bet on you.
Make us proud.

It's a toss up. It wouldn't be that surprising if someone who was the same height and weight as you, but also very athletic, could throw 300' right away. 6'2" and 300+lbs is massive. He's probably got incredible forearm and grip strength if he does a lot of lifting, which is basically all you need to torque Bosses 350', but he may not understand how to use it.

It's a toss up. It wouldn't be that surprising if someone who was the same height and weight as you, but also very athletic, could throw 300' right away. 6'2" and 300+lbs is massive. He's probably got incredible forearm and grip strength if he does a lot of lifting, which is basically all you need to torque Bosses 350', but he may not understand how to use it.

That's what we're going to find out! The guy has an extensive football, baseball, and lifting background, so if he starts overhanding or sidearming the stable stuff he could outdo me. I'll likely stick with either the Valkyrie or the Blizzard destroyer (super pop-top) depending on the wind. It's quite blustery out there today which I think will work in my favor as wind management is a big part of the game that can't be beaten with strength alone.

You better hit the top of your range here imo, ive seen noobs throw pretty far and if hes even sort of athletic 300+ wont be a matter of if but when with 50 throws, good luck

Trying to get everyone involved on the same page at the moment - The sun's out so it should happen. I'll keep you all in the loop!

I took the most athletic guy I know for his first round of disc golf ever at Cliff Stephens. He shot +8 on par 3's. Unbelievable. Of course, I still beat him...but I couldn't believe he caught on so fast and was so consistent.

Lacrosse Delay

So the field near the office (a school field) happened to be filled with several lacrosse games so the competition has been delayed. :thmbdown: It's still happening, but will likely be in the next couple days. I'll keep everyone posted.

What's the problem?

So the field near the office (a school field) happened to be filled with several lacrosse games so the competition has been delayed. :thmbdown: It's still happening, but will likely be in the next couple days. I'll keep everyone posted.

What's the problem? They wear helmets and pads! And hell, they even carry baskets around, so target practice!

:)

I can't believe I just read 10 pages of posts only to be hit with a season ending cliffhanger.

50 is ideal, but he has to do them all the in the same day. After 20 fatigue will set in. The improvement in technique won't make up for it. I bet on the noodle arm.

P.S. Be sure he doesn't get the right disc. Hand him meathooks and putters only. A big stack of them so he can choose and think they're all different when in reality none will work for him.

Don't let him get his hands on something like a roadrunner or a leopard.