• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Vs. Goliath

Who will win???

• Goliath - 0 experience but crazy athletic

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • David - 2.5 years of experience and a solid 300 - 350ft. drive

Votes: 113 75.8%
  • Who cares, stop wasting valuable interwebs space

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters
But isn't a roller an example of strategy overcoming brute strength?

You could argue that but I thought you were going for a technique vs. strength.

Disc sports distance competitions are always from where the disc first hits the ground, not where it stops.

You would have been better doing CTP from different distances to prove your point.

Guess people really DO think rollers are cheating huh? In my defense, I originally wanted 5 shots instead of 3 to make up for screw ups (like my first and last drive) but I do feel like it was only a technical victory. It was a risk to throw the roller as they are in no way my specialty, but I'd have rather won in the air....
I don't think rollers are cheating on the course, but in a distance contest, it's shady at best since the rules weren't clearly defined. See Tin Cup 7 Iron bet vid a few post ago. :|

tumblr_lzqeggde3D1qfohxz.gif

You could argue that but I thought you were going for a technique vs. strength.

Disc sports distance competitions are always from where the disc first hits the ground, not where it stops.

You would have been better doing CTP from different distances to prove your point.

Fair enough. I've never done a distance competition of any kind before so I was kinda playing by ear. I DID mention earlier in the thread that I was practicing rollers. If folks had mentioned their roller thoughts before I could have amended my strategy. Guess I'll have to have a rematch!

The Giant is slain!!! - Sorry it took so long! I failed on the video footage side of things (so sorry!!:doh:) so you'll have to satiated with a blow by blow account. First off, if anyone is in New Hampshire today, you'll know that it is VERY windy out there! We got to the field and stuff was blowing all over the place (made for a very nice atmosphere for a showdown). I did give Goliath a bit of a crash course on wind control just to make it even, but as there was no prevailing wind direction it wasn't much help. As per the rules, he went first and started off with the Valkyrie. He had done some homework and read that it was the world record holder so props for looking into it! Anyway, first throw was the standard newb hyzer, but accentuated greatly by the right to left wind that took the disc about 200ft. left and 100ft. ahead. The next few throws he put a lot more power in but was throwing way too high and getting the hyzer. By throw 15 he was keeping it low but was putting too much anhyzer on it to try and make up for the fade from before. He actually got a decent 250ft. drive on throw 25 that had me a bit nervous that he was going to get it done. After tasting initial success, he began putting a ton of power into it and the valk started turning and burning. After about 5 of those, he asked what disc would be easier to throw hard and I explained overstable/understable and what discs were what. He grabbed the boss AMA and started hammering away. In the 40s, he was definitely getting tired but gave a couple of epic tries and got the boss out to a little past 300ft (based on the football field we were on). That was his best and so I grabbed my discs. I first used the archon and way overdid it trying to win on my first throw. It ended up about 250ft. out and about 100ft. too far to the right from the turn and burn. My second shot I went for the sure thing and threw my DX Banshee on a roller. It hit about 150ft. out and rolled. And rolled. AND rolled past the boss by about 20ft! Not my best roller but enough for the win! I threw one more (Blizzard Destroyer) to try and drive it home but released a little early and caught that damn wind. Frankly, though I did win, it was a little too close for comfort (gotta work on my driving some more I guess) and I don't like that I had to use a roller. I know they are a perfectly legitimate shot, and it really drives home the strategy vs brawn argument, but I would have liked to have the best air shot too. I also now have the problem that the winning disc was a beat DX that isn't worth dyeing...
SO! I hope this was at least an adequate wrap up. I'm hoping that I've added at least one new devotee to the sport. "Goliath" was a pretty good sport and has already started ribbing me for only beating him with 1 out of 3, so I think I got him at least interested. I apologize again for the lack of video (no excuses, I straight out forgot) and also for all the delays. kachtz mentioned he was going to do his own test - hopefully you'll post the results on this thread once you get them and maybe even video it? It was neat watching someone try and feel out the driving process and others will definitely enjoy seeing it as well.

This was in New Hampshire??? I was off work and could've witnessed!

It wasn't that windy today...

lol you can't win a distance comp with a roller. Well not if you still want to wear big boy pants and not a dress next time you hit the course. :popcorn:

I'm sure you proved your point which was that brute strength does not make a disc golfer but he bested you in the air. That's at best a tie and you know what they say about that......sister kisser. :p

This was in New Hampshire??? I was off work and could've witnessed!

It wasn't that windy today...

That sucks it would have been nice to have more witnesses! If you're ever going to be in the Dover area send me a PM and we can play a round! I'm at Bellamy Park pretty much every day!

lol you can't win a distance comp with a roller. Well not if you still want to wear big boy pants and not a dress next time you hit the course. :popcorn:

I'm sure you proved your point which was that brute strength does not make a disc golfer but he bested you in the air. That's at best a tie and you know what they say about that......sister kisser. :p

Yes yes... While they say ignorance isn't an excuse, I still feel like rollers are legit shots. Oh well, guess I'll get fitted for a dress...

There you go - happy now?:gross:

Jeez, I can't believe I went through all 18 pages for this outcome. What a letdown, reminds me of the movie Titanic, all this hype only to come to a halting crash. Sorry, you didn't win, you straight up lost. Goliath threw a 300ft+ airshot, and you throw a roller, cmon, weaksauce...

Jeez, I can't believe I went through all 18 pages for this outcome. What a letdown, reminds me of the movie Titanic, all this hype only to come to a halting crash. Sorry, you didn't win, you straight up lost. Goliath threw a 300ft+ airshot, and you throw a roller, cmon, weaksauce...

lol sorry to let you down!

Don't get me wrong, I was certainly rooting for you. But time and time again when people starting talking game they lose their game. Look at Lebron, the Eagles, and it happens to that guy on the teepad just about ready to throw when he looks back at his card to discuss he had a near ace on this hole last time he shot, only to shank his drive into a tree.

Let this be a lesson, humble yourself next time, so in the case of humility your met with compassion.

Don't get me wrong, I was certainly rooting for you. But time and time again when people starting talking game they lose their game. Look at Lebron, the Eagles, and it happens to that guy on the teepad just about ready to throw when he looks back at his card to discuss he had a near ace on this hole last time he shot, only to shank his drive into a tree.

Let this be a lesson, humble yourself next time, so in the case of humility your met with compassion.

I'm not humble??? My avatar went from "david slaying goliath" to "man wearing dress" jusrt because folks think rollers are cheating and I kind of agreed with them. How much more humble can one be I wonder?