• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I got some pop top pro destroyers from innova pro shop that are domey and high plh.

They are super sweet. I havent thrown it in the woods to start breaking them in but i have a feeling im going to need some more.

my last pro was flatter and had a lower plh and out of the box flew like a nice worn destroyer. Its seasoned into a hyzer flip max d disc. My furthest flying destroyer. When my form is on point it has a great s turn. If im off its usually going to turnover

So im hoping a seasoned pop top pro will be more forgiving of slight form problems then that. It def started with alot more fade.

The other day i was tossing them brand new. I got three star 171 and two pro 175. I was getting 390 with the stars flat. Zero turn and heavy fade. The pros flew very similar with a tad bit more forward fade but still surprisingly dumpy for a pro. Pros went 400. That day my flippy pro was hitting 410-430.

The new runs are sweet and so happy somebody suggested them.

Also champs are sweet! They are like a xcal with a the destroyer feel I'm used too. And skip way better then star. One day ill actually beat one in for a roller, that'll be the shiznit.

It is reassuring to read all the comments on the new soft Destroyers being meat hooks so thank you. I was honestly worried it was just me. I don't have the arm speed for Destroyers so I just keep 1 in the bag for windy days and holes where I wanted the hard fade. I lost my trusted 2 year old Star AJ Destroyer that I was actually getting very good distance and predictability with so I bought a new one with the assumption that it would be more stable. It was so much more stable than I thought it would be that I thought I was losing form or getting too flippin old to even try and throw one anymore. With that said, I am going to trade it to a big arm destroyer thrower and move on to something else.

It is reassuring to read all the comments on the new soft Destroyers being meat hooks so thank you. I was honestly worried it was just me. I don't have the arm speed for Destroyers so I just keep 1 in the bag for windy days and holes where I wanted the hard fade. I lost my trusted 2 year old Star AJ Destroyer that I was actually getting very good distance and predictability with so I bought a new one with the assumption that it would be more stable. It was so much more stable than I thought it would be that I thought I was losing form or getting too flippin old to even try and throw one anymore. With that said, I am going to trade it to a big arm destroyer thrower and move on to something else.

If you like the feel of the soft one, then get a domey Gstar Destroyer. It should fly way more mellow with a hooking/sweeping fade rather than dumping. If you already have a windy shot Destroyer in the bag and need a more controlled/golf distance Destroyer, I can't recommend that disc enough. For reference I can throw my Gstar 400-425 on a tight line, and the super beefcake flat star was going ~330' and divebombing. The Gstar won't put up with as much torque or wind as a star Destroyer that is beat to the same stability, in my not giant experience, but they are a fantastic disc. Also makes it workable for anhyzers though.

I got some pop top pro destroyers from innova pro shop that are domey and high plh.

They are super sweet. I havent thrown it in the woods to start breaking them in but i have a feeling im going to need some more.

my last pro was flatter and had a lower plh and out of the box flew like a nice worn destroyer. Its seasoned into a hyzer flip max d disc. My furthest flying destroyer. When my form is on point it has a great s turn. If im off its usually going to turnover

So im hoping a seasoned pop top pro will be more forgiving of slight form problems then that. It def started with alot more fade.

The other day i was tossing them brand new. I got three star 171 and two pro 175. I was getting 390 with the stars flat. Zero turn and heavy fade. The pros flew very similar with a tad bit more forward fade but still surprisingly dumpy for a pro. Pros went 400. That day my flippy pro was hitting 410-430.

Also champs are sweet! They are like a xcal with a the destroyer feel I'm used too. And skip way better then star. One day ill actually beat one in for a roller, that'll be the shiznit.

Yea, I just got 6 xouts from the factory store in the 165-169 range and they are all awesome. All new runs, all have a good dome to them and have a nice wing. The 2 that I have tried so far were just perfectly OS destroyers. Im very pleased with the new runs that are out right now.

It's interesting to see talk of the newer gummy, flat aj's as being meathooks. Just a few months ago it seemed people were upset with how non beefy these were. I imagine this is one of innova's must often run discs so maybe it's a newer newer run.

It's interesting to see talk of the newer gummy, flat aj's as being meathooks. Just a few months ago it seemed people were upset with how non beefy these were. I imagine this is one of innova's must often run discs so maybe it's a newer newer run.

Yea, its a run past the gummy run. They are still gummier than the older star plastic but they are a bit stiffer than the gummy run. Anyway, they are nice.

If you like the feel of the soft one, then get a domey Gstar Destroyer. It should fly way more mellow with a hooking/sweeping fade rather than dumping. If you already have a windy shot Destroyer in the bag and need a more controlled/golf distance Destroyer, I can't recommend that disc enough. For reference I can throw my Gstar 400-425 on a tight line, and the super beefcake flat star was going ~330' and divebombing. The Gstar won't put up with as much torque or wind as a star Destroyer that is beat to the same stability, in my not giant experience, but they are a fantastic disc. Also makes it workable for anhyzers though.

Thank you SP! I will try it.

They are OS. Can get them up to 450 but you have to turn them out of the hand. But no clue what they beat into. Give them a few months since they are new.

So you're meaning they hold flex shots at 450' :eek:

Good to know they're actually very beefy from a big arm.

Pro destroyers are SO GOOD

I'm finally biting.
Never thrown a Destroyer (yeah...I know).
Probably the closest in flight I've thrown regularly is a Wraith, which was a go to disc for me in the 90s (had a first run that the dog chewed up!). Though, honestly, it wasn't my longest disc back then...

Just ordered a lightweight Blizzard (154g) just to try it out (while ordering my wife a 132g Beast) and will report back.
Should be interesting.
Current throw my 2x BS Leo 300-25 consistently (also 154g), and have been focusing on FDs (350 max) as my top speed disc for months to work on form after a year and a half away due to a major motorcycle accident (3 right knee surgeries).

There are just too many iterations of molds for me to spend the time deciphering what is what, so I figured we'll just see how Blizzard works on this little experiment. Not too much invested if this doesn't work out, lol.

Couple questions... for max D on a straight line, should I toss this flat and let it do its thing, or slightly anny it to stretch it out a bit more? Back when I was throwing the Wraith, the internet was not so much and you were learning pretty much on your own, so it was kind of an ugly lottery of lucky shots.
Also, anything specific to consider regarding the flight of this mold in Blizzard?

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty sure the Wraith wasn't approved until 2005, but...

I've only seen a few Blizzard Destroyers thrown and they were less stable than the other plastics. It really may depend on what you end up with. The typical golf distance Destroyer flight path is a flat or (very slight) hyzer release, a mild drift right during the whole flight but on a rope, and then a sweeping fade to the left of where you aimed. Some are very overstable and will not show any turn, while skipping a bunch on landings. When beat they may turnover a lot more before fading back towards center. People can throw long flex/anhyzers with them as well for distance, if you want to see if that stretches it out more. But really they are great at throwing line drives that have just enough turn to add distance, and enough fade that you know it won't walk to the right and never come back.

They can get kind of flippy in Blizzard so I would start off throwing flat.

If for some reason you don't click with the Blizzard I would suggest picking up a 160's Pro Destroyer and giving that a shot.

That would break into a great flyer.

Pro was def my next choice.
Figured Bliz was a quick resell if I didn't like it.
I've never clicked w Star, and instead always deferred to Champ, but I do dig Pro plastic for sure.
160s is usually where its at for me, but I'm giving myself a little leeway with the 154g.

This ought to be interesting... I don't have perfect form at all, but I know where my deficits are and normally throw under par.
Having not thrown a Destroyer before age 40, but also not being new to the game either... this should be fun.

Well I'm pretty sure the Wraith wasn't approved until 2005, but...

I've only seen a few Blizzard Destroyers thrown and they were less stable than the other plastics. It really may depend on what you end up with. The typical golf distance Destroyer flight path is a flat or (very slight) hyzer release, a mild drift right during the whole flight but on a rope, and then a sweeping fade to the left of where you aimed. Some are very overstable and will not show any turn, while skipping a bunch on landings. When beat they may turnover a lot more before fading back towards center. People can throw long flex/anhyzers with them as well for distance, if you want to see if that stretches it out more. But really they are great at throwing line drives that have just enough turn to add distance, and enough fade that you know it won't walk to the right and never come back.

Damn, you're right... I juxtaposed the Wraith with the Banshee.
Good call.
Disregard previous ramblings.
Though I did toss the Wraith around 2005 when I lived out west, so thats where my senior moment must have crossed lines.

This flight description is super helpful... many thanks.

I just bought one of those pumpkin stamped Star Destroyers. 172g super flat top. I have no trouble throwing 400ft and this discs could possibly be one of the most Overstable discs I have ever thrown. It is in the Nuke OS category, and I was really hoping for it to be true to the flight numbers.