• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

So jvphobic INSTRUCTED the cameraman to get into Hammes's face? That's even worse. :mad:

And the response is a typical Media 'we can do no wrong' response. The cameraman was WRONG. jvphobic, if he instructed the cameraman to get into player's face, was WRONG. :thmbdown:

I'm all the more on Hammes's side on this.
Do you even bother to read entire posts before responding...

First. I have now heard 3 different version of how this went down already. Here is my personal take. Adam should not have touched the camera, instead he should have put his hand in front of the lens. But, our cameraman didn't move his position, he simply swiveled to follow him (on MY direction). When players have really good or really bad shots, my job is to tell the cameraman "Stay on him". We WANT to get the emotion of the game... the highs and lows. It is what makes live sports great. We didn't "stick the camera in his face", we simply followed him as he walked by closely to us. We love to see Simon fall over in jest when he almost hits a huge putt. Viewers like the emotion of a player folding a disc in half after a poor drive. We all enjoy fist pumps on great moments in our sport.
I wonder how much you would be roasting PP or Ricky if this had been one of them...:rolleyes:

If it´s ok to zoom in on the players face when he makes a good shot or even an ace. . .it just as ok to do it on bad shots

This is sports. i have MANY times seen great players make big mistakes that have cost them or the team to loose - - the second after the camera is in his face to capture the emotions. . thats a big part of what makes live sports great

And the response is a typical Media 'we can do no wrong' response. The cameraman was WRONG. jvphobic, if he instructed the cameraman to get into player's face, was WRONG. :thmbdown:

The cameraman was doing what his producer was telling him to do. To follow the action and tell the story. Hammes threw a bad shot and they wanted to catch his reaction. And they did, they caught every ounce of Hammes being a dbag (seemingly).

I'd love to hear about what Hammes said about the camera guy trying to work him though. If there is any truth to it.

The cameraman was doing what his producer was telling him to do. To follow the action and tell the story. Hammes threw a bad shot and they wanted to catch his reaction. And they did, they caught every ounce of Hammes being a dbag (seemingly).

I'd love to hear about what Hammes said about the camera guy trying to work him though. If there is any truth to it.
also saw this on reddit (bold emphasis is mine)
I don't disagree at all. I wouldn't have pushed the camera along with a lot of others but the kid is kinda one of our buddies so from what Adam is saying he was trying to Razz him. I'm not advocating for what Adam did at all. Just giving you guys some backstory into the situation. Adam has a lot to learn for sure.

I can see both sides,
First, no way, should Hammes touch/move the camera in an effort to move the frame. No way.

Second, it looked like the cameraman was much closer to Hammes than the other guys. I know it's a camera guy, but that is NO EXCUSE to invade someone's personal space. Keep the camera on me as long as you need, but you should NEVER, EVER encroach in my personal space. Of course, the tough part is that Hammes' idea of personal space may be different from the camera guy's ideas. Still, if Hammes was able to move the camera out of the way that easily (no reaching or stretching) then I tend to believe that the camera guy was too close.

Not taking sides here, because I was not there to see it first-hand.
I'd really love to know if the camera guy was working him before the round started.

To me, it's not that big of a deal. Hearing about it before seeing it, I expected something much worse. Nate laughed and empathized with Adam when it happened. The discussion about the incident is far more dramatic than the incident itself.
It's like that rule in baseball that you can't touch an ump, and then you see a player get mad and the ump steps into them so when the player swings his arm to point at something there is contact. The player gets thrown out because you can't touch an ump, but the contact really isn't a big deal and otherwise wouldn't warrant any sort of discipline. There wouldn't have been any contact if the ump hadn't stepped into the player to provoke him.

The only reason I could see for even caring about this is if there is a hard and fast "you can't touch the camera equipment" rule. Otherwise, he tapped the thing to move it off of him. *yawn*

Well, there's a reward for the extra risks that Paige is more capable of and more likely to take than the rest of the women. Goes for the narrow green on a 440 foot hole and puts in the 15 footer for eagle to pick up an extra throw on Cat with just five holes to play.

The only reason I could see for even caring about this is if there is a hard and fast "you can't touch the camera equipment" rule. Otherwise, he tapped the thing to move it off of him. *yawn*

I'm not sure there's a rule in writing about not touching the camera, but we're talking about a delicate piece of equipment that costs at least a thousand bucks. He pushes hard enough and knocks it out of the guy's hand and he's cost the tour the cost of the camera plus inhibits their ability to broadcast the rest of the event to the best of their capabilities. Not sure there needs to be a "hard and fast" rule about something with those kinds of consequences to think it should be a no-no.

The camera position appeared to be between the tee and where Adam was sitting. Adam was full frame while on the tee-the tee was not visible. The view for all the others was wider & pad was visible. Different position or zoom out? Adam walked straight back to the bench & his bag where others were standing. That route was very predictable. When he moved the camera his shoulder didn't move so the camera had to be less than 3' from his face. Seems like pretty aggressive positioning for a cameraguy; between a players bag & the tee & <3' from his face. Maybe plenty of blame to spread around. Maybe a learning opportunity for all.

I wonder how much you would be roasting PP or Ricky if this had been one of them...:rolleyes:

For the record, I'd take Paige Pierce's side, and I'd even take Ricky Wysocki's (or JohnE McCray's) side on this one, all else being equal. Even if all else was not equal, I'd take their side over the cameraman's every time.

So just now on hole 18, one of the camera persons held the shot on Catrina after she threw her second shot, went to her caddy to retrieve her putters, and then stood waiting for Rebecca to throw (they skipped showing Rebecca's second shot entirely). Then after Paige threw her upshot, one of the cameras remained pointed at her while Cat set up for her birdie attempt. Clearly what they wanted was reaction shots as these two played the final hole of a tight battle. Neither camera was "in their face" but it was obvious that they were the focus even when they weren't throwing.

At one point, Cat realized the camera was on her and, clearly not wanting to be on camera in that moment, chose to walk away behind the gallery and out of view. A perfect example of how to handle the situation in a mature manner. Granted, it wasn't the close quarters of the tee box area but still, Cat didn't see the need to take anything out on the camera man for doing his job. She wanted a moment to herself and made it happen. Thought it worth pointing out in contrast to the big topic of the weekend.

Anyone else notice the glaringly obvious jump putt FF paige had on the back9(cant remember which hole, 13-16) to save a par?...

Seems like most of PP and Hokoms jump putts are FF. . Cat had one of her "plant far right of the disc" ones, and this time she had a tree to her left so the FF helpt her line

But great battle again and Paige and Cat are FAR ahead of the rest

At one point, Cat realized the camera was on her and, clearly not wanting to be on camera in that moment, chose to walk away behind the gallery and out of view. A perfect example of how to handle the situation in a mature manner. Granted, it wasn't the close quarters of the tee box area but still, Cat didn't see the need to take anything out on the camera man for doing his job. She wanted a moment to herself and made it happen. Thought it worth pointing out in contrast to the big topic of the weekend.

For perspective, how many more on camera rounds you think Cat has than Adam?

For perspective, how many more on camera rounds you think Cat has than Adam?

Should that matter? It's one thing if we're talking about dealing with nerves and throwing well when the cameras are on. It's another when we're talking about behaving like an adult.

I understand that in Hammes' case, the camera was a lot closer to him physically when it was pointed at him. But it's not as though that prevented him from walking away rather than putting his hands on the camera.

Should that matter? It's one thing if we're talking about dealing with nerves and throwing well when the cameras are on. It's another when we're talking about behaving like an adult.

I understand that in Hammes' case, the camera was a lot closer to him physically when it was pointed at him. But it's not as though that prevented him from walking away rather than putting his hands on the camera.

What you described Cat doing I would consider a pro move. She's been on camera for a substantial number of rounds. She's experienced when it comes to handling her emotions on camera. Doesn't mean she's always under control, GBO is an example where emotions took over. Hammes is still relatively new to being on camera. Hopefully he grows from this and handles himself differently in the future.

Latest posts