• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

Eric Oakley is a mediocre disc golfer...

He is only a good top player or he would not be in the Pro Tout, just that Eric is not a top of the top players. This is pertly due to Eric not really doing a full tour before and this is a new place and tournament on the Pro Tour schedule even though the Portland open has been a NT event for years. Odd since MJ was doing fine and he has never really played in the NT or the Pro tour in the West Coast events, just mostly the east cost states and then the Plains/Midwest States big events in the NT and Pro Tour.

What hole/time was the Hammes incident? Would like to check it out myself.

Hole 13. About 2:05:50 in the liive feed.

In my view, it was a mistake that the PDGA should make clear he must not make again. But, I hope people do not choose to define him by this moment. He is a great up and coming player.

Hole 13. About 2:05:50 in the liive feed.

In my view, it was a mistake that the PDGA should make clear he must not make again. But, I hope people do not choose to define him by this moment. He is a great up and coming player.

2:11:05 Terry Miller recaps what happened & gives his opinion on Hammes's "behavior".

2:11:05 Terry Miller recaps what happened & gives his opinion on Hammes's "behavior".

He actually phrased that well...the little dbag needs to learn some professionalism and respect for other people's property.

He actually phrased that well...the little dbag needs to learn some professionalism and respect for other people's property.

If the camera would have fallen to the ground I don't think Terry Miller's reaction would have been so restrained.

If the camera would have fallen to the ground I don't think Terry Miller's reaction would have been so restrained.

We probably wouldn't have heard his reaction as he would probably be on the phone to the PDGA

M5TteFb.jpg

also from reddit:

I personally talked to Adam. The camera man is a kid who was getting too close. Before the round the kid told Hammes he was going to get in his head somehow. Then on the following hole after the incident pushing the camera the camera guy told Hammes he was getting blasted on smashboxxx. In my opinion that is super unprofessional for a camera man to do.

sounds weird

Both statements sound weird. . as an athlete you need to manage the fact that a camera is in your face when you are doing good things but even more so when you are doing bad things.

But if the cameraman did this on purpose just to Adam thats really bad. .it looked like he was really close to Adam before, during and after the shot

I remember a couple of putts that Simon was distracted by something, I wonder what it was.

What is the range of disciplinary action that Hammes could face for apparently pushing that camera away? Not cool, I'm thinking he could face a suspension -- and it'll be interesting to see if he gets disqualified from the tournament.

Seriously? A suspension???? Please tell me you're joking.

What is the range of disciplinary action that Hammes could face for apparently pushing that camera away? Not cool, I'm thinking he could face a suspension -- and it'll be interesting to see if he gets disqualified from the tournament.

Paparazzi moves should not be allowed. cameramen should not be allowed within 10 ft at any time.

I'm on Hammes's side on this all the way. Keep your cameras out of people's faces! :mad:

I'm on Hammes's side on this all the way. Keep your cameras out of people's faces! :mad:
from jvphobic on reddit:
First. I have now heard 3 different version of how this went down already. Here is my personal take. Adam should not have touched the camera, instead he should have put his hand in front of the lens. But, our cameraman didn't move his position, he simply swiveled to follow him (on MY direction). When players have really good or really bad shots, my job is to tell the cameraman "Stay on him". We WANT to get the emotion of the game... the highs and lows. It is what makes live sports great. We didn't "stick the camera in his face", we simply followed him as he walked by closely to us. We love to see Simon fall over in jest when he almost hits a huge putt. Viewers like the emotion of a player folding a disc in half after a poor drive. We all enjoy fist pumps on great moments in our sport.

There were probably more than a hundred PDGA events this weekend where that response might be acceptable. He chose to register for the one where it decidedly was not. These players have the most to gain from being able to behave like adults with the cameras around.

Just catching up on the Hammes incident. Looking at it only for what happened as it happened, Hammes was 100% in the wrong to put his hands on the camera. There's simply no justification for that whatsoever.

The camera operator was in position to film the shot, exactly where he was supposed to be. Pivoting around to follow Hammes back to the bench wasn't out of line (certainly have seen it before). If Hammes didn't want the camera that close to him, he could have chosen to take a different route away from the tee. It's not as though the camera guy was going to chase after him if he walked off to the left or right of the tee rather than straight back behind it.

That said, I'm not sure the incident warrants discipline. Maybe a stern talking to or a warning about unprofessional behavior, but beyond that would be overkill IMO. No DQ, no suspension. What little I know about Hammes is that he's young and has a tendency to be emotional, and his actions fit that reputation. Hopefully he matures and handles things better in the future.

from jvphobic on reddit:

So jvphobic INSTRUCTED the cameraman to get into Hammes's face? That's even worse. :mad:

And the response is a typical Media 'we can do no wrong' response. The cameraman was WRONG. jvphobic, if he instructed the cameraman to get into player's face, was WRONG. :thmbdown:

I'm all the more on Hammes's side on this.

So jvphobic INSTRUCTED the cameraman to get into Hammes's face? That's even worse. :mad:

And the response is a typical Media 'we can do no wrong' response. The cameraman was WRONG. jvphobic, if he instructed the cameraman to get into player's face, was WRONG. :thmbdown:

I'm all the more on Hammes's side on this.

Is it really "getting in his face" if the camera turns to follow him without changing its position as Hammes walks right by it? I'm sorry, but if you choose to walk by a stationary camera you know to be live, you can't blame the camera for being too close. You're the one who has the freedom to take a different path or move away. If Hammes walked off in a different direction, the camera would probably still track after him (on JVD's orders), but the operator wouldn't follow him and try to be "in his face".

Latest posts