• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Idlewild Open

A friend of mine Bob Roberts was out there all day today getting interviews with players. Some of the Ohio/Kentucky tourney guys on here will probably know him. Was a pretty good adv/pro masters player till his hips went out on him a couple years ago.

First one he posted is with Conrad who gives a brief explanation for the beard removal. A bit different kind of interview than you will normally see. He figured that most of them give the classic post round interviews all the time and decided to ask each of them 5 "fun facts" about themselves.

I'll probably post a couple others key vids but if any of you are interested in seeing the rest as they come out, here's the link to his channel...(so far this is the first DG content he has done)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPBCeTar9DfSQFwi-KdPG-Q

Here's the one with young Zach…

Last edited:
I wasn't asking you to convince me to watch. The fact that you don't care and are happy with the number of viewers with no interest in growth is actually very sad. And when I turned off the Portland Open, the feed began glitching right when the drama was highest. Thank god I hadn't watched the entire round up to that point, so my disappointment was minimal.

If I have to FFWD through a pre-recorded event, it is not longer live...and might as well have been recorded, edited, and post-produced. I'm not sure why that is a hard concept to understand - you're being willfully obtuse with your reply.

But here are some questions since you like to respond:

What is Terry doing there in person?? Why is he there? Because the on-course insights he offers are utterly redundant and have little to zero insight. Is he just there to rub elbows with the Pros he wished to be?

If he's going to be there in person, how about getting there early and filming and editing short interviews/pieces that could be inserted into the broadcast, to spare us from Superchat call-outs and Mr. Funny?

He could interview/highlight: pro players, local pros, course designers, TD's, volunteers, course history, practice rounds, sponsors. Just about anything, you know, good, instead of telling us it's hot out and there is very little wind.

Disc golf is a small pond filled with people who think they are big fish, but in reality, lack imagination or creativity or anything other than having been there first or longest.

Btw, as an afterthought, what does Terry do for a living? I've never heard him mention what he does besides Smashboxx. Does he actually make a living off the productions/Patreon? If so, I find that incredible...

1. We are interested in growth and change. We discuss it all the time. Just not interested in trying to appease people who we know will not change their mind regardless of what we do. And you seem to fall into that category. Our numbers are up on average in FPO & MPO live broadcasts overall from last year to this year. So... cool.

2. Terry never had any aspirations of being a professional touring disc golfer. He always knew that his skills were in promoting the sport. And that is what he has done since quitting his job at Kohl's corporate like 15 years ago. And the fact that you say, "that he wished to be" immediately tells me you have a closed mind & biased perspective on the matter without knowing jack about Terry. Kinda sounds like you are projecting a bit honestly.

3. Terry has been doing full time disc golf related stuff for 15 years. Whether it was running 15-20 events a year, putting in a few dozen courses, selling discs, running leagues, running clinics, promoting thru youth programs, being state coordinator, blogging, etc. He has been able to patch together a living thru the sport. Currently between filming post production rounds, the SmashBoxxTV & Disc Golf Guy Patreon, occasionally selling plastic, and still running an event or two is how he currently makes ends meet... Or as I like to say, doing more than almost any single person I know to promote the sport of disc golf for the past 15 years. And someday I will be happy to own the black HOF disc with his name on it.

4. What does Terry do onsite? He helps coordinate the show from the field with a little onsite tech support. This year he is doing sideline reporting and some social media. He doesn't usually have time to do interviews when he arrives at 10pm the night before an event and leaves at 6pm the day the event ends so that he can get home to his wife and 2 daughters. We all wish we had more time for projects that we will not reap any additional monetary benefits for.

We are going to continue to work with the PDGA, sponsors, and manufacturers to help promote the sport and the players while putting in countless unpaid hours a week so that you can sit back and watch disc golf for free. And we are going to enjoy every minute of it.

We are going to continue to work with the PDGA, sponsors, and manufacturers to help promote the sport and the players while putting in countless unpaid hours a week so that you can sit back and watch disc golf for free. And we are going to enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks and please do. I can't even fathom how you still continue to do this for all of us with the amount of unwarranted crap you guys get from people on an almost daily basis(and especially during the live streams).:thmbup::thmbup:

**** ugh. Sorry, I meant to put that one in a spoiler tag cause of the title and since nobody else had mentioned who won yet...

Last edited:
He could interview/highlight: pro players, local pros, course designers, TD's, volunteers, course history, practice rounds, sponsors. Just about anything, you know, good, instead of telling us it's hot out and there is very little wind.

I've been asking for this kind of stuff..for years..now. And for some reason, there is little to none of it. The worst thing is when commentators know nothing about a player on the live card. Dixon knowing nothing about Heather was crazy. They have 24 hours before the next round, seems long enough to get some "stat cheat sheets" together on hand during the show instead of asking people in the chat group for info.

I can understand that people wouldn't like him calling out all the Superchat messages, but guess what... it drove MORE Superchat messages. In fact, it drove the most Superchat we have seen (without giving away stuff). And if we can make a few hundred bucks from that, I am willing to sacrifice what some see as the professionalism of the broadcast for the cold hard cash. That may make me sound cheap, but frankly it isn't like any of us are making fat bank doing this.

You're appealing to people's egos by mentioning their name for a buck or 2. I think it was a new low for live disc golf commentary and the DGPT. Both Dixon and Robert work for DD, I wonder if Jeremy Rusco would allow this to go on at GBO?

Seriously...you've been in the business for a long time now...do you really think... "Hey man, Joe just donated 2.00 for tacos, thanks for the support man." jokingly or not, is good for the sport in general? Hey..I'm all for you guys making money but "I am willing to sacrifice what some see as the professionalism of the broadcast for the cold hard cash." is a bit concerning. If you're looking for ways to monetize the live viewers then I would suggest raffling off a basket (or something worthwhile) just for the super chat donations, where every donation of a dollar or more gets you an entry ticket. I would also only publicly recognize on the live broadcast donations of $50.00 or more. You would probably get the same amount overall without having to mention so many people. I definitely think there are better ways to get that "cold hard cash" without sacrificing the professionalism of the broadcast.

I get it...as a sport we're dealing with the short term realities and long term possibilities.

fpo ending was interesting

Yes very, but both Cat and Paige made some very odd shot selections. . even McCall was questioning Paiges choices at times.

Paiges C2 putting saved her.. . her overall putting is great at the moment, that was her big problem in early 2019

I feels like when Paiges putter is hot her driving is all over the place. . .but then she have times when the driving is just fine but the putt is terrible

Heather outplayed both Cat and Paige in the R3 B9. .Heather was +1 . . Paige +4 and Cat +2 .... and her play on those holes looked solid, Paige and Cat was all over the course

Dixon knowing nothing about Heather was crazy. They have 24 hours before the next round, seems long enough to get some "stat cheat sheets" together on hand during the show instead of asking people in the chat group for info.
What if I told you that Heather started playing disc golf in late 2017? Are you still amazed even a disc golf nerd like Dixon knows barely anything? FPO is still small enough for a talent like Heather to just rocket into the pro scene out of nowhere.

They talked to Heather before the round about what discs she was throwing on each hole so they did have some info. .

Insane that she started to play in late 2017, and still manage to outplay Paige and Cat on a few holes.

My guess is that she will have a sponsor very soon. .

What if I told you that Heather started playing disc golf in late 2017? Are you still amazed even a disc golf nerd like Dixon knows barely anything? FPO is still small enough for a talent like Heather to just rocket into the pro scene out of nowhere.

Agreed. But.. what if I told you one google search for "Heather Young disc golf pdga" and 5 minutes of my time would give me enough info for any commentator to utilize in a live broadcast, at least for the first hole tee off. ;)

Insane that she started to play in late 2017, and still manage to outplay Paige and Cat on a few holes. My guess is that she will have a sponsor very soon. .

For sure, she seems very sponsor friendly. Her form on the tee looked very powerful, yet her distance seemed to be lacking on quite a few shots.

A friend of mine Bob Roberts was out there all day today getting interviews with players. Some of the Ohio/Kentucky tourney guys on here will probably know him. Was a pretty good adv/pro masters player till his hips went out on him a couple years ago.

First one he posted is with Conrad who gives a brief explanation for the beard removal. A bit different kind of interview than you will normally see. He figured that most of them give the classic post round interviews all the time and decided to ask each of them 5 "fun facts" about themselves.

I'll probably post a couple others key vids but if any of you are interested in seeing the rest as they come out, here's the link to his channel...(so far this is the first DG content he has done)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPBCeTar9DfSQFwi-KdPG-Q

Here's the one with young Zach…

This is the kind of stuff we need to see before and or during the live events. We're all into the technical side of the sport without really learning a bit more about the players themselves. I'm not saying we need to dive into their personal lives, but I wish we could learn more about the history of our elite players. Lifetime stats, favorite courses, favorite moments, etc, etc. Thx for sharing these vids. Good stuff.

For sure, she seems very sponsor friendly. Her form on the tee looked very powerful, yet her distance seemed to be lacking on quite a few shots.

I don´t know if she lacks distance or just played smart. .. i feel like Idlewild for the FPO is about playing smart and avoid big mistakes. . .Paige won at +13!

It would be fun to see the score Paige can make at this course if she ONLY throws her throwing putters and stayed away from Drivers.
The distance is not the problem on most holes, it´s staying in the fairway...and avoid those big numbers

**** ugh. Sorry, I meant to put that one in a spoiler tag cause of the title and since nobody else had mentioned who won yet...

Who cares...if you don't want the tournament spoiled don't look at the thread. We are here to talk about the tournament and the winner is part of that discussion. This whole whining about spoilers is getting old.

Congrats to KJ...he's looking like a real contender going into Worlds this year.

I've been asking for this kind of stuff..for years..now. And for some reason, there is little to none of it. The worst thing is when commentators know nothing about a player on the live card. Dixon knowing nothing about Heather was crazy. They have 24 hours before the next round, seems long enough to get some "stat cheat sheets" together on hand during the show instead of asking people in the chat group for info.

You're appealing to people's egos by mentioning their name for a buck or 2. I think it was a new low for live disc golf commentary and the DGPT. Both Dixon and Robert work for DD, I wonder if Jeremy Rusco would allow this to go on at GBO?

Seriously...you've been in the business for a long time now...do you really think... "Hey man, Joe just donated 2.00 for tacos, thanks for the support man." jokingly or not, is good for the sport in general? Hey..I'm all for you guys making money but "I am willing to sacrifice what some see as the professionalism of the broadcast for the cold hard cash." is a bit concerning. If you're looking for ways to monetize the live viewers then I would suggest raffling off a basket (or something worthwhile) just for the super chat donations, where every donation of a dollar or more gets you an entry ticket. I would also only publicly recognize on the live broadcast donations of $50.00 or more. You would probably get the same amount overall without having to mention so many people. I definitely think there are better ways to get that "cold hard cash" without sacrificing the professionalism of the broadcast.

I get it...as a sport we're dealing with the short term realities and long term possibilities.

Yes, I completely get that we are appealing to people's base instinct for recognition. And I am conflicted in a few avenues.
1. Sponsors pay REAL money for actual ad reads and commercials and we are giving them out at a discount when we do this.
2. We work on less than a shoestring budget, so if we can make an extra $1500 thru the weekend, is it worth it in the short term?
3. Younger viewers are used to this type of recognition these days. It is extremely popular with streaming, which is the reason Superchat was created in the first place. So do we sacrifice what we have come to know in standard professional sports for a more modern system popular with streamers? Honestly not sure what the right answer is.

As far as other assets or pieces in the broadcast, I would LOVE to have time to throw that stuff together. If I were completely in charge of the broadcast, I would probably approach it a bit differently than we currently are. I would like to cut the actual commercial breaks down by about a third, and add additional "lower third" commercials in place. Make the actual breaks more valuable. I honestly think that the manufacturers are starting to get worn out on sponsoring media in general.

PS. I agree with Streets, if you don't want to be spoiled, don't come in the tournament thread. Keep posting those vids.

Who cares...if you don't want the tournament spoiled don't look at the thread. We are here to talk about the tournament and the winner is part of that discussion. This whole whining about spoilers is getting old.
I'm honestly baffled by the "spoiler" thing. I mean I used to pop in to these threads to quickly find out who won. Now there is all this tiptoeing around talking about who won; it makes no sense to me. Want to wait to know who won until you watched a video? Don't read the thread about the tournament until after you have watched it.

I´m one of the people that write in the tread as the round is beeing played, and i have never got any sh*t for that yet.

If a tournament is live, you have to be able to talk about it in that tournaments tread. . thats not even a question, the question is "what are you doing in this tread if you don´t want to know whats happening in the tournament?"

I'm honestly baffled by the "spoiler" thing. I mean I used to pop in to these threads to quickly find out who won. Now there is all this tiptoeing around talking about who won; it makes no sense to me. Want to wait to know who won until you watched a video? Don't read the thread about the tournament until after you have watched it.

Yeah...I guess some snowflakes want the rest of the world to pause for them while they quarantine themselves until they've watched the tournament.

Oh and spoilerflakes:

Congrats to Kevin Jones for taking down the win!!!