• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Memorial Championship

I get what you are saying about a big tree on the green but the reality is, you are using the natural elements to your advantage. Much like hyzering into a slope to get the disc to stick in the ground. Or using a low throw with a wide rimmed driver to skip off of hard ground to gain distance or direction. Or utilizing a roller when the groundskeeper has cut the grass really short. Or like we saw at the Ledgestone last year, Ried Frescura was intentionally skipping discs off the water to get them to stick to the green on 17. I say if a part of the course can be used to gain an advantage then that's just smart play. Why penalize it?

Interesting that you cite Reid Frescura. What would have happened if his disc didn't skip and sunk in the water instead? He'd have been OB, right? So he's taking a risk skipping that disc on the water. The water is just part of the course that can be used to gain an advantage. Why penalize discs that end up in that water?

I mean, the whole point of course design is to set up obstacles that impede the player's ability to complete the hole in as few throws as possible. Some such obstacles are penalty areas. I see no reason that 2 meters up in a particular tree or set of trees can't be a penalty area the same as a body of water or a parking lot or a road. But there has to be some thought and reason behind it. Making that tree on the green subject to the 2m penalty has some thought and reason behind it. Calling everything over 2m a penalty doesn't.

If a disc ends up on top one of those elevated baskets, does the 2 meter rule apply then also? Seems inconsistent if it doesn't. It would not be out of bounds, but has come to rest more than 2 meters above the ground.

If a disc ends up on top one of those elevated baskets, does the 2 meter rule apply then also? Seems inconsistent if it doesn't. It would not be out of bounds, but has come to rest more than 2 meters above the ground.

No, and it isn't inconsistent because the rule specifically addresses it.

805.02 Disc Above Two Meters
C. A disc supported by the target for the hole being played is not subject to the two-meter rule.

I don't think anyone congratulated our little Chick Pea for winning this tourney. He is only 20 years old. I have a feeling that Eagle's reign is drawing nigh.

saw it on fb

Where at on FB? Could you link? It seems odd to me that this isn't being discussed more if there is any truth to it. We go on for pages about a foot fault call/no call, it seems like drinking while playing would be an even juicier story for the rules police.

What would have happened if his disc didn't skip and sunk in the water instead?

Same thing that happens when you can't get your disc out of the tree in a reasonable amount of time and play without undue delay. You play the rest of the round without the disc thats stuck in the tree. While the rules are far from specific on this 3.02 does say that players are to make every effort to keep up with the group ahead of them. Spending 10 minutes throwing water bottles up in a tree to get your plastic down is not unlike spending 10 minutes swimming in the water to get your drowning disc back and both are a violation IMHO of 3.02 especially if its holding up the group or the group behind.

Where at on FB? Could you link? It seems odd to me that this isn't being discussed more if there is any truth to it. We go on for pages about a foot fault call/no call, it seems like drinking while playing would be an even juicier story for the rules police.

apparently it was under reported and or people chose to not want to believe it im not going to go back and try to find it feel free to research it if you want or not it was for sure on fb

it really doesnt make a difference to me as most people wouldnt pass a drug test its just you wear it on your sleeve when because it gets the breath a stankin pretty quick

Same thing that happens when you can't get your disc out of the tree in a reasonable amount of time and play without undue delay. You play the rest of the round without the disc thats stuck in the tree. While the rules are far from specific on this 3.02 does say that players are to make every effort to keep up with the group ahead of them. Spending 10 minutes throwing water bottles up in a tree to get your plastic down is not unlike spending 10 minutes swimming in the water to get your drowning disc back and both are a violation IMHO of 3.02 especially if its holding up the group or the group behind.

What in the world does any of that have to do with my question? I thought we were talking about the penalty aspect of the 2-meter rule. Retrieving the disc (or not) and whatever time it may take (out of a tree or out of water) to do that has nothing to do with the penalty. You seemed to be arguing that there shouldn't ever be a penalty for a disc being suspended over 2 meters, so that's what I was addressing with my posts.

Hope Sarah Hokom can get that GYRO going for the next tourney. Not sure why she's struggling.

Not sure how she could be struggling, she's been telling everyone on facebook that she's throwing way further with less effort with gyro plastic. I pointed out the fact that most discs will seem that way when you stop throwing a Firebird on 65% of your teeshots.

Are people still complaining about the media coverage? From this consumers point of view, what I've watched was well done. Nice job to all involved.

The travesty of this whole scenario is the amount of entitlement and lack of appreciation in this thread.

I must have missed the memo indicating open season on those that are delivering free content to us for entertainment. :wall:

What in the world does any of that have to do with my question? I thought we were talking about the penalty aspect of the 2-meter rule. Retrieving the disc (or not) and whatever time it may take (out of a tree or out of water) to do that has nothing to do with the penalty. You seemed to be arguing that there shouldn't ever be a penalty for a disc being suspended over 2 meters, so that's what I was addressing with my posts.

You asked the question I gave an answer.

And yes, that's exactly what I am argueing. You should never get a stroke penalty for a disc over 2m because it is often a self penalizing situation. Water is different because it is not part of the normal playing surface. If I throw it into a tree and it just happens to get randomly stuck there I get a penalty just seems silly and punitive to me. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks so since the PDGA made the 2m rule optional.

Hope Sarah Hokom can get that GYRO going for the next tourney. Not sure why she's struggling.

My guess is not enough spin* and too much OAT. From what I saw in the Las Vegas coverage either the disc faded out quickly or it flipped over and never came back. Time to grab a stack of Volts and go do some field work.

*You have to spin the disc if you want to activate the gyro.

apparently it was under reported and or people chose to not want to believe it im not going to go back and try to find it feel free to research it if you want or not it was for sure on fb

it really doesnt make a difference to me as most people wouldnt pass a drug test its just you wear it on your sleeve when because it gets the breath a stankin pretty quick

That's wild... for the record, I wasn't questioning you or anything, I really was just wanting to see where it came from.

It just seems weird to me, especially with the weird coincidence of having Val on commentary. Like I am sure it happens, and I don't really care at all, but there were such strong opinions when a caddy for an FPO player decided to have a beer (allegedly), that it seems like this would be a bigger deal for some.

IIRC it was another player that narc'd out Val's caddy, so if it's true Paige better be more discreet.

Now that I think about it a little... it would explain some of her decision making during the round... hahaha jkjk

That's wild... for the record, I wasn't questioning you or anything, I really was just wanting to see where it came from.

It just seems weird to me, especially with the weird coincidence of having Val on commentary. Like I am sure it happens, and I don't really care at all, but there were such strong opinions when a caddy for an FPO player decided to have a beer (allegedly), that it seems like this would be a bigger deal for some.

IIRC it was another player that narc'd out Val's caddy, so if it's true Paige better be more discreet.

Now that I think about it a little... it would explain some of her decision making during the round... hahaha jkjk

lolol but if people are reluctant to call someone for a clear foot fault i doubt they would wanna make the wild accusation of someone using some substances i sure wouldnt want to get that fire rolling especially with the same competitors most of the NT regardless if right or wrong just the call out could be more trouble than its worth

pros and cons of everything i suppose

Just watched the final round. Was hoping for more of a battle between Simon and Eagle there. Eagle left the door open only going -8, but Simon wasn't able to capitalize. The whole lead card seemed to struggle a bit that final round. No one finished the round at double digits under par. Simon went -30 at the two rounds at Fountain Hills, but only -15 for the two rounds at Vista. Simon had the hotter rounds, but Eagle played the more consistent golf overall. Happy to see the Crush Boys go 1-2 at the Memorial 2 years running.

Great showing from Jalle Stoor. Fun to watch someone succeed at the memorial throwing controlled up the middle shots while Simon and Eagle just hyzered over everything.

Big ups to Eveliina Salonen. -8 Final Round with PP putting on the pressure is a big deal. Great to see her get a big US tournament win and have her long trip pay off for her. Finland has a couple great young FPO players in Salonen and Henna Blomroos. When they are playing well they are right there with the best FPO has to offer. I said it after LVC, but it feels like FPO is finally getting some depth near the top. Cat is playing pretty well this year, Weese has looked good, Bjerkaas is good and improving, Hokom should figure stuff out. Definitely the most interesting I can remember the FPO division being over the several seasons I've followed the pro scene closely.

DGPT live coverage was fine for what it was. The post-produced still leaves a lot to be desired. Not going to lie, the tournament feels like less of a big deal to me with the meh post-produced coverage. The LVC felt more important because the post-produced coverage was so much better. Last year when Jomez and CCDG were doing coverage for both, the NT and the DGPT felt like they were on similar levels. Less so with the post-production coverage discrepancy.