• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Ledgestone Insurance Open Aug 13-16

I've played Idlewild but not Northwood--what is it about it that makes it play 2.5 hours longer than Idlewild? That's even with 2 cards at once on the par 5's. Both are tough courses, lots of red on the scorecard, etc. Is it just the thicker and more frequently landed-in rough? Tons of time looking for discs?

Idlewild just flowed better this year for some reason, not sure why. The first couple years they were having 4-430hr rounds.

What?

3 is never, ever....

4 is one of 182 players yesterday....

Scoring average first round of 6.71....it is the most beastly hole on tour (especially being a part 5, which are generally soft)...

But after spectating World's last year, spent 3 rounds udisc scoring groups on Northwood, 2 MPO, 1 FPO....it is an incredible design and probably the best disc golf hole I've ever seen (beats #5 at USDGC which I spectated in 2018)...a true challenge, a score separator, and a hole that requires precise shots and decision-making...an epic hole...a masterpiece...

I believe Paul McBeth said it is his favorite hole in disc golf...and even he has never birdied it...and struggles like a journeyman pro on it...

hole 12

12 is such a solid hole

there is a half pint version of that around here but r to l

first drive is up hill and wooded and you need to hit this flat landing area then second drive is again up hill and guardians trees to the pin

3 is rare and 4 is respectable and 5 is about right and 6-8 happens
I've seen a fair #of courses, several of them championship caliber.

Most holes that long are pretty open. Some have trees. Some have thick rough that make you really pay for missing the fairway. Some have OB.

But I can't recall playing a 1000 footer that was so well wooded and has thick, gnarly rough... plus OB to boot.

Even if you throw it down the fairway, there are more than enough trees that could give a good shot a nasty kick OB, or into nasty shule. That is sooo not a bomber hole.

My only hope would be to play connect the dots with a Buzzz... and I'm sure I'm underestimating how hard that would be.

Last edited:
I've seen a fair #of courses, several of them championship caliber.

Most holes that long are pretty open. Some have trees. Some have thick rough that make you really pay for missing the fairway. Some have OB.

But I can't recall playing a 1000 footer that was so well wooded and has thick, gnarly rough... plus OB to boot.

Even if you throw it down the fairway, there are more than enough trees that could give a good shot a nasty kick OB, or into nasty shule. That is sooo not a bomber hole.

My only hope would be to play connect the dots with a Buzzz... and I'm sure I'm underestimating how hard that would be.

around me locally is only in the 500-700 ish range with the heavy wood plus distance

maybe bear at highbridge had something that grueling but i was pretty well in the bag when i played that

the ob is a kick while youre down

i always want to think i would play smartly conservative but on a smaller scale every time i play brp hole 4 with only an ion i usually shoot a 3 (or 4) but its way moar tempting to go for the d

played league one time with someone at hidden lake in mn who threw a buzz 90% off the tee and hit fairway 90% of the time def some wisdom in playing within your skill while keeping it on the fairway

theory and practice are so different tho

I'm not sure I'm a fan of MPO playing two courses and FPO playing one. It's a catch22 I suppose. FPO should play courses that best match their ratings. So maybe that's Sunset Hills. But that also means that two courses, including one temp course, aren't including designs for play at their ratings. Maybe I'm missing something.

52 more this week and there seems to be a few more on the low end than at Idle. Not sure about start times

10 minute intervals for tee times at Northwood is pushing it. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes just bumping it to 12 minutes. That would require cutting the field by a couple dozen players, though.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of MPO playing two courses and FPO playing one. It's a catch22 I suppose. FPO should play courses that best match their ratings. So maybe that's Sunset Hills. But that also means that two courses, including one temp course, aren't including designs for play at their ratings. Maybe I'm missing something.

10 minute intervals for tee times at Northwood is pushing it. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes just bumping it to 12 minutes. That would require cutting the field by a couple dozen players, though.

They need to have two pools for MPO if they are going to play two courses... especially with that many damn players.

I think teetimes for most of the field were 15min at Idlewild but I could be wrong.

They need to have two pools for MPO if they are going to play two courses... especially with that many damn players.

I think teetimes for most of the field were 15min at Idlewild but I could be wrong.

The whole game seems to be seeing how big a field they can attract.

WOW:eek: What a an f'n shot by Barsby on 12...
Now I know what you were talking about...
That was one helluva shot by Barsby, and helped him grab his share of the lead. Ricky's roller was nice as well. Not surprising they had a couple of the best shots of the day.

But the skip off the pond and the tree kick birdie were more lock than skill.

I wonder if the PDGA would ever consider starting 1/2 the field on hole 1 and half the field on 10 like the PGA does for most tournaments. The PGA then reduces the field for the final 2 days and everyone starts on hole 1 for the final 2 rounds.

mo playas, mo money
Anytime the answer to a question can be "money," that's it's the right answer. Maybe not the only answer, but it's at least part of the answer.

Doesn't matter if you're talking about DG or something completely unrelated, it's a consideration in pretty much everything humans do.

Except for maybe breathing.

I wonder if the PDGA would ever consider starting 1/2 the field on hole 1 and half the field on 10 like the PGA does for most tournaments. The PGA then reduces the field for the final 2 days and everyone starts on hole 1 for the final 2 rounds.
That only works for disc golf fields up to 80 or so, possibly after a cut, because the first groups of the day will get to holes 1 or 10 by the time 72 to 80 players have started.

PDGA doesn't dictate that. Tournaments are free to start as they wish.

Beaver State Fling has done that for the last several years (always?). It's an interesting method, but it's certainly not a cure-all. If you don't time it perfectly (and if the players don't play at the exact same pace every round, every year), it can introduce more problems than it solves.
I also saw players sitting on the bench at hole 1 who weren't up next on the start list. "Dude, you're not on the list here, what are you doing sitting here?" "We started on hole 10. We've been sitting here for a few minutes. I guess we have to wait until the tee times at hole 1 are done before we can continue our round..."

Idlewild had 12 minute intervals. 32 groups between 7:22 and 1:40 (1 gap).

Ledgestone has 10 minute intervals. 50 groups between 7:20 and 3:30 (4 gaps)

The mathematical maximums for a packed course running tee times from 7:20am through 3:30pm are 50 groups (200 players) for 10 minute intervals and 42 groups (168 players) for 12 minute intervals. It just depends on your priorities and preferences.

Additionally, I'd bet their logic for not splitting MPO into pools is that they're using Northwood for other divisions on Saturday and Sunday. That would require reworking the schedule for the entire tournament.

Paiges play on hole 3 is SOO bad . . she gets outplayed every time

She have now gone +2 +1 +1 on that hole..and for what?! All the other girls on the card play that hole for the par, SMART!!. . Paige ceeps making the same mistake every round!!

Paiges play on hole 3 is SOO bad . . she gets outplayed every time

She have now gone +2 +1 +1 on that hole..and for what?! All the other girls on the card play that hole for the par, SMART!!. . Paige ceeps making the same mistake every round!!

Take this for whut it's worth from a Joe Blowhard like me. Her worst round still beats my best on any course, on any day. But...

Mitigating risk is by far the biggest flaw in Paige's game. Lord knows she can drive, putt, shape lines, and she's mentally tough. I love how she goes for long putts with abandon. But she really needs to figure out how play her percentages better. She'd make a terrible MLB manager.

It's not about whether she should/shouldn't take chances. It's about knowing when to.

Latest posts