• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Expectations and Pushing your Limits

Recently started linking the brace with the left shoulder in max coil. That and trying to not open my chest to the target seems to get my throw arm (RHBH) fully open. Those two thoughts keep me mostly on the good foot, though if I'm stiff or tired my body will often not fully commit to the shot. I get the plane/release angle set first, then let those two ideas get me there.

The picking up something with «heft», swing it around and tjen switch to a disc never worked for me. I dont remember the thread, but someone said something in the lines of: «if the swing doesnt make your body brace ( like something that weighs more than a handful of whipped cream does automatically for you ) you cannot create this artifically, regardless of what drills you do».

The picking up something with «heft», swing it around and tjen switch to a disc never worked for me. I dont remember the thread, but someone said something in the lines of: «if the swing doesnt make your body brace ( like something that weighs more than a handful of whipped cream does automatically for you ) you cannot create this artifically, regardless of what drills you do».

I've always wondered about the heavy disc, and kind of mentally revised it to be heavy arm or hand. It's the mass of your arm/hand, really, more than the additional weight of the disc I suspect. You can get that feeling without a disc at all.

CompleteConcreteGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

I've always wondered about the heavy disc, and kind of mentally revised it to be heavy arm or hand. It's the mass of your arm/hand, really, more than the additional weight of the disc I suspect. You can get that feeling without a disc at all.

I agree that the concept is more 'heavy arm' than 'heavy disc'.

But, I also understand just how easy it is to go full on derp once you pick up a disc, so I think I kinda get the terminology lol.

That and trying to not open my chest to the target seems to get my throw arm (RHBH) fully open. .

Yes! This is precisely why you see a lot of pros like Eagle and Paul who shoot that off left arm down and straight next to their body, it's basically another "brace" to keep them/remind them to not open that chest early to really help get that throw arm open. It's weird/hard to explain, but for me it feels like the angle in which you run up in your X step is very important, and being off/facing the target too much is probably one of the biggest silent distance killers of them all.

Way too many people are angled in the X step in which they are facing the target too much, which causes the chest to open early (because it's already partially open), the plant foot is open (because the whole chain follows in suit) and subsequently not only is their foot brace week, but also the off arm brace is non existing because the chest opens and that arm whips around super early, all which collapses the throwing arm/leads to hugging yourself.

Yes! This is precisely why you see a lot of pros like Eagle and Paul who shoot that off left arm down and straight next to their body, it's basically another "brace" to keep them/remind them to not open that chest early to really help get that throw arm open. It's weird/hard to explain, but for me it feels like the angle in which you run up in your X step is very important, and being off/facing the target too much is probably one of the biggest silent distance killers of them all.

Way too many people are angled in the X step in which they are facing the target too much, which causes the chest to open early (because it's already partially open), the plant foot is open (because the whole chain follows in suit) and subsequently not only is their foot brace week, but also the off arm brace is non existing because the chest opens and that arm whips around super early, all which collapses the throwing arm/leads to hugging yourself.

Don't mistake the off arm as an active action, its a passive action.

Those who try and play slinky doo dah double move are doomed to open their chest early and pull the disc right due to over rotation.

The off arm when in the correct position will resist the rotation. aka, equal/opposite. When your primary is pushing out, your off arm will naturally swim/push back. IF its in the right position, close to you.

I try and stress to people this is a passive action, not an active action.

Drew stresses' this in his clinics because people got hooked up on slinky double move, and they just hammer him about it.
And he flat tells everyone "my off arm is relaxed. I'm not trying to do anything with it."

I personally think at this point people are putting to much effort into off arm anything.

Stick the back of your hand on your butt cheek, or stick your hand in your pocket and forget about it while you learn to swing.

I always thought there was some magic sauce there, but it was due to my lack of understanding of the overall biomechanics and not using my brain to actually think about things like equal and opposite reactions to generate stability, bracing and power.

Those who try and play slinky doo dah double move are doomed to open their chest early and pull the disc right due to over rotation.

The off arm when in the correct position will resist the rotation. aka, equal/opposite. When your primary is pushing out, your off arm will naturally swim/push back. IF its in the right position, close to you.

Drew stresses' this in his clinics because people got hooked up on slinky double move, and they just hammer him about it.
And he flat tells everyone "my off arm is relaxed. I'm not trying to do anything with it."

I personally think at this point people are putting to much effort into off arm anything.

Stick the back of your hand on your butt cheek, or stick your hand in your pocket and forget about it while you learn to swing.

I always thought there was some magic sauce there, but it was due to my lack of understanding of the overall biomechanics and not using my brain to actually think about things like equal and opposite reactions to generate stability, bracing and power.

Ugh this one gets murky but I do agree with your take. I genuinely cannot tell what exactly is happening but its definitely not an arm action. The rear shoulder has a feeling to me when I play around and concentrate on it, but in the end, if you are consciously using the rear arm or rear shoulder as a swing-thought its probably not going to work out.

I can absolutely see someone looking at GG and thinking there is more to it, but the reality of what is happening with the rear shoulder/arm is not very exciting in the end.

Still trying to figure this out. At this moment i just try to keep it close to my body, so it doesn't act like dead weight.

How does the rear arm get "natural" to its correct place? Is it a matter of a good brace? Proper swing motion? Having a hard time here lol.

Ugh this one gets murky but I do agree with your take. I genuinely cannot tell what exactly is happening but its definitely not an arm action. The rear shoulder has a feeling to me when I play around and concentrate on it, but in the end, if you are consciously using the rear arm or rear shoulder as a swing-thought its probably not going to work out.

I can absolutely see someone looking at GG and thinking there is more to it, but the reality of what is happening with the rear shoulder/arm is not very exciting in the end.

Still trying to figure this out. At this moment i just try to keep it close to my body, so it doesn't act like dead weight.

How does the rear arm get "natural" to its correct place? Is it a matter of a good brace? Proper swing motion? Having a hard time here lol.

This is why I don't agree with huge flurishes on your backswing with the off arm.

Drew holds his tight and relaxes it when he braces and just lets it fall.

I've always had an off arm issue being a huge chicken wing, so I've been holding the back of my hand on my buttcheek and actively trying to keep it there till it does it on its own.

But when my arm is back there, its a far more powerful swing even with me trying to hold it from chicken winging vs me trying to drive it through or whatever else.

But that's the whole idea behind the swim move talked about here. And I felt as if it was an active move for a long time where we needed to swim, but it's more of a passive move, the body will naturally counter the forces we are putting into the swing, we dont need to help it.

and yes, it looks like some of the top pro's are doing some fancy move with their off arm, and they might be, but if you get yourself into position properly and swing, it will look like you are too, because our body has 2 sides to it, the other side has to do something.

And a lot of these players weird things are from stuff they have tried over the years, old swings, or just ways they have found to keep things tight.

I think that in the high end of things there are some little things you can do with it, but that's speculation at this point.

My form is so jacked as it is over the years of trying everyones things trying to figure out how it works or if it works and stuff. The off arm was a 3 year journey and I can confidently say, there is no magical off arm thing except to keep it close and let it do its natural thing.

GG's form is weird though, but he's been smashing discs since he was like 8, high distance.
And at one point GG was a BIG dude. His form is what it is. But its not some rotate the shoulders faster movement.
Its a resist the rotation style movement. The off arm is bracing for the swing. It's just obnoxious looking.

Just 2 quotes I find interesting feom the article Brychanus posted:

"And over the past 10 years that's happened. The max-velocity guy might be one mile per hour faster than it was 10 years ago. But it's really crowded. Every team has 95-plus. Pitchers now, everyone is pushing their body to the limit, but I don't think the limit could go up, because I don't think the ligaments and tendons can go farther."

So there is a limit to how fast a disc can be thrown as the body is capped at the force tendons and ligaments can hold.

"But the one question that was basically the telltale about who ended up having surgery at the high school level was, 'Did you routinely keep pitching after you were fatigued?'"

Maybe that piece of advice about throwing your arm off during practice is not the way to go. Also a reminder to just go home when throws start to feel bad.

So there is a limit to how fast a disc can be thrown as the body is capped at the force tendons and ligaments can hold.

"But the one question that was basically the telltale about who ended up having surgery at the high school level was, 'Did you routinely keep pitching after you were fatigued?'"

Maybe that piece of advice about throwing your arm off during practice is not the way to go. Also a reminder to just go home when throws start to feel bad.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
This is why I don't like field work>
I teach to do things in smaller sessions or practice in a more normal way, such as playing.
Or to take your time.

Fatigue is what hurts everyone.

I got curious about Spencer Strider after watching him against the Phillies throwing 102mph heat even after 90 pitches. It turns out he has quite an interesting background.

Despite the sensationalist title, when it comes to expectations and pushing limits, I thought this article told a beautiful tale about stubborn perseverance, psychology, mechanics, injuries, and fitness.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
This is why I don't like field work>
I teach to do things in smaller sessions or practice in a more normal way, such as playing.
Or to take your time.

Fatigue is what hurts everyone.
I do a lot of field work. But, I have learned when I start throwing worse because I am tired, it is time to quit. I used to throw through that a lot, keep going, but now I realize it will mostly just lead to frustration, and even risk injury, so I quit. Time to rest, or study the game - I can always throw more tomorrow or the next day.