• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Expectations and Pushing your Limits

That's why I asked, don't want to torque my elbow and end up having to lay off when I think I might be making progress.

Oh one other thought I remembered this AM in a few swings because I was tinkering a bit. Most people have a low, medium, and high arm slot that may all be comfortable and useable like SW22 shows in battering ram. Mcbeth usually swings from a high one for accuracy unless he's really mashing it. I think Simon tends to a bit on the low side. Gibson is in the middle. When I did the hammer tips there I was showing my low slot, but when swing at the bag on more hyzer I tend to prefer the medium slot. I'm not sure about safety implications so I'm taking that slow too. I think I like the low and medium ones for myself and it may vary by body type.

Oh one other thought I remembered this AM in a few swings because I was tinkering a bit. Most people have a low, medium, and high arm slot that may all be comfortable and useable like SW22 shows in battering ram. Mcbeth usually swings from a high one for accuracy unless he's really mashing it. I think Simon tends to a bit on the low side. Gibson is in the middle. When I did the hammer tips there I was showing my low slot, but when swing at the bag on more hyzer I tend to prefer the medium slot. I'm not sure about safety implications so I'm taking that slow too. I think I like the low and medium ones for myself and it may vary by body type.

Then there is Matt Orum.

Simon throws from a higher slot too when he throws upshots.

I need to revisit this topic with my swing though.
I moved up high for everything for follow through stuff.

Good read all through this thread! I can see people discussing hammer drills a lot and thought i would weigh in with my opinion.

Keep in mind, that I've been playing for 2 years only and been injured for 50% of the time. I'm 34.

I'm tall (6.2) and rather skinny, having a background of elite badminton and i actually thought that i would be throwing 500 in a year.. boy i was wrong. My FH distance quickly went to 400-420, but the BH was NOTHING like I've done before. I've spend MANY hours in the field, doing drills, practicing every aspect, but generally not getting too much distance out of it.. accuracy is way better, but distance wise I've been capped just sub 400 (on a lucky throw. More like 330 on average).. until i played around with a hammer..

In the holidays whenever my kid were playing outside, i would just bring a Hammer, dingle it around with a "loose" arm. Not trying to mimick the actual throw, but more in a pendulum swing to get the feeling of when to shift, brace and tense up in the core. In a matter of a week, with maybe 3 hours of dingling a hammer in total, i located my major flaws in my throw (reachback peaking to soon, "pulling" to soon and generally being off sync with "chain".) I had a 400/430 throw shortly after.. feeling like i barely threw that MF'er.

Tl;Dr : for ME, the hammer drills is not about throwing it with correct form. It's more about giving you a hint regarding how your body mechanics should be. Because of a disc being nearly weightless, people tend to spin out, "pulling" too soon and not shifting/bracing. Try to throw a hammer like that and you're gonna have a baaaaad time.

When my 4 year old daughter throw stuff in a BH motion, she got a more decent "form" than 80% of the form reviews i see - mainly because she's small and need to use her body correctly to get some power behind it.

Tl;Dr part 2 : throw a bloody hammer. It will do you good, if you lack the "basic" of a throw

Tl;Dr part 2 : throw a bloody hammer. It will do you good, if you lack the "basic" of a throw

I washed all the blood off them after I disposed of the bodies.

Would a non bloody hammer work? =D

This is why I keep most of my hammers off screen

I'm pretty new around here, but i guess it's
your youtube channel? (Or?)

Just watched the video above and in pretty amazed by the indepth explanation (thoughts?) of swinging a hammer and the benefits of it. Definitely gonna spend some time next week, working with the hammer.

I'm pretty new around here, but i guess it's
your youtube channel? (Or?)

Just watched the video above and in pretty amazed by the indepth explanation (thoughts?) of swinging a hammer and the benefits of it. Definitely gonna spend some time next week, working with the hammer.

Yeah, that's me!

I basically make vids as soon as it helps me drive home my own learning but before it's so far behind me that I forget what it was like to learn it the first time. The downside is that there's always stuff I can see that's wrong in hindsight so I try to caveat that frequently and revisit older concepts again when I can do them better myself.

I'm obviously a big fan of SW22's instruction (and loopghost concepts & similar) and just try to add my own way of framing it and sharing the ideas. Shawn Clement is even more strongly influencing me recently. I'm becoming really fond of seeking intuitive motions that help get the body moving rather than overthinking everything.

This and the next couple vids will also use some of my martial arts and dancing background more since that seems to add a distinct slant relative to other things out there & hopefully helps connect some dots for some people.

And I **** you not, hitting that bag with a hammer like I do at 3:54 with my disc golf form was a truly deep revelation. You need the whole chain to work, and the chain works better when you clean up the swing with hammers. My body didn't really ever know what I was asking it to do until I hit the bag.

This might be how you're feeling right now (Credit to Rastnav):

Maybe (probably) hammer strikes clicked faster for me because I already did years of martial arts. But in any case, if slashing or throwing hammers isn't totally clicking, try hitting something. Hit through the target (release point). Just like boxing, it's way easier to learn it in a stationary stance or one that only moves a little before adding strides. Then you can start slinging with more and more movement:

You may also have new problems with serious grip slips like I did today when you're getting more force coming into the hand. Or when you get ahold of one overshooting targets unintentionally. My advice there is to just grit down and push through it to make your grip learns how to get the leverage and sling it out there. I know what the endpoint of the swing should be like now, so it's a very useful guide.

I'm becoming really fond of seeking intuitive motions that help get the body moving rather than overthinking everything.

This is it, right here.

This is realistically the secret.

Yeah, that's me!

I basically make vids as soon as it helps me drive home my own learning but before it's so far behind me that I forget what it was like to learn it the first time. The downside is that there's always stuff I can see that's wrong in hindsight so I try to caveat that frequently and revisit older concepts again when I can do them better myself.

I'm obviously a big fan of SW22's instruction (and loopghost concepts & similar) and just try to add my own way of framing it and sharing the ideas. Shawn Clement is even more strongly influencing me recently. I'm becoming really fond of seeking intuitive motions that help get the body moving rather than overthinking everything.

This and the next couple vids will also use some of my martial arts and dancing background more since that seems to add a distinct slant relative to other things out there & hopefully helps connect some dots for some people.

And I **** you not, hitting that bag with a hammer like I do at 3:54 with my disc golf form was a truly deep revelation. You need the whole chain to work, and the chain works better when you clean up the swing with hammers. My body didn't really ever know what I was asking it to do until I hit the bag.

This might be how you're feeling right now (Credit to Rastnav):

Maybe (probably) hammer strikes clicked faster for me because I already did years of martial arts. But in any case, if slashing or throwing hammers isn't totally clicking, try hitting something. Hit through the target (release point). Just like boxing, it's way easier to learn it in a stationary stance or one that only moves a little before adding strides. Then you can start slinging with more and more movement:

You may also have new problems with serious grip slips like I did today when you're getting more force coming into the hand. Or when you get ahold of one overshooting targets unintentionally. My advice there is to just grit down and push through it to make your grip learns how to get the leverage and sling it out there. I know what the endpoint of the swing should be like now, so it's a very useful guide.

The first video had me laughing way too much.. I've been boxing for some time and even got a heavybag down in the basement.. haven't given it one thought, that smacking it with a hammer would benefit me in disc golf. I'm definitely gonna get the heavybag up and try it out!

I think it's the fact that a disc is too light, so your natural chain you get from throwing heavy stuff, batting, hammering etc gets thrown out of the window. Most sports has been relatively easy for me because of my understanding of body mechanics and finesse. Soccer, handball, tennis, ball golf etc, but not disc golf..

Everything i think i know, goes down the drain the exact Moment i think "yeah, im gonna throw this badboy 400 feet's".. i really have to keep a thought of "the disc is heavy, the disc is heavy" in my mind, every single time i throw it.

The first video had me laughing way too much.. I've been boxing for some time and even got a heavybag down in the basement.. haven't given it one thought, that smacking it with a hammer would benefit me in disc golf. I'm definitely gonna get the heavybag up and try it out!

I think it's the fact that a disc is too light, so your natural chain you get from throwing heavy stuff, batting, hammering etc gets thrown out of the window. Most sports has been relatively easy for me because of my understanding of body mechanics and finesse. Soccer, handball, tennis, ball golf etc, but not disc golf..

Everything i think i know, goes down the drain the exact Moment i think "yeah, im gonna throw this badboy 400 feet's".. i really have to keep a thought of "the disc is heavy, the disc is heavy" in my mind, every single time i throw it.

Definitely get that tennis or ball golf-like leverage on the late swing.

This might seem weird, but it started to help my distance the most when I did lots of neutral and mid work, then also found flippy long range drivers in the 160s where I could get easy S-lines. I work on a natural, quick hyzer angle, and let the discs do the work. That's a psychological thing- rather than seeking a 100% mash on each shot, I realize "oh, I only threw it like 80% effort. OH! 80% effort feels paradoxically effortless! 400' for free!" That might be kind of a sweet spot if you're going slow and steady. I think it helps me in particular because you can tell from my body type that I put a lot more training in on the slow-twitch end most of my life so I have to find ways to trick my body into smooth-and-slow-to-get-fast mode.

I do think you need to train differently for Max D, but just getting loose and quick has been a major challenge for me and my body is still building up resilience.

This has been getting me thinking on the outward release vs the later release style throws.

And which is better, or what is it better at. etc.

On Arm/Shoulder Ratios

This could also go under "can anyone throw 500'?" but I intended it in a slightly different spirit since it's not really meant to inflame a debate about the "correct" model for determining max potential distance. IMO it's a multivariate problem like discussed the video at the top of the 500' thread and part but not all of what inspired my Expectations & Pushing Limits.

But one thing that's hard (for me) to object to is the idea that lever length matters for distance potential. Long levers matter, and intuitively especially the ratio of arms to shoulders. Shorter levers whipping longer levers should generate the most total leverage. So if you want "ideal" levers on the top line of the body, you want really long outer levers (fingers/hands>forearms>upperarms, relatively speaking) and relatively short inner levers (narrow shoulders).

I had some idle curiosity about this, so I went looking around for anything resembling data on the physical stats of players. Of course, there's not really anything useful out there. You hear anecdotes and can find the occasional speculation about Ape/Gorilla Index (Wingspan/height) but even that's hard and doesn't necessarily correlate perfectly with arm/shoulder ratios. I definitely couldn't get anywhere with arm/shoulder ratios specifically. Anecdotally, it always looked to me like the furthest throwing pros tended to have longish arms and narrowish shoulders regardless of their height, but the eyes can deceive.

An Entirely Unprincipled but Potentially Interesting Thing

I took a painfully unscientific look at the follow through of various players the other day that ended up being more interesting than I anticipated. The angles, postures, etc. are impossible to square up perfectly, but I snipped images of various players and attempted to scale them somewhat reasonably. More importantly, I attempted to get snapshots when their arm was reaching peak extension into follow through viewed from the rear of tee when the shoulders were sorta oriented to the camera. That allowed me to get a crude arm/shoulder ratio. I took the entire shoulder width relative to the throwing arm to help mitigate a bit of error variance trying to get a measure from the spine to the throwing shoulder, and I think the whole shoulder width functions like a lever in good form anyway.

I learned a few things from this. First, I wish I had a set of normative images/data (from adult population), which I might return to from player form reviews. But I had the benefit of my own image handy and compared it to some big guns.

Compared to those dudes, I look like a T-Rex. I expect that I'm on the low end of the distribution and there's a lot of imprecision in these images, but my guess is that the arm/shoulder ratios of all of these top guys are probably at the extreme high end of the population. From that vantage point for DG, I'd much rather be 5'7'' McBeth than 6'1'' me (yes, throwing the disc from a slightly higher release point will probably get a little distance, but I'd suspect it's much smaller than the lever advantage. Further speculation: maybe another reason McBeth likes to use that high arm slot when he can).

I was interested to see GG with the "least favorable" ratio among top throwers, but recall that he throws with an exceptionally large shoulder angle and late & large forearm supination, increasing his leverage into the hit and it's probably not a coincidence that he maximizes those mechanics throwing on hyzer.

Bonus image of SW22 afterward, who stacks up favorably in this specific dimension compared to a total Stumpasaurus like me, but would still need some surgery/bionics to catch those guys regardless of height.

One could get further meticulous and break this down by each part of the arm, but the procedure is faulty enough already that I didn't want to kid myself.

Anyway, enjoy (again, the ratio is probably the closest thing to interesting, ignore the raw inputs):

8W66QBB.jpg

KOlMX3E.png

What's the moral of this story? I dunno. Maybe:

"Put in the work and enjoy the game."

Last edited:
I enjoyed this read. Figuring out where you stack up can inform your training:

https://treadathletics.com/high-velocity-training/

I've always wondered what would happen to my arm speed if i gained 30 pounds of muscle. Being build like a twig, with narrow shoulders and loooong levers, arm speed has always been "great". I wonder how much it would improve/had improved when i played badminton on a very high level or even on my disc golf throws.

Too tired and stupid to read and understand it, lol

I've always wondered what would happen to my arm speed if i gained 30 pounds of muscle. Being build like a twig, with narrow shoulders and loooong levers, arm speed has always been "great". I wonder how much it would improve/had improved when i played badminton on a very high level or even on my disc golf throws.

Too tired and stupid to read and understand it, lol

Some of it isn't super surprising. You need baseline strength in the right places to handle sufficient force/establish resilience. You get diminishing velocity returns for that, at which point you may need to shift focus to the "reactive" parts. Or you might already be springy and reactive but lack strength in some areas.

I found it useful to help triage new physical limits I'm encountering. The jump tests were really informative and helped me focus what I need to condition the most.

Last edited:
Throwing isn't truly a power/strength thing—much more technique.

Certainly you can see it in DG.

But in football, you don't see QBs with blown up biceps.

Of course training and strengthening your body can help particularly with injury resistance. But just adding a bunch of muscle mass probably shouldn't be the goal.