• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

You don't throw a forehand here? I've been flailing on this hole forever, becoming very familiar with the drop zone...

Yes. (I paid attention when I played the hole earlier today)... The default aim. Forehand. Aim significantly higher than where it starts you but straight up from where it starts you

I pull back to about where 8pm would be on a clock face. Hit off the bottom of the cage

I throw an explorer at that one unless there's a left to right tailwind (when I use the Fuse). I rarely ace it, usually just hope I don't get stuck behind a tree. So basically, take my two and keep it pushin'
The line I use is (I'm guessing here) aim a little high, a bit to the left of the mando, then put just enough anny on it to get it around the corner. If I cut it too close, usually it fights through the trees

I'm doing the opposite using a Fuse unless there is a good right to left wind, but I'm still throwing it the same way.

That's the route I'm referring to but since update I cannot aim high enough. Only worked for me if wind was right, but I was 80% eagle rate when it was.

Interesting. Every video I saw before the update had people shooting up and to the left of the basket around the 11:00 position. Probably with a forehand. I hadn't seen the 1:00 used until someone posted it on FB yesterday. I tried it and it worked. Still has to be the right wind though.

I'm in the minority who prefer the accurate/glide Fuse. I try the wind one at least three times a week because it gets talked up so much on FB, but it just hasn't clicked with me. I can control the accurate/glide one just as well because I've thrown it so much, and it goes farther. I don't know about eagle opportunities, but it definitely gives me better looks for birdie anywhere from 250-325'

I agreed with you but I think the accurate/wind Fuse is growing on me and goes a little longer in the new update. Plus, I picked up a cooler color than the standard red/black one.

I had bagged a wind/glide Fuse for a bit, but that accuracy is nice for hitting smaller landing zones.

Speaking of which, what does the "accurate" virtue actually do? Is it the release angle? Power? Landing? (I assume that would be "sticky.") All of the above?

When is "turn" useful? Some of these virtues seem like they're just negatives that you need to tolerate when getting a mold that you want.

Same, actually. I switched to just the wind/accurate Fuse last week and stuck with it. It still won't carry as far, but dialing down the effect of the wind can be a huge plus on some holes. I just had to learn to dial back a River for those 275' shots that the glide Fuse would have reached. And then I switched to an accurate/sticky Pure and learned to dial back the Fuse for those 245' shots the glide Pure would have reached.

Honestly though, I'm pretty certain that I could drop everything from my bag and throw something entirely different, and in a couple of days I'd be hitting similar scores to what I am now. Because I'm the Nate Sexton of this game. I run aces and eagles when it's safe to do so, but more often than not I go for the guaranteed birdie or par. Well, except on the night par 5 through the woods. I accidentally parked the most insane and unexpected roller you've ever seen on that hole the other day (it's on Facebook), so I've been super aggressive on that one ever since.

I agreed with you but I think the accurate/wind Fuse is growing on me and goes a little longer in the new update.

Same, actually. I switched to just the wind/accurate Fuse last week and stuck with it. It still won't carry as far, but dialing down the effect of the wind can be a huge plus on some holes. I just had to learn to dial back a River for those 275' shots that the glide Fuse would have reached. And then I switched to an accurate/sticky Pure and learned to dial back the Fuse for those 245' shots the glide Pure would have reached.

Honestly though, I'm pretty certain that I could drop everything from my bag and throw something entirely different, and in a couple of days I'd be hitting similar scores to what I am now. Because I'm the Nate Sexton of this game. I run aces and eagles when it's safe to do so, but more often than not I go for the guaranteed birdie or par. Well, except on the night par 5 through the woods. I accidentally parked the most insane and unexpected roller you've ever seen on that hole the other day (it's on Facebook), so I've been super aggressive on that one ever since.

I just got a heavy fade/roller disc. It's weird. If I throw it completely anyhyzer it still flips to the stable side and then rolls.

The disc isn't spinning that way! It makes no sense!

I've been playing since August back when my ability to play RL DG diminished greatly b/c of work and other reasons. There's three players universally considered the best at DGV, then a group of about 20 or so in the second tier (I'm in that group - M19HTYERIC is my screen name). I probably know the answer to any question you have about the game.

There has been a HUGE recent influx of new players after Lizotte/Eagle, then Lizotte/Big Jerm posted videos of playing it. As a result, the servers have been a bit glitchy lately

How in the world do you throw a roller?

When is "turn" useful? Some of these virtues seem like they're just negatives that you need to tolerate when getting a mold that you want.

I have a Turn/Glide Recoil that is pretty good. Generally it is longer and straighter than my glide Recoil. Back when the longest discs I had were Muskets the one with turn was my max distance driver. I did try it on a few other discs but didn't like it(Explorer and Fuse I think.)

So turn can be nice for getting extra distance on a drive.

How in the world do you throw a roller?

Haven't figured out a reliable method yet!
Roll discs have only been available for me for 10 days or so

I've messed around with the couple I've picked up and just have no clue so far

Someone posted a couple decent roller shots on the Facebook page a few days ago

I have a Turn/Glide Recoil that is pretty good. Generally it is longer and straighter than my glide Recoil. Back when the longest discs I had were Muskets the one with turn was my max distance driver. I did try it on a few other discs but didn't like it(Explorer and Fuse I think.)

So turn can be nice for getting extra distance on a drive.
Ditto on this. A turn disc will generally get more d thrown flat. If you really want to amp up the s-curve throw it higher a few clicks with some more anny on top of that.

Last edited:
Well, except on the night par 5 through the woods. I accidentally parked the most insane and unexpected roller you've ever seen on that hole the other day (it's on Facebook), so I've been super aggressive on that one ever since.

So you're who did that? That's just crazy. I've eagled that hole a couple times (L/EG Ballista) but never 2'd it.

My other good discs are a Pure- accurate and extra glide, and an Explorer- accurate and wind break.

... I am wasting one spot by carrying a Dagger which I only use for upshots when I don't want to go to far past the basket. I should just spend some time working on upshots with my Pure or Fuse.

The approach thing (not going past the basket), and spit-outs are why I bag the accurate/sticky Pure. I can park about anything inside 220' unless there's crazy wind. Then the accurate/wind Fuse is a little better for line shaping and good for parking from 260' or more. I agree though, even as I've gotten much better at sinking 75' shots, I'd still rather park the shot than run the basket and have a come back shot of >60'.

And I'm jealous on the accurate/wind Explorer! I'm around level 38 and still haven't seen one, though I did get lucky with some decent Recoils and the light/glide Ballista relatively early.

This is for sure the way to go, especially if one is "accurate." The Fuse is really, really straight and throw-ins from 150 and in are always a threat if you read the wind/elevation well. At least on holes where the physics work properly...

...but I should definitely start working on these throw-ins...

There's three players universally considered the best at DGV, then a group of about 20 or so in the second tier (I'm in that group - M19HTYERIC is my screen name). ...

There has been a HUGE recent influx of new players after Lizotte/Eagle, then Lizotte/Big Jerm posted videos of playing it.

I attached a screenshot. We played earlier today in a random multiplayer. I had a good showing! It's the new highlight of my career ;)

Looking back at that post, who are those top 3 players? And has that changed in the past few weeks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200509-134121_DiscGolf.jpg
    Screenshot_20200509-134121_DiscGolf.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 53
I think I played Philo the other day.

Or it was a liar pretending to be Philo.

AFAIK you can change your screen name to anything. Maybe offensiveanguage is censored? But I don't think there is any verification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425-233420_DiscGolf.jpg
    Screenshot_20200425-233420_DiscGolf.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 38
So you're who did that? That's just crazy. I've eagled that hole a couple times (L/EG Ballista) but never 2'd it.

Yeah it was the craziest thing I've seen on the game yet. Unfortunately it was in an AI tournament though so I missed the satisfaction of knowing that someone on the other end was going "WTF?!" But draining that putt for my second (at the time) albatross was pretty satisfying too.

Looking back at that post, who are those top 3 players? And has that changed in the past few weeks?

Draino and Bagger are easily two of them. Based on what I've seen on Facebook there are quite a few others vying for that 3rd spot.

AFAIK you can change your screen name to anything. Maybe offensiveanguage is censored? But I don't think there is any verification.

The verification for me was that he shot nine down. If it was a M19GTYERIC imposter, then at least he shot a reasonable score worthy of the reputation. If I'm correct, he also made the final 4 in that invitational tournament last week. So I know he's solid.

I attached a screenshot. We played earlier today in a random multiplayer. I had a good showing! It's the new highlight of my career ;)

David (David Sallee)
Draino (Shane Partridge)
Urdizzle (Michael Urbanc)

No - no change

There's now a Hall of Fame on the Facebook page with the highest documented player ratings of all time. They're still the only three who have ever topped 1000

And you beat me!! I've been playing like crap lately but it looks we both shot decent rated rounds there!