• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

If Innova is primary sponsor, and their funds are being put towards production, where is the prize pool coming from? Is each event responsible for generating their own prize pool via sponsors and fundraising? Is Innova allowing for other disc manufacturers to sponsor individual events?

I got the impression from Jussi when he pitched this to me that prize pools would come from tour sponsors and then the tournament sponsors.

Jussi said Innova was allowing one more event into the Tour next year and it wouldn't have to be an Innova sponsored event. He pitched this to me knowing that Discraft would be the event sponsor.

The prize pools will probably not compare to the top NT events such as the Memorial, Ledgestone, etc. Because the fields will be much more limited it will be tough to see big prize pools early on. I saw the qualification list and there were only 211 players on the list who would be able to register for these events. There are other ways to get in to events, such as qualifiers, manufacturer sponsored spots, etc, but if a 970 guy wants to just sign up and the field is sitting at 35 players, he won't be able to do so even though there are spots available.

Jussi essentially told me he will be investing more in the production of the event rather than the payout of the event.

Something I would like to see addressed: Why not sink all of this money into expanding disc golf at the youth sports level? Why divert all of your efforts to a handful of professionals when there is a massive base of recreational players and even more who can be attracted at the school and youth level?

It all sounds impressive, but I can't help but think that getting more young people into the sport would make more of an impact.

Perhaps we can do both. Perhaps we can grow disc golf in multiple ways, with different people making efforts in different directions.

For Innova, they do put money and effort into youth programs.

For Jussi, this is an effort to create a spectator sport. If successful---if it generates enough spectators to bring in outside advertisers and their money---it would ultimately boost the entire pro level.

Growth in one aspect helps another. If disc golf were a bigger, better known spectator sport, it would be easier to start youth programs. If there were more youth programs, there'd be a bigger market of fans to watch pros.

I'm a skeptic. I don't think this will work. But I'll be happy to be wrong, and I salute Jussi and anyone else for putting forth an effort and actually doing something.

I applaud Jussi's vision and think this is a very positive step forward. I just hope all the stops in Europe are done in one leg for the players sake. I can't imagine more than a handful of our top pro's could afford multiple plane tickets overseas (or vice versa for the Europeans). In the future I am sure this will change as more sponsors enter the sport, but fingers crossed this is accounted for!

Growth in one aspect helps another. If disc golf were a bigger, better known spectator sport, it would be easier to start youth programs. If there were more youth programs, there'd be a bigger market of fans to watch pros.

I'm a skeptic. I don't think this will work. But I'll be happy to be wrong, and I salute Jussi and anyone else for putting forth an effort and actually doing something.

This is basically how I feel about it too and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Kudos to these guys for having a vision and actually putting in the effort to see it through.

Listening to Philo's interview on final round radio (or another round?) though, it seems that most pro's not named McBeth are struggling to keep up, so it's interesting that there's little discussion about any resources going into making life a little easier for the pro player. Maybe this is supposed to be one of the ultimate goals of the project, but in the mean time, it seems like it will be a lot to invest for some of these guys.

Last edited:
I actually think it's a good idea, whether it works or not is obviously yet to be seen.

For those naysayers that say disc golf isn't and never will be a spectator sport, I say your wrong. It may not garner the crowds of football, but many religiously watch Ball golf and I think disc golf is far more exciting to watch than the tediousness of ball golf or baseball for that matter. If there's money invested in high quality footage, it would be a game changer and help with the image of the sport, which would open the eyes of those looking to invest in youth programs and the like.

Sure, somebody is going to make money on it, so what? Since when is that a crime? I'm all for anything that gains us some respectability, helps promote the sport and helps push back the image of hippie stoners throwing plates.

I applaud Jussi's vision and think this is a very positive step forward. I just hope all the stops in Europe are done in one leg for the players sake. I can't imagine more than a handful of our top pro's could afford multiple plane tickets overseas (or vice versa for the Europeans). In the future I am sure this will change as more sponsors enter the sport, but fingers crossed this is accounted for!

All of the stops in Europe are not done in one leg - the time between the Czech Republic event and Estonia is about 3 weeks and then the time between Estonia and Sweden is about 6 weeks.

I honestly think Jussi's doing all the right things to transform the sport into a more professional thing.

In Finland his company has gotten municipalities to buy designed courses, which has exploded the number of players. With the growing number of players and other interested folks disc golf can achieve the thing you need to become a pro sport: audiences.

It's really simple: without audiences there will be no commercial interest or sponsorship money - almost no money at all. But when there's hundreds of thousands of people watching live coverage of a quality event - and finland has shown it's possible - things are completely different. This is clearly Jussi's goal, and he's right.

I have never heard of a disc golf event that attracted this many people....or close to it.

Good luck with this new tour but like was said earlier, when I read about it on their website it sounded like the cart in front of the horse.

Ball Golf is a relevant comparison since it seems to be the well from which many of Meresmaa 's Ideas are drawn. However in this case the cart is before the horse and that is the very trick he has to pull off. Money (or lack there of) is a massive issue in the small sport of Disc Golf. And its one issue that ball golf didn't have to deal with at this stage of its growth. The PGA tour started over a dispute over how to distribute funds from growing television coverage. The big money was already there.

The Dew Tour is also analogous and perhaps a better model. They were able to attract big money into sports that had not yet reached a big audience since they had a valuable demographic. 18-30 year olds.

I hope this is a trick he can pull off. Good Luck Jussi!

You make too much sense to be involved in this conversation. Arnold Palmer grew the PGA Tour and golf substantially due to television and his charisma enticed sponsors. Over the years I have witnessed many dger's that have blinders on and tunnel vision but you understand challenges and are able to correlate other sports into what dg will always face without substantial funding. If the decision makers are serious of growing the sport they would benefit in discussing the models that the Dew Tour and the World Surf League created over the past decade (if anyone can get people to attend pro longboarding events, they must be doing something right). If not, a dg decison maker should have access to discuss how the US Open of Surfing is such a huge event in Huntington and what they are doing right to have massive crowds.

Probably not at all... Have you played DG lately?

ESPN doesnt make a sport professional lol.

Not sure what your inferring here. I do play often and see lots of very civilized groups playing, but the stoner crowd is the loudest and most noticeable and when ever I talk to strangers in the park who don't play the game, I'm always amazed at their reaction when I tell them about the sport. More than once I've gotten that dumb surprised stare and them saying, oh, I thought it was a hippie/stoner/trouble makers game.

Conversion one person at a time I guess.

No, ESPN doesn't make a sport "professional".

Last edited:
Disc golf is just fun for most people i see. Even "competitive" players are not even good athletes. Very small % to focus on IMO.

I have never heard of a disc golf event that attracted this many people....or close to it.

EO2015_Media_exposure_numbers_PART_4_730px.jpg

259000 live viewers last summer.

http://www.opendiscgolf.com/2015/07/24/eo2015-makes-waves-in-media/

I really don't get why disc golf couldn't be a spectator sport. Ball golf is, why not disc golf?

This thread poll shows even here nearly 70% of 140 active posters are not interested in tournaments.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118370

I think some similar ones have been done re:watching events. Would be curious to see new results. Peeps just like to throw their discs and get outside.

I think good coverage could change that a bit in time. I used to be an avid ball golfer, played consistently and entered tournaments. Gave it all up ten years ago, but I still like to watch golf on tv. Most ball golfers are the same, just looking to get outside with their friends and hit some balls.

Either way, I don't think the World Tour will hurt anything and I look forward to some good footage.

For those naysayers that say disc golf isn't and never will be a spectator sport, I say your wrong. It may not garner the crowds of football, but many religiously watch Ball golf and I think disc golf is far more exciting to watch than the tediousness of ball golf or baseball for that matter. If there's money invested in high quality footage, it would be a game changer and help with the image of the sport, which would open the eyes of those looking to invest in youth programs and the like.

I'm one of those naysayers, though not arrogant enough to dismiss the notion that I might be wrong.

The reasons are personal tastes, track record, and certain differences in the sports.

Personal tastes---for myself, golf is much more entertaining to watch than disc golf. And I've been in galleries at big disc golf events. And I'm not a golfer. Baseball is vastly more entertaining than either. That's my bias, just as everyone has one.

Track record---I've been watching for 20 years as disc golf tries to generate galleries of paying spectators, with very minimal success. And I've even been one of the paying spectators. Maybe there's a way to make it work that hasn't been tried---maybe Jussi can do it---but so far, the track record is not good.

Nature of the game---wooded courses, not lending themselves to spectators or blimp shots. And putts, no matter how long or twisting through trees, don't have the visual drama of watching amazing golf putts curving perfectly on the slope of a green.

That's why I'm a naysayer. Yeah, perhaps Jussi or someone will prove me wrong, than lots of other people will watch. I'll applaud. Until it happens, I remain a skeptic.

EO2015_Media_exposure_numbers_PART_4_730px.jpg

259000 live viewers last summer.

http://www.opendiscgolf.com/2015/07/24/eo2015-makes-waves-in-media/

I really don't get why disc golf couldn't be a spectator sport. Ball golf is, why not disc golf?

Thanks, I didn't know this happened. But I still say this will not be sustainable. If a major sponsor is willing to put money into a disc golf event they would need to see this a lot more often vs just once.

I'm also one of the naysayers but know I could be proven wrong in the future. But for the past 30 years disc golf has been "5 years away from breaking into the big time" and nothing here is giving me any more confidence that's going to happen anytime soon. :)

Something I would like to see addressed: Why not sink all of this money into expanding disc golf at the youth sports level? Why divert all of your efforts to a handful of professionals when there is a massive base of recreational players and even more who can be attracted at the school and youth level?

It all sounds impressive, but I can't help but think that getting more young people into the sport would make more of an impact.

There's plenty of organic grass-level roots growth. Probably more than is needed, if the number of sub-par 9-hole beginner courses is any indication.

What DG needs (for those that want to see it gain more "legitimacy"*) is a Pro Tour that makes playing at the top level something worth putting the time and work into, with increased/improved coverage, and improved payouts.

I'm certainly interested to see how this shakes out, in both the long and short term.

*I'm not necessarily one of those people, for the record.

Playing the same course three days in a row. I think it is fine sometimes, but I don't think it necessarily makes for better disc golf like Jussi thinks it does. I understand and salute an effort to focus on a single more quality course, but if you have multiple great courses in an area I think it is foolish to not use all of them. Jussi wants to attract more spectators. I would rather watch disc golf on multiple courses.

I'm all for taking ideas from golf but only if they fit into disc golf. I think it is great that Jussi is trying to grow the sport, but the answer isn't always to try and be more like ball golf. I think we risk losing things about disc golf that are fun and unique to disc golf.

Latest posts