• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

What's "backend" exactly? (For those of us not in the biz)

DGPlanet (or Terra Firma media, their company) is the film production crew for DGWT events. I imagine that means their equipment, broadcast infrastructure, etc. The on-air talent was different, but the backend of the production is the same as the other DGP broadcasts.

Correct. Everything was exactly the same as what they have used for 5 years except this time they had Jamie and Avery. And both of them did a knockout job.

But it is a little naive to say, "this is their first broadcast".

knockout job.... meh. they did comment constantly, i'll give them credit for that. but shouldn't they just shut up for a minute to let the players tee and putt. I feel like they try so hard to avoid any dead air that there's a lot of repetition and say simple statements very longwindedly. Decent job guys, just chill out a little bit.
My dream: Ian and Alex get flown in to do live commentary on all future DGWT events.

knockout job.... meh. they did comment constantly, i'll give them credit for that. but shouldn't they just shut up for a minute to let the players tee and putt. I feel like they try so hard to avoid any dead air that there's a lot of repetition and say simple statements very longwindedly. Decent job guys, just chill out a little bit.
My dream: Ian and Alex get flown in to do live commentary on all future DGWT events.

Everyone makes the mistake of talking too much during their first broadcasts.

Couldn't agree more. It was like they were thinking, "why say in 10 words what I can say in a 100?"

Also, you might want to set the stage for what we're about to see, once in a while, instead of blathering over most of the action.

Jamie seemed decent. I'm sure he had tons on his plate, so making it through the broadcast without dropping too many "ums" or "uhhhhs" can be considered a success, I guess.

Avery is interesting. He sounds less like the experienced, relaxed ex-jock who moved into the broadcast booth after an illustrious playing career that he is (like Collinsworth, Fouts, Barkley, etc.) and more like an off-the-shelf motivational speaker who was hired to coach up a bunch of schlubbly sales executives who are at a national medical supplies conference in Wichita or Tampa. I hear him talk and I think of Tony Little, minus the ponytail. Avery's definitely qualified to do color for a disc golf broadcast, I just wish he would strip away a lot of his self-conscious presentational veneer so we could hear his pointed commentary, which he is totally qualified to provide, clearly and unvarnished.

I guess you can't really blame them, though. After all, it WAS raining.

eh

I was not thrilled about the coverage today. Yes it was really crappy weather but Avery doesn't make a great mic guy. Two guys sharing one mic is pointless. Plus if you are calling an event it helps to be in position to see whats going on. For instance hole #16 when both Owens and Melton forehanded their drives straight into the ground Jamie said wow he must have hit an early tree. What's the point in announcing if you have no idea what just happened? I can't wait until the sport grows to the point of getting real coverage. Like shouldn't they have a main booth somewhere with monitors and calling what they see off that along with a field reporter for each card? Instead we get two dudes huddled under an umbrella sharing one mic standing on the other side of a hill.

That being said I will be tuning back in tomorrow.

Like shouldn't they have a main booth somewhere with monitors and calling what they see off that along with a field reporter for each card?

I have to admit I was thinking they could just be watching the stream from an office somewhere and probably have better quality commentary and like you said, occasionally switch to a field reporter for interviews, etc. :confused:

Disagree that bigger spread is better. Could just mean stupid.

How is (non-)randomness derived? i.e. what does it mean?

You are correct, wider scoring spread on a single hole is not always better. A really wide scoring spread could indicate a hole is randomly handing out high scores.

(On the other hand, a too-narrow scoring spread always means the hole isn't doing its job.)

One way of checking whether a wide scoring spread indicates stupidity is to see whether the scores are correlated with ratings. Another is to see if the scores are being handed out randomly.

If a hole is handing out random scores, the result is that the total scores across all players (for the round or tournament) get clumped up. If no distinction is made between better and worse players, there are more tie scores. More ties means there is less information about the ranking of players.

Non-randomness measures the hole's impact on the amount of information contained in the total scores of all players. The less randomly a hole allocates scores, the more information is found on the total scores.

The specific measure on the chart is the inverse of how frequently a random allocation of a hole's scores would generate fewer ties than the actual allocation of the hole's scores.

I have to admit I was thinking they could just be watching the stream from an office somewhere and probably have better quality commentary and like you said, occasionally switch to a field reporter for interviews, etc. :confused:

With the talk of how this was going to be a broadcast the likes of which the sport had yet to see, I hoped for this, too.

Needed a better selection of ads and at least not as many repetitions.
The metrics graphics were not really readable.
The switching from different cameras, ads, radar, and pre hole looks could have been better.
These I mostly agree with. The repetition of those two short DGWT ad spots was actually annoying, would've preferred to watch some pre-recorded scenery footage after just playing them once.

Using the cut-and-paste Metrix graphic doesn't really work as on-broadcast player representation in current form and needs some work. I'd like to see it displayed across the bottom of the screen so player name, position and scores can be more pronounced, that's what really matters in the end. Can't really expect this to happen in 24 hours though.

The rain radar was useful insight but only for some, because La Mirada wasn't highlighted for position on the map ;) I really liked the drone footage for holes though, apart from showing the wrong hole once.

But overall I enjoyed watching it, commentary was solid. The recap videos are currently their best work as expected, they've more experience with that.

Can't really expect this to happen in 24 hours though.

Nail on the head here. I don't expect any big changes in the broadcast today, but I think we should see some real improvements in the remaining DGWT events. They might not be as ground shaking as promised originally, but seeing improvement is at least a sign they are working towards they're promise of the best live disc golf coverage. Jamie mentioned multiple times (as he did with almost everything) that they would love feedback on their broadcast, but I'm not sure how to provide feedback. Anyone help with that?

Iirc, the day 1 preview had a comment about "welcome to the city where it never rains". Lol

I can't say I'm surprised to see the top guys hitting well over 90% inside the circle putts. They are just amazingly consistent at that level.

I still consider this ground breaking all things considered. The quality of the live stream was better quality than anything else we have seen (bar the footage that was live on finish television), they have live stats - which is a nice change from just a live scorecard and the polished recap videos after each round have been great. Couple all that with two awesome crews in CCDG and jonas out there doing full round coverage, best production we have seen so far. Only way to improve it further would be a lot more camera out on the course for the love stream, much like ball golf, but that will come down the line I'm sure.

The bitrate of the stream was still to low. Camera cuts were random, video/commercial getting cued too early or too late and its very apparent that there is little to no communication between the talent and the production staff in the truck during the broadcast (IFB... how does it work?)

Very confusing why they didn't have JT and Avery inside somewhere watching the action on monitors and commenting from the 'booth.' I guess they like huddling around an umbrella and a single microphone where they can't see all the action?

Also. COMPRESSOR/LIMITER on a microphone. Jesus its a $150 piece of hardware that not a single group in disc golf broadcasting has invested in. Hell DGP.tv's Tricaster has it built into the software. USE IT PLEASE.

I feel like everything they do that gets a pass through post-production is looking very good but the actual live broadcast still isn't anywhere near what Jussi had at the Europe Open (or whatever major that was).

All things aside they definitely battled through that weather so kudos to everybody on site for dealing with adverse conditions.

Last edited:
Any talk about the Lizotte commercial yet? Is Discmania really annoucing that McBeth will fail this year while Lizotte enjoyes it or is there something I don't get?

Any talk about the Lizotte commercial yet? Is Discmania really annoucing that McBeth will fail this year while Lizotte enjoyes it or is there something I don't get?

I think it is just more of this "in the spirit of rivalry building" to draw interest, similar to the controversial newspaper article where McBeth called out Ricky and Will.

What time does the live feed start?

The bitrate of the stream was still to low. Camera cuts were random, video/commercial getting cued too early or too late and its very apparent that there is little to no communication between the talent and the production staff in the truck during the broadcast (IFB... how does it work?)

Very confusing why they didn't have JT and Avery inside somewhere watching the action on monitors and commenting from the 'booth.' I guess they like huddling around an umbrella and a single microphone where they can't see all the action?

Also. COMPRESSOR/LIMITER on a microphone. Jesus its a $150 piece of hardware that not a single group in disc golf broadcasting has invested in. Hell DGP.tv's Tricaster has it built into the software. USE IT PLEASE.

I feel like everything they do that gets a pass through post-production is looking very good but the actual live broadcast still isn't anywhere near what Jussi had at the Europe Open (or whatever major that was).

All things aside they definitely battled through that weather so kudos to everybody on site for dealing with adverse conditions.

^ Good critiques here...

But I don't think they could be in a booth and call the action if they're seeing the same feed I am; still can't see the disc for most or all of its flight.

The Day 1 recap was far better than Day 2, especially considering Day 2 repeats Day 1 for whatever reason. Jamie's commentary did not keep pace with the editing on Day 2.

Side note: nearly all Day 1 recap footage (except Simon) was CCDG footage. CCDG is there as volunteers, not being paid or reimbursed (other than their own sponsors and patreon). If CCDG weren't there, would the recaps still be in those boring ass sit around and talk about action we don't show you style?? Because those were terrible.

Latest posts