• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc options for a new female player

It'll be much easier for her to throw a Star Kite well, than a Diamond. If you wanna go Lat, get her a light Fuse. You're on the right track in getting her something slower at first. Even the Dart is a good idea.

I think the Lat beginner discs are a good suggestion.

I've never thrown the two discs you mentioned, so I can't comment there. I hate to just throw out my own suggestion, but: I work with kids, and I've seen them have a lot of success with a 160 DX Cheetah. The 8 year old I teach just loves the thing, and he can get a solid, S-curvy flight out of it. So a light Cheetah would be my suggestion: it's cheap and easily available, although it doesn't have the durability you want. Light Vibrams are easy to find, too, so maybe an Ibex?

I do think the Lat suggestions are super solid, though, especially if you don't mind spending a bit more.

hate to say it, get her a x buzz. my GF throws a buzz just as far as her diamond. ruby and pearl get really finicky and was what she hated about them.

I gave my girlfriend a light (160) pro d stratus. It has a slim profile and a small diameter. Easier to grip for a person with small hands. She can throw it much farther with greater ease than the 129g leopard I also purchased for her.

I'd suggest a star stingray if you are unwilling to go with base plastic. It's a real challenge to get a premium plastic disc that is understable enough for us when starting out without going really light weight, but those light weight discs are a lot harder to control. So I'd go star stingray and not go too light. It should be pretty good even at 165-170.

I'd suggest a star stingray if you are unwilling to go with base plastic. It's a real challenge to get a premium plastic disc that is understable enough for us when starting out without going really light weight, but those light weight discs are a lot harder to control. So I'd go star stingray and not go too light. It should be pretty good even at 165-170.

I think I should add that you shouldn't expect that star stingray to actually turn over for her unless there is headwind. The only disc in heavy weights I've ever thrown that actually turns over for me right out of the box is a DX Stingray (or a sonic, but that doesn't go far at all).

I found that the premium plastic makes a huge difference in the stability of the slower discs, and I gave up a long time ago on trying to find a premium plastic turnover disc. The GL Fuse, for example, doesn't turn over for me. I had to go to the test plastic fuse and get a little lighter weight one for a turnover mid.

Lightweight Leopard is a great disc and is easily available.

Also agree with recommendation for a Kite. They are very beginner friendly and once she has more skills, she will have a great turnover disc.

Get an Optimizer and a Maximizer from GGGT.
They are easy to flip, VERY understable and will allow even a slow arm to throw straight out of the box.
Too many players start out with discs that are understable for most, but still demand too much power to use.
Starting out with the Optimizer and Maximizer will teach a new player to throw straight, while still allowing them to turn it over without rolling the wrist. These things will not hyzer out on a new player when thrown straight.

After those start turning too hard, go to a light X-Comet or Stratus.
Don't even think about a driver until they can throw these over 250'

My wife has been playing with me for about two years. She still uses her first Skeeter. She's also had success with an X Comet. Latest purchase was a Lat Ruby and she loves it. She uses it as more of a midrange than a putter and has been blown away by the glide. She's had less success with the Diamond.

The skeeter you have probably fits her hand well. The fuse, stratus, and stingray are all understable and will help her get a good throw off. The dart you mentioned would be a nice choice too.

my wife uses a DX Scorpion. She found it while we were playing once and hasn't used any disc since. Although she now has a diamond that she might try. She doesn't like being unfaithful to the disc that she says she "rescued"

My wife has been playing for 10 years or so and I have not fallen for the lastest/greatest Nordic stuff, yet. She started with a X-Xpress, Status, Comet, Breeze and a Magnet. Got her all pinks and reds. She still throws most of that. Not a big arm, but she can reach out with the Xpress and has learned to putt and manage a course to score. Plays from the front tees and threatens to outscore many in the group.

my wife uses a DX Scorpion. She found it while we were playing once and hasn't used any disc since. Although she now has a diamond that she might try. She doesn't like being unfaithful to the disc that she says she "rescued"

Man the rescue stuff is funny. No doubt that sound just like my wife.

I know some people have said it, but something in DX under 150 grams is easy to get and cheap to try. From my experience, I recommend getting her a 150 Class Z Storm. They are OOP but often come up in the MP for around $11. Back when my fiance was my girlfriend I got her two of these, and she loves them. They are easy for her to hold/grip and have lots of glide potential. I also ordered her a 135 gram StarLite Valk yesterday, time will tell on that one.

My wife really likes her Pro Orc. When she picked it out I thought it would be too high-speed for her, but she quickly proved me wrong. She has long arms, so that helps. SHe also has a really light Blizzard Krait that she drives with very well.

Her mid-range is a Stingray and a Skeeter. She loves them both. She also has a 150 class Gazelle that she uses for longer mid-range shots but very rarely for driving.

Her putters are a Pro Birdie and a Strawberry Mercy. Her best friend only uses two discs when they go play: Ace Race Zombee and an EZE Mercy. They always have a good time when they play, even if they aren't competitive. It's a huge advantage having a wife who plays, so I say as long as she is having fun let her throw anything she wants. My wife isn't too into disc shopping, but everytime we go into PIAS or other shops, she always leaves with something new to try. She doesn't listen to my advice on discs though, LOL, she jsut grabs whatever feels good in her hands.

I know you said under 5 speed, but seriously, it gets frustrating not throwing it far when you start. A nice blizzard disc nice and light would be great to get the feel of distance. That combined with putter and a buzz/light dx roc would be great.

I gave a co-workers daughter a 137g blizzard katana(or maybe krait...), and she loved it. She's an adult, and said it just flew great for her, and really increased her distance and fun on the course.

If she doesn't throw hard I'd say a wedge. Very understable and glidey. One of my boys throws one farther than any disc in his bag