• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc options for a new female player

Personally, the Stratus X by Discraft would be an ideal candidate. Understable (-1.0) and an easy to control fairway driver. Flies longer than the mids and still much easier to control than a distance driver.

The beginner friendly discs from Lat 64 are nice as well, especially the Diamond. Very lightweight and easy to throw, smaller rim size is great for smaller hands.

Those two would be my suggestions to add some distance while still maintaining control. As for mids, almost any would be fine I would just avoid max weights and hit something in the 160-170 range.

Good luck!

I ran across some DX Skeeters in the mid 130's and gave one to a friend. She uses it along with a Stingray, Shark, and Aviar that are 150. She can throw a blizzard Katana well, but prefered to stick with what she's got. I keep a couple of the Skeeters around for loaners.

My wife has big hands. She has found that she prefers discs that have deeper rims and are in the 160's...Rubber Putter, Ion. She has used Pro D Buzzzes in both 145-150 and 160's.

I would also recommend a 150 Cobra and Leopard.

I think the stratus and squall are good ideas.
To answer your op about the squall, i suggest their proline plastic over their sparkle plastic (sp). The proline is pretty much discraft esp.
What i like about th squall is that its easy to grip, forgiving of nose angle, and still has a lil fade.

Beaten up hand me downs would be the best choice for a beginning player. Or you could buy her a nice pearly white 10th anny Buzzz for $100.00? Your choice! :D

We picked her up a 150ish Pearl and Diamond. She must've increased her throws by 50 feet and her accuracy my a mile. It's a night and day difference.

Thanks for the advice.

We picked her up a 150ish Pearl and Diamond. She must've increased her throws by 50 feet and her accuracy my a mile. It's a night and day difference.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad you decided to pick those beauties up. Get her to throw that Pearl for any midrange shots and any par 2 tees. The pearl is so good for form, she'll learn so much with repeated use of that disc.

Diamond, Diamond, Diamond. Great, easy throwing disc.

Light Leopard or any slow neutral FW driver would be great. DGA also makes a Flathead Cyclone in the 150 class which would be a good beginner or female disc.

Or just lighten up the mids and drivers and let her try them. Heck, there are probably plenty of women that could throw as far as most of us. It is as much form as strength and size.

My apologies to everyone who loves the diamond, but hella no. It does one thing in calm wind, another in slight wind, and a whole other thing in mediocre wind. Forget moderate wind. Redact significant wind. Event horizon strong wind.

It's no 150 teebird.

150 Teebird is way too much disc for a beginning player with little to no skill.

I will respectfully disagree with that. I don't think a Teebird is "too much disc" for anyone, especially if someone is helping teach them how to throw. Especially a nice 150 DX Teebird. Its not like its a Boss or Nuke OS.

We played a difficult course today ( East Met in Austin, I think there is a PDGA tournament there tomorrow ), and on a few occasions, mostly thanks to trees, she managed to out drive me.

If only I got used to my new Lace as fast as she got used to those discs. I think she probably throws the Pearl the best. It's got a great RHBH s curve for her right now with much more distance, the Skeeter and others were all pulling straight left every time.

I will respectfully disagree with that. I don't think a Teebird is "too much disc" for anyone, especially if someone is helping teach them how to throw. Especially a nice 150 DX Teebird. Its not like its a Boss or Nuke OS.

Again, for someone just starting out, I think it's too much disc. Maybe a month or two into it, sure, but when you're starting out you still have no idea about what spin is and how to apply power to the throw. The Teebird, even at 150g, is still a very stable disc. It will do nothing but fade out early for a beginner. Most new players struggle to throw past 150 feet, so they need a disc that will go straight for them as long as possible with their power (or lack of) just to be able to reach holes in 2 or 3 throws. The Teebird will not go straight at 100-150 feet of power.

Again, for someone just starting out, I think it's too much disc. Maybe a month or two into it, sure, but when you're starting out you still have no idea about what spin is and how to apply power to the throw. The Teebird, even at 150g, is still a very stable disc. It will do nothing but fade out early for a beginner. Most new players struggle to throw past 150 feet, so they need a disc that will go straight for them as long as possible with their power (or lack of) just to be able to reach holes in 2 or 3 throws. The Teebird will not go straight at 100-150 feet of power.

I agree. Ashleigh has decent distance, she can throw teebirds 275' consistently and 300' fairly regularly and still for her they're the disc she reaches for when she wants reliable fade or a headwind fighter, and that's at 150g.

Wind rules still apply
diamond is great, but understable
this where a 150 teebird would be a good partner with the diamond.

My wife has a 150g DX Roc that she uses the most. It's still in good shape (8/10) and is pretty forgiving for her. And it's easy to replace. She putts with a Soft Anode and prefers the soft plastic over their medium counterparts.

I also picked up a StarLite Roadrunner for her when it first came out, she can throw it just as far as the Roc, but just as with any developing player control and accuracy are in need of work.