• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc options for a new female player

150 class flying squirrel, durable as all begeesus too. nice grippy CE like plastic

I don't think 150s are good for beginners of any sex as they require more skill and better form/mechanics to get to work. I'd start with some very understable discs around 170 for drivers and a little heavier for mids/putters.

I don't think 150s are good for beginners of any sex as they require more skill and better form/mechanics to get to work. I'd start with some very understable discs around 170 for drivers and a little heavier for mids/putters.

That's an interesting point, never really thought of it that way. They work really well for my daughter, but when my wife moved up to the 160s for drivers and 170s for mids and putters she started doing better. I guess I never really put much thought into it.

150 class for younger begginers I'd say is a lot better than older begginers, because older players have the physical strength to put torque on the disc if they don't know what they're doing yet. I would posit that younger players do not, hence why it works better for them.

my wife, when starting out, did much better with lighter discs
she is now moving up in weight, as she should
but when just starting anything, you need to have what feels like, some success
or you will get discouraged and quit

proline squall feels awesome, she and anyone else would love it. flies awesome too.

my wife, when starting out, did much better with lighter discs
she is now moving up in weight, as she should
but when just starting anything, you need to have what feels like, some success
or you will get discouraged and quit

I agree with everything you are saying, just not that light discs are better for this. I think the mid to high 160s are fine, but lighter discs are not the best for several reasons...They are harder to get to fly straight, are more OAT sensitive, more nose angle sensitive, and all of these things are magnified if there is a little wind. Also, up until very recently the lightest versions of any mold rarely flew like their heavier counterparts at all.

I've taught disc golf to groups of teens, and most of them do the best with heavier (not max) and very understable discs. Even with OAT most inexperienced players can learn to throw a worn 175 dx Stingray on a fairly straight line drive type shot, even if it's not going very far.

There are many ways to learn the game, but from a teaching standpoint this is what I found in my experience.

My girlfriend has started going out to play about two times a week with me, and we've wanted to find her some of her own discs that aren't totally beaten up hand me downs.

So far she seems to have had the best luck with an old cheap plastic Skeeter, but it apparently still doesn't feel great and is rather heavy.

I've been looking on various sites to try and find something in the 165 and below category and there it seems to be somewhat hard to find. I was hoping to find something 5 or under in speed, and understable.

I think we've narrowed it down to a Dart Echo Star 165 (I haven't found the Dart in regular Star plastic) or a Proline Squall 166.

Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences between these two options? I don't really know anything about the DGA plastic, but something with the durability of a Star or even a Vibram would be awesome.
I think a 160g opto diamond would be perfect. 7/6/-2/1 i think