• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc options for a new female player

My girlfriend has started going out to play about two times a week with me, and we've wanted to find her some of her own discs that aren't totally beaten up hand me downs.

So far she seems to have had the best luck with an old cheap plastic Skeeter, but it apparently still doesn't feel great and is rather heavy.

I've been looking on various sites to try and find something in the 165 and below category and there it seems to be somewhat hard to find. I was hoping to find something 5 or under in speed, and understable.

I think we've narrowed it down to a Dart Echo Star 165 (I haven't found the Dart in regular Star plastic) or a Proline Squall 166.

Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences between these two options? I don't really know anything about the DGA plastic, but something with the durability of a Star or even a Vibram would be awesome.

can't go wrong with leopards, comets and magics. good discs for pros all the way to beginners!

Get a 160g Star Kite. That disc is insanely easy to throw. It floats like a dream, and should be a great disc for her.

Diamond. Every woman loves diamonds. Any they come in pretty colors!

He wanted 5 speed and under. A Diamond would be a great driver though.

I would just go with a 160 DX Leo for a fairway.

Try the Latitude 64 Diamond (slow driver), Pearl (mid-range), and Ruby (putter). Those are all light weight discs that should be easy to throw. My wife likes the Lat Diamond. Plus, the Latitude plastic looks cool, which is why my wife likes throwing it.

He wanted 5 speed and under. A Diamond would be a great driver though.

I would just go with a 160 DX Leo for a fairway.

Oh.... Pearl? Ruby? Lat 64 lightweight discs are awesome. They feel amazing just too light for me.

a nice light comet would be perfect, same with a 150 class leopard. any non-beaded putter would do as well, something neutral or slightly understable. i'd say take her to a shop and let her pick out her own putter.

Get this woman a light weight GL RIVER Fairway Driver -- Tons of glide, low power required.
Then a MVP Tangent Midrange

Try the Latitude 64 Diamond (slow driver), Pearl (mid-range), and Ruby (putter). Those are all light weight discs that should be easy to throw. My wife likes the Lat Diamond. Plus, the Latitude plastic looks cool, which is why my wife likes throwing it.

This.

THIS.

100, 1000, 1000000 times This.

Every woman (that doesn't have gargantuan hands) and every child that hasn't reached maturity yet, who wants to start Disc Golfing, should be given a Diamond, Pearl and Ruby to start off with.

Try their max weights too, to speed up the transition to normal discs (160g)

The Latitude stuff looks great. It wasn't on the chart I was using so I didn't consider it.

I agree on letting her choose the putter based on feel. She seems to like my Summit somewhat but HATES the old Aviar.

I agree with the comet being one to try out. A lot of people preach about X comets helping develop form. Another thing to think about would be an XD, very easy to throw. Maybe a starlite roadrunner (I know it's faster than what your looking for), there are some girls round here that throw them a lot and like them.

I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious here, but get her one of the Innova starter kits. The discs are all light, it's cheap, and it gives her some options.

edit - I think its a Leopard, Shark, and Aviar.

We actually have one of the Roadrunners, and it's light (163 I think)... we literally found it laying 10 feet from a hole today with no number on it.... brand new. I thought it might be too fast though and by the time we did find it there were only two holes left.

We actually have one of the Roadrunners, and it's light (163 I think)... we literally found it laying 10 feet from a hole today with no number on it.... brand new. I thought it might be too fast though and by the time we did find it there were only two holes left.

She should probably only use a Roadrunner as a roller until she can master a Lat64 Diamond, Innova Leopard, or Discraft Eclipse.

I say Diamond and Pearl as well. Nice discs and in premium so they don't break in fast. I bought a full set and lend them out a lot of times, although I still throw the Diamond quite a bit myself still.

Not sure I would recommend the Ruby though, you should really putt with a putter in base plastic (or vibram) imho.