• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

How are some of you guys using pds as a distance driver? I have a cline pd and it's a total meathook. For reference I have 340ish ft of power.
C-line PDs have the most variation of any of the other runs of plastic. Depending on which run you have, you could have borderline Firebird stability all the way to P-PD'ish flight. C-lines are really all over the place and most of them lack the glide of their S-/G-/P-line counterparts.

Asking on here since we have a conversation going...but how do you tell which Brinster Teebirds are from the third run?

I'm considering picking one up to throw alongside my FD's for a few weeks and see how I do without a PD. And would a E* or Star Teebird fit in between?

1st run:

innova_champion_brinster_teebird_green.jpg

2nd run:

sb-tb_blue.jpg

same stamp but with USDGC circle stamp

3rd run (current run):

xd6oeq9l.jpg

the 1st and 2nd run brinsters are very OS (mini firebird like), while the 3rd runs are still very beefy but a tick less OS compared to 1st/2nd runs.

today I played two very different courses in Nashville, Seven Oaks (which is wooded/tight/technical) and Shelby (open, hilly, windy). Naturally I used the 5th run C FD at the wooded course on hyzerflips and turnovers, and the open windy course I used the 2nd run C-FD on nice hyzer lines with total confidence.

How are some of you guys using pds as a distance driver? I have a cline pd and it's a total meathook. For reference I have 340ish ft of power.

P-line, homie. They go quite far. You may not benefit at that distance, but...for those who throw them as a mainstay, you never bag just one pd. I bet you could get a ppd that's beaten up and hyzerflip it for sure.

Last edited:
P-line, homie. They go quite far. You may not benefit at that distance, but...for those who throw them as a mainstay, you never bag just one pd. I bet you could get a ppd that's beaten up and hyzerflip it for sure.

PPD's are nice because even when beaten in/seasoned they'll still have some hook up so you can hyzerflips and S-curve distance lines to get that extra D.

its like the 5th run C-FD's for me. Since they're stable to flippy but have great glide I can often get C-FD's to go just as far as my distance drivers.

The 5th run C-line deserves a shot. Try one out, and I think you'll see that it doesn't excels in different areas than a Thunderbird. Definitely less HSS, less LSS, and will work on different lines. To me there just isn't much overlap unless you are talking 2nd run FD.

Good to know. I'm going to try them out. Thanks!

Has anyone thrown a CD2 to fill the gap between the FD and PD? Less stable than a PD, more that a FD. Sounds like a good road to be in between. Might help with eliminate some overlap. I haven't tried one...yet.

the 1st and 2nd run brinsters are very OS (mini firebird like), while the 3rd runs are still very beefy but a tick less OS compared to 1st/2nd runs.

Thanks Doc!

If I didn't have those, I'm sure I'd probably go with the PD over the Teebirds just for the bit of added controlled distance. Funny thing is the Teebird is a speed 7 with a 1.7 rim, the FD also a speed 7 but with a 1.8 rim, and the PD a speed 10 with a 1.9 rim. Go figure. :\

Didn't realize the rim widths...huh...and while that matters for feel, I think what matters more for me is the cruising speed. For a fairway driver, I want something that can be powered down easier than an S or C PD.

But yeah, I'll probably never drop C PDs - too good in the wind.

I've really improved my game with FD's and can see how it would further benefit to have a bag built around them.

I was getting my G-lines out to almost 330' today. Maybe a 25°-30° anhyzer. Little to no wind. Maybe it is your specific PD. I'm not well versed on the lore of the PD.

The way I see it, as long as you're not throwing a disc with a nose shaped like a brick, the two main factors for distance (teebird being a notable exception) are stability and rim width.

I pretty much plan my bag around rim width now and I ignore the speed ratings themselves.

Keeping this in mind, it's not hard to imagine why a pd and fd are capable of similar distances and why the pd and tb overlapped too much In my bag.

I'd say you aren't going wrong either way. The fd seems like a good compromise between faster fairway and slower control driver, but it won't have quite the raw d of the pd IMO. Keep on throwing those fd. :)

Has anyone thrown a CD2 to fill the gap between the FD and PD? Less stable than a PD, more that a FD. Sounds like a good road to be in between. Might help with eliminate some overlap. I haven't tried one...yet.

I have a c cd2 and a s cd2 in between my fd's and thunderbirds. Try one! They have alot of glide and are easy to throw. I'm trying to season the ones I have as they are both pretty new. Expect a stable to slightly understable flight depending on your power.

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before, but its going to be a pain to gid through 180+ pages of posts haha. How does this compare to the Discraft Stalker?

FD: 7/6/-1/1
Stalker: 8/4/-1/1

I'm more worried about the -1/1 aspect. FD sounds like it'll go a bit farther with more control, but is it like the stalker where its a pretty true -1/1 even on a distance drive (under 340 or so)

Played Yucaipa today and tore it up with my FD's, as much as I love my PD's I really only threw them for one drive. Between my third run, second run and G line they probably accounted for 60% of shots from the tee. These just go so stupid far I love them :D

I think the C-line I have is the current run ... so 5th?

I like it a LOT ... rather neutral flight, nice natural dome, feels good in the hand ... straight with fade to 350' ... touch of anny and out to 380' with a flat finish

combo of FD and some PD's are gonna be kicking out my 11x Eagles finally (I love'em, just don't wanna be throwing expensive plastic anymore)

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before, but its going to be a pain to gid through 180+ pages of posts haha. How does this compare to the Discraft Stalker?

FD: 7/6/-1/1
Stalker: 8/4/-1/1

I'm more worried about the -1/1 aspect. FD sounds like it'll go a bit farther with more control, but is it like the stalker where its a pretty true -1/1 even on a distance drive (under 340 or so)

I don't know where you got the 8 for speed on a Stalker. I would put them closer to a 6 or 7. They are very similar to the Gazelle. The FD definitely has more glide and seems faster. I can put an FD out much farther than a Stalker. The lines are similar though but the added glide of the FD will get you there on lower ceiling shots much easier.

Played Yucaipa today and tore it up with my FD's, as much as I love my PD's I really only threw them for one drive. Between my third run, second run and G line they probably accounted for 60% of shots from the tee. These just go so stupid far I love them :D

I want to kick out my PDs but it depends on the day if I'm feeling it and can throw far, then all of the sudden the PD feels redundant and is barely used.

But when I'm not feeling it, then the FD starts to overlap with my rocs and the PD's are back in business (because I can start torquing on my PD's).

But damn when I'm feeling it, the FD takes over my PD shots and then starts creeping into my speed 12 tern and destroyer shots on those long fairways.

I want to kick out my PDs but it depends on the day if I'm feeling it and can throw far, then all of the sudden the PD feels redundant and is barely used.

But when I'm not feeling it, then the FD starts to overlap with my rocs and the PD's are back in business (because I can start torquing on my PD's).

But damn when I'm feeling it, the FD takes over my PD shots and then starts creeping into my speed 12 tern and destroyer shots on those long fairways.

And this is a big reason why we carry different discs... some days we feel it, some days we don't. Some days we act like we ate our Wheaties, some days like we didn't. And that's all part of the right disc for the right situation....

I am pretty much in the exact same boat, except the PD is the widest rim in my bag. I've decided to keep it in there instead of looking for something else because, like you say, if I'm not feeling it with the FDs on a particular day I can still get a similar distance out of a PD [as to when I'm really clicking w/ the FD], but with less precision. I mostly throw PDs in the field, but I do bring one to the course. IMO PDs are really very fun to throw, but if I can get an FD out there it just feels so much more satisfying.

a big part of my game lately has been dedicated to judging my own power level at the time and discing up/down accordingly. The FD/PD are interchangeable for quite a few throws in my regular play, power level depending. They really are a great pairing, although I'll reach for the 2nd run FD before my G-PD in 90% of situations(I do like the PD for the wind).

The most recent run of Swirly FD's is $$$. Not quite the dome that the first run of Swirly S had, much flatter.

I think it's safe to compare it to a 2nd run dayglo CE Leopard...

A few questions here. There is a nice list out there of the stability of the PD runs, has anyone collected that data on the FD runs outside of just saying the second run is the most stable? In a sort of related question, can anyone compare a glow c-line FD with a second run FD?

Latest posts