• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

finally got a scale and weighed mine. its 175 :/ i dont know what else it could be other than just molding up with a high plh but i have no other ones to compare to. im going to try to take it to zj this weekend and i will compare his to mine since his seems to be like the rest.

Booter said:
finally got a scale and weighed mine. its 175 :/ i dont know what else it could be other than just molding up with a high plh but i have no other ones to compare to. im going to try to take it to zj this weekend and i will compare his to mine since his seems to be like the rest.

Watch his be more overstable than yours. :lol:

bring an umbrella for the driving range. looks like it will be some muddy testing this weekend

Booters does have a notch more stability. The plastic on the dome of his is softer as well. Mine is stiff and doesn't have as much give as is

zj1002 said:
Booters does have a notch more stability. The plastic on the dome of his is softer as well. Mine is stiff and doesn't have as much give as is

Did he manage to talk you into a trade?

I've been throwing my FTD a lot, and today I threw it a lot again. It has now had quite a few good knocks on pine trees and has broken in a bit. It is now holding out longer before fading, fading less in general, and gliding more. It also came up from a deeper hyzer into the wind today than it did when it was brand new (but didn't turn over). Evidently it is also taking less time for me to develop a connection with this disc than I thought because I was carving it up like a surgeon with it today. This disc is so glidey, straight, and slow turning that I must admit it really seems to have the characteristics I was hoping for to be able to make my bag (and be the perfect fairway for my style). At this point I would describe it as a disc with the stability, durability, and wind resistance of a premium plastic with the glide and flight line of a pro/baseline disc.

Ok so I'll do my best. I really tried to enjoy the disc and the opportunity to test it. It is a nice disc but I have no real purpose for it. This is very beginner friendly disc, one of the few discmania discs that probably wasn't intended to help fill out a pro disc golfers bag.

Plastic/Mold: My S-FD is 175 dark blue. Plastic on top is very firm. The dome is high but this is definitely by design because of the top. This isn't a poppy top molding error. The bottom of this disc is anyone's guess. It honestly isn't too far off from the AA bottom.

The top of this disc is 100% Archangel. I surprised myself that I actually guess correctly without seeing it next to the AA.
393582_305614402796966_180700905288317_1017062_237497816_n.jpg

picture taken directly from ZAM @ http://www.facebook.com/PostID

Speed: Pretty much the same speed as an Archangel so it should be about speed 8/9.

Glide: Going by the numbers on the AA the glide on this thing should be about 5 or 6(on Innova ratings). That doesn't really show up for me. I think the denser plastic(compared to DX) would probably give this disc a glide of 4 or 5(max). My throw is also very arm speed/snap dominate. I imagine for slower arm players the glide will be more noticeable. When thrown at lower power the glide is more visible, but I am not comfortable throwing drivers at 50-65% power. Most of my throws were done at 75-100% power. Most from a short x-step, not a full run-up.

Turn: It pops up quick out of the hand. I had to power it down and use nose up to make it hold the hyzer a bit more before it flipped. I would liken this disc to the way the Axis flips up and locks into its line. This disc likes to spin and people that use a lot of spin in their throws will probably find this disc very useful.

Fade: I would put this at a 0. Fade is minimal when throw at low speeds

It is essentially a premium Archangel(which isn't bad). I see this disc being very popular with most of my customers. Power players probably won't enjoy this disc, but people that need to throw a lot of hyzer flips and finesse drives will like it. The durability of mine has been poor. It went from being a neutral disc to turnover after like 2 rounds + club practice. Lost a few small chunks and taken some gashes(but this is central Texas, where we play what the touring pro's call "rock golf")

I will write more later...

Nice review. This is exactly why it was a great idea to have people with different styles test the disc. I don't think I agree on the AA comparisons for me though...This disc is slower due to the higher shoulder/nose spacer and it turns slower than the AA. I would never really consider the AA a disc that "locks" onto any line except a turnover once it's a little beat. I also think that this disc will be used by pros as well as ams and beginners...A lot of pros that still use discs like this in the woods (especially the Carolina boys), and I'd be surprised if Jussi didn't partially design this as something he wanted in his bag.

I do agree that it wants to start losing it's "new" stability rather quickly (which was the way I wanted it personally)...This may leave some waiting for the C version. I could see myself in the future keeping a seasoned SFD or two in my bag along with a CFD to hold it's stability.

Well have you ever thrown a premium AA? The only ones are the stable old mold CFR run. I am pretty sure there is not an extra nose spacer, the disc just molded up higher than a DX AA. If they produced some star or champion AA(in the current mold) the comparison might be more plausible.

as for pros using it. I think the TD and even CD would make my bag before the FD.

I like throwing discs that start out with a little more stability and adapting to them as they break in. I didn't have to chance to do that with this disc because it was pretty much broken in after a few days

zj1002 said:
Well have you ever thrown a premium AA? The only ones are the stable old mold CFR run. I am pretty sure there is not an extra nose spacer, the disc just molded up higher than a DX AA. If they produced some star or champion AA(in the current mold) the comparison might be more plausible.

I have thrown those CFR AAs...They were quite stable. There definitely is a nose spacer...Look closely at the very bottom of the nose and there is another parting line about a half a mm below the middle parting line(there's a spot on my disc where dirt is wedged in it and makes it easier to see).

I am going to try and play a round with just the FD as my only driver. It does hold a smooth anhyzer really well.

One thing I haven't really posted about regarding the FD is how well it does powered down on low ceiling shots. Hole #1 (short middle position) at Taylor Park is only between 250' and 300' (I don't remember exactly), but it is very technical with the only conventional BH line being a very low ceiling S shot. Both in warmups and during the handicap today I finessed the FD on a slight anny release and it carved the hole exactly. This is so key to my game down here because as I've mentioned again and again course design in FL often revolves around low ceilings (no elevation). The FD is the first fairway that I've been able to throw how I want on many holes with touch and accuracy...All the other fairways I've used that were also good at low ceilings really needed to be powered to hit those lines, but the FD can do it with finesse. I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD. The only discs I've seen and thrown that fly anything like the FD for me are old seasoned CE TLs and CE Leopards.

yeah it wants to be worked not powered. it does go where you put it, as long as you don't want to be throwing hyzers

discspeed said:
I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD.
I suggest you might want to retire that one before it's totally worn out. Will make it easier to find the good ones from the production runs if you have something to compare them to. That's what I did with my Quasar.

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD.
I suggest you might want to retire that one before it's totally worn out. Will make it easier to find the good ones from the production runs if you have something to compare them to. That's what I did with my Quasar.

Actually, I've got 5 more orange 175 DGR SFDs on order that should be identical to mine. :wink:

Broken rule #1: I have not been following this thread.

Broken rule #2: I'm not going back to try to read it.

So, somebody sell me. I've got till the end of the day to decide to order one or not.

I have kids who need Christmas gifts 'n stuff, so I need a really good reason to spend money on myself right now. I have a nice line-up of new to beat M JLS covering what I'm assuming will be this slot that I'm not unhappy with. Other than my basic disc-whore instinct to buy every disc I see, why should I buy these?

GO!

Latest posts