• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

Booter said:
ok so i threw the fd some more today and played 18 holes with it on a technical course. im guessing i got a freak of an fd because mine is nothing like the other 3. everybody says they power down easy,have turn and dont need to be thrown at 100% power to achieve this. mine however is pretty stable. i meed to throw it hard to make it turn a but before it fades out the last 20%. ill even go as far to say its more hss than my 2 yr old spd ive had in my bag.

compared to my ce qj thats 172 ,moderate domed and super straight,the fd is like an eagle x compared to the qj. i had a max weight later run qj that was more stable than my ce for wind duties and the sfd is identical to this one. i was able to shape lines but it needed alot of spin amd snap to hold a line long enough to go the line i wanted to hit. its not a bad thing that this one ia beefy but i really want to try zj's to see if im full o shit or do i really have a beefy sfd.

its $$$ for my sidearm though,very straight with just enough hss to handle flexing through the woods. bh seems to be another story

Have you put yours on a scale? It certainly sounds beefier than mine...I have a couple of beefy QJs, and they are quite a bit more overstable than my FD. BTW, I must reiterate how good this mold feels in the hand.

discspeed said:
JHern said:
I was more interested in this disc when it was supposed to be under-stable...There are already so many good stable fairway drivers out there. I'm drowning in stable fairway drivers. I want something that turns nice and slow and controllably, a fairway scalpel. I've been using the Champion Panther for this slot, but that is a tad slower and less HSS than I was thinking. On the under-stable side, I have a gap between the Panther and a Pro Destroyer that would be nice to fill...was hoping the FD would be the one!

The mold seems to me like it really wants to be straight to understable (like the Leo/RR/TD) and the S plastic gives up stability reasonably quick with use. I think it's going to be an insane understable fairway when it beats to that point (i may have to experiment when I have more than one).

Right, its never good to judge a disc based on its flight out-of-the-box. Smack a few dozen trees, and then see how it flies. I'm not sure how long it takes to break in their S plastic. I've been throwing an S-PD that is taking a long while to break in. Right now it is in that perfect longer Teebird state, but I also love when they become under-stable and turn over predictably and controllably without flipping hard.

Booter said:
ok so i threw the fd some more today and played 18 holes with it on a technical course. im guessing i got a freak of an fd because mine is nothing like the other 3. everybody says they power down easy,have turn and dont need to be thrown at 100% power to achieve this. mine however is pretty stable. i meed to throw it hard to make it turn a but before it fades out the last 20%. ill even go as far to say its more hss than my 2 yr old spd ive had in my bag.

compared to my ce qj thats 172 ,moderate domed and super straight,the fd is like an eagle x compared to the qj. i had a max weight later run qj that was more stable than my ce for wind duties and the sfd is identical to this one. i was able to shape lines but it needed alot of spin amd snap to hold a line long enough to go the line i wanted to hit. its not a bad thing that this one ia beefy but i really want to try zj's to see if im full o shit or do i really have a beefy sfd.

its $$$ for my sidearm though,very straight with just enough hss to handle flexing through the woods. bh seems to be another story
I actually really like the sound of that. It's good to have overstable versions of the same mold available.

CatPredator said:
people realize how useful a Leo style fairway/distance driver can be.

Took only 3 years of dg to figure that out. Now I'm kind of hoping the FD and the TL+ I just got will baptize me into this religion. As of now, it's too much of a leap from my MD2 to the next speed in my bag, a 10. (CD/PD/TD)

Only I hope my fetish with premium plastic will not completely ruin the stable/understable fairway discs for me. If I could bring myself to throwing DX, things would be much simpler.

ALSO, it could be that I should just step up my game and not wish for a Philosopher's Stone disc to magically fix my game. Up the speed/snap in my form to take out the excess stability in my bag. But I'm sure the FD is just the disc.... :eek: $$$ ;)

Booter said:
i imagined the c lines to be this way honestl

Do you have a scale? I wonder if yours is overweight. Now I wonder if mine is overweight, since I got the same color one.

maskedavenger said:
CatPredator said:
people realize how useful a Leo style fairway/distance driver can be.

Took only 3 years of dg to figure that out. Now I'm kind of hoping the FD and the TL+ I just got will baptize me into this religion. As of now, it's too much of a leap from my MD2 to the next speed in my bag, a 10. (CD/PD/TD)

Only I hope my fetish with premium plastic will not completely ruin the stable/understable fairway discs for me. If I could bring myself to throwing DX, things would be much simpler.

ALSO, it could be that I should just step up my game and not wish for a Philosopher's Stone disc to magically fix my game. Up the speed/snap in my form to take out the excess stability in my bag. But I'm sure the FD is just the disc.... :eek: $$$ ;)
I bet the fd will come out in p-line and that will be less stable. Also the innova factory store has pro tl right now which are less stable then the star usually.

my review is coming soon. I am trying to not make quick judgements on the disc. I really can't give a good review with only 2 days of throwing. Figure one of us needs to not write giant reviews on a new disc after just 1 day

well I don't think I can give an honest review yet

I'll say this...so far my review would not be as positive as those already posted. To me it is esentially a premium Archangel(and not the stable CFR mold). I also don' think it has as much glide as has been stated. I do agree with the comments about how the spin locks it into its line. Is the disc revolutionary? no. Is it a welcome addition to the understable lineup? probably. Will it be the next PD? nope

zj1002 said:
Figure one of us needs to not write giant reviews on a new disc after just 1 day

Speaking of which,

I'm giving a review V.2 after this weekend when I am out in the mountain courses of NC and not just throwing various distance lines in the field.

zj1002 said:
well I don't think I can give an honest review yet

I'll say this...so far my review would not be as positive as those already posted. To me it is esentially a premium Archangel(and not the stable CFR mold). I also don' think it has as much glide as has been stated. I do agree with the comments about how the spin locks it into its line. Is the disc revolutionary? no. Is it a welcome addition to the understable lineup? probably. Will it be the next PD? nope

Revolutionary? No. Something different from current market choices? Yes. A good disc? Yes. The next PD? I don't think so...But DGR could certainly have a crush phase with this disc.

I really would like to know the weights of all our discs...I know Trey/me and Timko/Booter have discs that are the same color, but if the weights vary that can make a big difference in glide/cruising speed. Until we know the weights we must kind of assume that the discs we're testing are a little different from one another.

ZJ, I know you are the most power oriented player of the testers, so I could certainly see the FD perhaps not doing much for you that you couldn't already do with something else. If I was a power level higher than where I am I would probably just throw stable Teebirds and make them turn for me rather than wanting a more effortless FWY driver. As it is I am really prone to liking this disc because it's something I've been wanting for a while and it fills a gap in my bag.

Anyway, I went to a different course today to test the FD...It was another course where there were many different wooded holes in the 300'-360' to try and shape the FD on as many lines as I could. It is not that easy to get the FD to fly on an S turn...It really wants to hold whatever line it is on until very late in the flight. It reminds me of the Axis and Ion in this respect. I was seeing a lot of decent drives with it today, but not many great ones...I had some shots that I threw flat and turned and also shots that did not come up from a little too much hyzer. I think it is because this is a very touch oriented disc and I'm going to need a few weeks with it to know what it's truly capable of. I still am really enjoying it FH, which is a bit odd because I could never FH the Leopard clean.

Yeah I think my reviews will always be skewed. I don't throw a lot of finesse discs. I haven't field tested it, only the course so far. I'm going to hit up the driving range after work and work every line possible. Review should be up today or tomorrow

Latest posts