• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

i can see this going out to 400 on a good line. i was tossing my on a tiny hyzer,almost flat throw and got 360/370 ish a few times on some helix's im mostly interested in how it performs on low lines,technical lines more than distance lines. however,its nice to know that it has the potential to get out there

Frank Delicious said:
Well if he's going endzone to endzone, prob 330-360'

Corner to corner on the hyzerflip. Corner to corner, a regulation size football field is just just under 394'.

kern9787 said:
Frank Delicious said:
Well if he's going endzone to endzone, prob 330-360'

Corner to corner on the hyzerflip. Corner to corner, a regulation size football field is just just under 394'.

The reasoning for going corner to corner was to not slam my FD into the field house behind the field. :wink:

I just got back from the course and testing the FD. Mine is the other orange one, probably identical to Trey's. I didn't get to do any open full power rips, mostly I was throwing it on every tee either BH or FH and trying to hit gaps. It was pretty windy, with 5-10mph constant wind with stronger gusts.

Simply put it is a TB/TL/Leo hybrid (with a little RR in there as well). It has the speed of the TB/TL with the glide and flightpath of a premium plastic Leopard. I could also call it a QJLS with a bit more speed/glide/range. The wind resistance was fairly impressive for a neutral glidey disc...about the same as a TL. It glided easier and turned slower than a TL though.

Speed
The FD is about the speed of a TB/TL, but it holds it's speed/spin noticeably longer. As was mentioned previously, this is a very gyroscopic mold. I love the speed...It's exactly what I want between my mids and PDs/TDs.

Glide
This is where the FD really represents the "new" generation of fairway drivers...It glides like a RR. I was throwing it on BH and FH anhyzers and it turned VERY slow and glided awesome. It reminds me of my Axis in this respect, and I certainly see the seasoned Roc comparisons. The glide also brings the cruising speed down to about that of a JLS, and it can push into it's glide phase over a large range of speeds before actually getting understable or overstable.

HSS
I have a fairly flat and spin dominant throw. I use more reachback for max D, but I didn't do any of that with the FD today. On the 300-350' holes I used it on today it had just a touch of high speed turn...Mostly it just pushed forward on it's line of release. That being said, it turned easily with a slight anhyzer release, and as Trey said, if too low it would hold it to the ground (reminds me of Leo). I was throwing some very low shots that pushed forward from a hyzer release and flew long while holding their angle.

LSS
The FD seems to have a consistent LSS, at least if not turned too much. From flat and hyzer releases it always faded. It started fading at about the same point as a new Ch or S TB, but the fade is more gliding and forward. I should mention that although the disc does not fade out of low annies, it does at least fight to get flat.

Overall I'm very impressed and excited about this disc...It shows real promise of overcoming the shortcomings I've found with other fwy drivers. I had a lot of success throwing it both FH and BH...My FH is OATy with some discs, but the FD was coming out so butter smooth that I was bombing slow annies on holes where I normally throw BH hyzers. For a lot of the shots I wanted to throw with it the FD was simply too stable in it's new condition...So I can't wait to get this disc broken in a bit. It's a real winner imo and I can't wait to throw it some more. I'm going to be very vocal on DM's FB page that I feel the testers are great discs and they should keep that configuration for the first runs.

So if I was going to pick up a disc to use this next month to familiarize with a disc similar to an FD what would it be? TL? QJLS? Or a premium Leo just for the most similar feel?

Msarimaa said:
Discspeed, how would you compare FD and the River?

The FD is much less speed sensitive and has slower lateral movement. It seems like the River is always turning or fading for me where I already feel more control of the FD...It locks onto a line and then fades. So the River turns and fades much more...At the speed that a River starts turning the FD just pushes straight...It's hard to describe. It's like it's flips forward instead of to the right (rhbh).

How would you compare it to a worn in ESP cyclone (the stiff ones). Also, if I went back to Leos, why might I want to carry the fd instead? Just wondering, cause it sounds pretty nice.

colombo117 said:
How would you compare it to a worn in ESP cyclone (the stiff ones). Also, if I went back to Leos, why might I want to carry the fd instead? Just wondering, cause it sounds pretty nice.

I can't comment too much on ESP Cyclones. The ones I threw(not stiff) needed a lot more height to get D than the FD. As far as the Leo vs. the FD...The FD is faster with a bit more glide, so it goes farther with less height and effort. It's also a little more stable and wind resistant than the Leo. I could never throw a Leo FH without OAT either, but the FD comes of my hand clean.

A lot of generous praise for the FD going on in here already. Sounds like Discmania has produced a driver that will be useful to disc golfers of almost any skill/power level. Makes sense considering they have a fairly small line-up thus far. Here's hoping that they can figure out how to produce these things consistently and that people realize how useful a Leo style fairway/distance driver can be.

My only beef is that I feel so conflicted now! Innova fairway drivers have been the backbone of my driving game for so long. So comfortable with my line selection and range with my speed 6-7 discs :| . Oh well, change happens whether you like it or not and I am getting older. Yay for speed 8-9's with lots of glide, I guess...

CatPredator said:
My only beef is that I feel so conflicted now! Innova fairway drivers have been the backbone of my driving game for so long. So comfortable with my line selection and range with my speed 6-7 discs :| . Oh well, change happens whether you like it or not and I am getting older. Yay for speed 8-9's with lots of glide, I guess...
If it bothers you that much, just wipe the stamp off. It'll still say Innova on the bottom.

discspeed said:
Msarimaa said:
Discspeed, how would you compare FD and the River?

The FD is much less speed sensitive and has slower lateral movement. It seems like the River is always turning or fading for me where I already feel more control of the FD...It locks onto a line and then fades. So the River turns and fades much more...At the speed that a River starts turning the FD just pushes straight...It's hard to describe. It's like it's flips forward instead of to the right (rhbh).

Couldn't agree more with this statement.

FD likes to flip into a "locked" line. This disc definitely demonstrates many similar characteristics to the TB/PD in that it likes to lock on a line before gently fading.

CatPredator said:
A lot of generous praise for the FD going on in here already. Sounds like Discmania has produced a driver that will be useful to disc golfers of almost any skill/power level. Makes sense considering they have a fairly small line-up thus far. Here's hoping that they can figure out how to produce these things consistently and that people realize how useful a Leo style fairway/distance driver can be.

Being comfortable with your discs goes a long way. If you are conflicted about changing, just don't. They will still be making the discs you throw now.

jubuttib said:
CatPredator said:
If it bothers you that much, just wipe the stamp off. It'll still say Innova on the bottom.

It's not the marketing of the disc that bothers me! It's the process of buying one or two and auditioning them against my favorite drivers. I have no doubt the FD will feel pretty natural. I mean, who doesn't like throwing flippy fairway drivers? I don't like changing my bag much though, sort of a stubborn curmudgeon like that :x

Being comfortable with your discs goes a long way. If you are conflicted about changing, just don't. They will still be making the discs you throw now.

Indeed...still, here's hoping Discmania will see some success with the FD. Always like seeing cool shots and quality discs...

I think Z Expresses are like out of the box rollers right?

I don't think there is much of a comparison that I can come to.

id say its pretty similar to an el. im gonna thrrow mine today on a technical course and see hpw it flies. gonna also try to put more spin on it and see how it flies

money 21 said:
How does the fd compare to a z xpress?

I always though the Z xpress was like a Cheetah with a lot more turn and fade than the FD...They are close to the same speed, but the FD has more glide and a slower turn.

Latest posts