• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

uNicedmeMan said:
Booter said:
id say its pretty similar to an el.

And now Frankie has a boner.

vZp02.gif

Trey133 said:
I think Z Expresses are like out of the box rollers right?

I don't think there is much of a comparison that I can come to.
The Z Express turso had wasn't a roller by any means. IIRC it was actually pretty damn hard to get a decent turn out of it when brand new. X Xpress on the other hand...

My first ace was with a z xpress. I found one in the bottow of a disc bin the other day and thought i would revisit it. the FD is sounding alot like a new x xs to me. The one you are testing are s plastic right? if so a p might be a rolling machine.

cmlasley said:
So what is the speed of this thing? What is the wing width?
From the first post:
Timko said:
The Fairway Driver (or FD) is set to be released in the early part of 2012. It will also be know as the Jackal, and will be a slightly understable fairway driver.

Here's a link to Discmania's post on their website about the disc: http://www.discmania.net/2011/11/14/fd-in-the-works/

Specs:
Outside diameter: 21.2 cm
Inside rim diameter: 17.5 cm
Height: 1.8 cm
Rim depth: 1.1 cm
Rim thickness: 1.8 cm
Flight plate thickness: 0.2 cm
Flight plate to rim plane distance: 1.6 cm
Flexibility rating: 9.53 kg
Rim configuration rating: 34.75
Maximum weight allowed: 176.0 g

Things I know:
* It's been described to me as a faster Teebird by someone who has thrown it.
* It does not have the TL or EL bottom.

Let the speculation begin!
So around speed 7/8.

cmlasley said:
So what is the speed of this thing? What is the wing width?

1.8cm wing width, same as TL and Sidewinder...Though I think it's a bit slower than those two discs because it has a higher profile. It definitely feels like a fairway driver to me rather than a tweener like the PD/TD. I would say speed 8.

Definitely feeling the term "Neutral" on this guy.

Hyzerflips to flat just like a seasoned roc. Thats pretty much the best description I can give this thing. That and GLIDE (which it excels at!).

i'm debating putting in a decent sized order to dgv and was wanting to pick up an fd or 2 in the 160s. the color choices are red and orange, didn't know if any of you guys have thrown those colors or could speak how they are in terms of stability to other colors. right now i've been using the teebird/leopard combo for fairway duties and the std/ppd for a bit more distance. i really don't know where the fd will fit in with what i throw now, but still want to give the disc a shot.

on a side note anybody know off hand if dgv still has gummy ppds? i'll send an email but didn't know if anybody had ordered from them recently. i like the gummy ones better than the stiffies.

dehaas said:
right now i've been using the teebird/leopard combo for fairway duties and the std/ppd for a bit more distance. i really don't know where the fd will fit in with what i throw now, but still want to give the disc a shot.

what do you throw now?

my FD fits right in with my setup: C-PD (fairway-ish), Eagle-X, S-FD. PD is overstable/stable, Eagle is stable, FD is stable/understable. If you want to compare to Distance Drivers PD=Firebird, Eagle=Destroyer, FD=Valk. One more step as Mids PD=new KC roc, Eagle=new dx roc, FD=seasoned dx roc. that should cover it :p

The FD sees use for anything where i need to push through the stability (track right), technical shots (low ceiling or turnover technical), or where i dont feel comfortable crushing a roc (this is currently fighting the eagle for this spot).

dehaas said:
i'm debating putting in a decent sized order to dgv and was wanting to pick up an fd or 2 in the 160s. the color choices are red and orange, didn't know if any of you guys have thrown those colors or could speak how they are in terms of stability to other colors. right now i've been using the teebird/leopard combo for fairway duties and the std/ppd for a bit more distance. i really don't know where the fd will fit in with what i throw now, but still want to give the disc a shot.

on a side note anybody know off hand if dgv still has gummy ppds? i'll send an email but didn't know if anybody had ordered from them recently. i like the gummy ones better than the stiffies.

A couple of folks have the orange ones, but I didn't get any reds. I have a green one, so I can't speak to what the orange fly like. Judging by the responses, they seem to be relatively consistent across colors.

Mark told me the DGR P-PDs are the stiffer ones. I suggest emailing him directly ([email protected]) to see if they have any stock ones. He's a great guy to work with, and will do whatever he can to try to help.

ok so i threw the fd some more today and played 18 holes with it on a technical course. im guessing i got a freak of an fd because mine is nothing like the other 3. everybody says they power down easy,have turn and dont need to be thrown at 100% power to achieve this. mine however is pretty stable. i meed to throw it hard to make it turn a but before it fades out the last 20%. ill even go as far to say its more hss than my 2 yr old spd ive had in my bag.

compared to my ce qj thats 172 ,moderate domed and super straight,the fd is like an eagle x compared to the qj. i had a max weight later run qj that was more stable than my ce for wind duties and the sfd is identical to this one. i was able to shape lines but it needed alot of spin amd snap to hold a line long enough to go the line i wanted to hit. its not a bad thing that this one ia beefy but i really want to try zj's to see if im full o shit or do i really have a beefy sfd.

its $$$ for my sidearm though,very straight with just enough hss to handle flexing through the woods. bh seems to be another story

x-out said:
dehaas said:
right now i've been using the teebird/leopard combo for fairway duties and the std/ppd for a bit more distance. i really don't know where the fd will fit in with what i throw now, but still want to give the disc a shot.

what do you throw now?

my FD fits right in with my setup: C-PD (fairway-ish), Eagle-X, S-FD. PD is overstable/stable, Eagle is stable, FD is stable/understable. If you want to compare to Distance Drivers PD=Firebird, Eagle=Destroyer, FD=Valk. One more step as Mids PD=new KC roc, Eagle=new dx roc, FD=seasoned dx roc. that should cover it :p

The FD sees use for anything where i need to push through the stability (track right), technical shots (low ceiling or turnover technical), or where i dont feel comfortable crushing a roc (this is currently fighting the eagle for this spot).

I've been using my teebird as a stable fairway driver, thrown flat so it flies straight with a predictable fade at the end. Leopard mainly gets thrown on an anhyzer and rides its turn all the way to the ground. Both of these get thrown in the 300-330 range, anything under I use a buzzz or wizard. The gummy p pd I've got takes a similar flight as my teebird, just faster and a bit longer. I picked up stds with the intent of using them for the same shot as my leopards, just a bit longer. I've found that I love throwing them on a hyzerflip, they lock onto a line nice and ride pretty straight. So I'm wanting something similar in flight, but more along the terms of a fairway driver. I'm dabbling with the qjls for this, and want to try the fd as well. I've tried the leopard for this shot and it just doesn't click. I can throw it on a controlled anhyzer and feel extremely confident in it, hyzerflip not so much.

Timko said:
dehaas said:

A couple of folks have the orange ones, but I didn't get any reds. I have a green one, so I can't speak to what the orange fly like. Judging by the responses, they seem to be relatively consistent across colors.

Mark told me the DGR P-PDs are the stiffer ones. I suggest emailing him directly ([email protected]) to see if they have any stock ones. He's a great guy to work with, and will do whatever he can to try to help.

yeah, i sent him an email asking if there were any gummy ones sitting around. i've got a few of the stiff ones, and would rather know what they have ahead of time instead of placing an order and asking for gummies and crossing my fingers until they show up.

I was more interested in this disc when it was supposed to be under-stable...There are already so many good stable fairway drivers out there. I'm drowning in stable fairway drivers. I want something that turns nice and slow and controllably, a fairway scalpel. I've been using the Champion Panther for this slot, but that is a tad slower and less HSS than I was thinking. On the under-stable side, I have a gap between the Panther and a Pro Destroyer that would be nice to fill...was hoping the FD would be the one!

JHern said:
I was more interested in this disc when it was supposed to be under-stable...There are already so many good stable fairway drivers out there. I'm drowning in stable fairway drivers. I want something that turns nice and slow and controllably, a fairway scalpel. I've been using the Champion Panther for this slot, but that is a tad slower and less HSS than I was thinking. On the under-stable side, I have a gap between the Panther and a Pro Destroyer that would be nice to fill...was hoping the FD would be the one!

The mold seems to me like it really wants to be straight to understable (like the Leo/RR/TD) and the S plastic gives up stability reasonably quick with use. I think it's going to be an insane understable fairway when it beats to that point (i may have to experiment when I have more than one).

Latest posts