• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

I sent them to folks who had expressed a lot of interest in this disc before it had been made. I opted to try a couple of new people that didn't test the PD2 to try and spread the wealth around.

Next time (or even late this time :D ) count me in if possible. I could help out.

But to those who have tested it, how does it do in the wind? I didn't see you talk about that, Booter. It sounds more stable than I expected, so any idea about wind performance?

not sure yet since it was pretty calm yesterday. id imagine it would flygood in a headwind,atleast mine would. im anxiously waiting for the other testers to find out if i got a freak of a beefy fd. i need some course time with it to see how it shapes lines etc. timko,did u happen to ompare any of the plh of all the fd's you got?

Timko said:
I sent them to folks who had expressed a lot of interest in this disc before it had been made. I opted to try a couple of new people that didn't test the PD2 to try and spread the wealth around.
Could have sent one to me, I've been hankering for an FD since I first started throwing Discmania. =(

jubuttib said:
Timko said:
Could have sent one to me, I've been hankering for an FD since I first started throwing Discmania. =(

Ouch. I've seen your thoughtful, wordy reviews on the Discmania website and on here. Bummer you didn't get to be one of the first to try 'em out!

Kinda pumped to hear how they perform today.

CatPredator said:
Ouch. I've seen your thoughtful, wordy reviews on the Discmania website and on here. Bummer you didn't get to be one of the first to try 'em out!
The reason I did those was that there was a brand new max weight FR S-PD in it for me.=)

jubuttib said:
CatPredator said:
The reason I did those was that there was a brand new max weight FR S-PD in it for me.=)

Ah, you made out okay then! Nuts to the overseas shipping.

That is indeed a bitch. I'd like to buy five or so DGR S-FD's along with other discs, but I can only order two or three until it becomes too expensive and too much of a hassle with the customs etc.

Discmania FD Review.

EDIT* - Just wanted to give Timko a shout out at being incredibly gracious for "sharing the wealth" and letting me test such a cool new disc! I feel like Discmania hit one out of the park with this disc. I'd be excited if the production run came out exactly like the tester.

Plastic - I recieved the orange FD tester. This is a good feeling S line disc with a decently gummy flight plate with a dome that is comprable to the "not flat" leopards. Disc feels good in hand with a very comfortable rim width and depth for hands of all sizes.

Dome (Top mold) - Alright.. this is going to sound weird but does the dome on this bad boy kinda mimic the S-line GM-1s? I want to post up pictures but I'm at work (tested her out this morning on the local high school football field). Anyone able to maybe do a little side by side comparison. Either way it provides for good glide and VERY easy powerd down tosses of around 300 ft.

Bottom Mold - Modified leopard for sure. The bottom "lip" has been diminished quite a bit but is still noticeable and much like the TD's convex underside the FD boasts the same convex underside which is very similar to RR's I thought, but maybe a bit more minimal.

Outer Edge thickness - Timko mentions that this disc is incredibly similar in flight characteristics to a seasoned roc. I agree completely on this, and I feel that a lot of the reason might be the thicker edge. It blunts up the disc nicely, adds in a bit of stability and makes the disc feel midrangeish comfortable.

Flight Time!

Flat shots - High Power - Throwing this disc on a low flat line at close to full power yeilds a turn into the ground. You'll need some height on this disc in order to get some good turning and distance.
Flat shots - Low Power - I stood at one field goal and threw at around 70% power to the opposite field goal. This was giving the disc some height to allow the glide to help with the D. At 70% power on a flat shot I got some right turn and a subtle fade.

Hyzerflips - High Power - coming from NC we throw a lot of hyzerflips around here. This disc likes a high powered hyzerflip. This is definitely where I immediately felt at ease with the FD. It is very similar to a seasoned roc in that you can hyzerflip it to flat at a good rip power. It will flip to flat and ride. I was going corner to corner with this shot.
Hyzerflips - Low Power - Not really. Powered down hyzers will yeild a hyzer. The disc is trustworthy at doing this. It reminds me of when I threw hyzers with my old CE leopard. Although there was no wind to test this shot I am confident at around 60 - 70% power into a mild heady you could still get the same results althought maybe a little shorter with the wind stopping it.

Anhyzers - High Power - Killer sweeping anhyzers. Gotta give it enough height otherwise she'll ride down to the ground early.
Anhyzers - Low Power - This disc will shine with the touch shots. Shots where the TD or PPD were a little too fast for the low powered touches I feel this slower disc will be especially great. I will test this out next to my beat SPD STD and PPD tomorrow morning. I'm especially hyped to see how short I can get it to still hold a line I want to put it on. I had a tendency to overshoot targets with my TD putting it on touch anhyzer lines.

Rollers - Out of the box you can get a very predictable roll from this disc. From my shots I would recommend putting it at a decent cut to give a moderately straight line as it wants to pop up pretty fast and start going right (RHBH). This is unsurprising but it rolls very similarly to my old CE Leopard although I would say it wants to stand a little faster.

I can make this thing go endzone to endzone for pretty much any shot I just described above. I am going to take it out Hornets Nest to get a feel for it on some longer holes.

More review to come!

Hyzerflips - High Power - coming from NC we throw a lot of hyzerflips around here. This disc likes a high powered hyzerflip. This is definitely where I immediately felt at ease with the FD. It is very similar to a seasoned roc in that you can hyzerflip it to flat at a good rip power. It will flip to flat and ride. I was going corner to corner with this shot.

oh baby so stoked now.

Frank Delicious said:

oh baby so stoked now.

This was definitely where I was smiling a lot with this disc :)

wow yours sounds closer to timkos fd than to mine trey. both yours and timkos reviews are what i expected the fd to fly like. those shots you described above,are how my qjls flies. the fd was more stable than my qjls

id say my fd had a -1 for turn,2 for fade,5 for glide, prob a 7speed wise

Booter, give it a couple more days of throwing. Yours and mine look identical (both are green). I think it's more stable than I initially said, but when thrown with spin and power, it turns. When thrown with just spin (because of it's glide, it will fly forever like this), it generally holds the angle you put on it. It's a really versatile disc.

Trey133 said:
Discmania FD Review.

EDIT* - Just wanted to give Timko a shout out at being incredibly gracious for "sharing the wealth" and letting me test such a cool new disc! I feel like Discmania hit one out of the park with this disc. I'd be excited if the production run came out exactly like the tester.

Plastic - I recieved the orange FD tester. This is a good feeling S line disc with a decently gummy flight plate with a dome that is comprable to the "not flat" leopards. Disc feels good in hand with a very comfortable rim width and depth for hands of all sizes.

Dome (Top mold) - Alright.. this is going to sound weird but does the dome on this bad boy kinda mimic the S-line GM-1s? I want to post up pictures but I'm at work (tested her out this morning on the local high school football field). Anyone able to maybe do a little side by side comparison. Either way it provides for good glide and VERY easy powerd down tosses of around 300 ft.

Bottom Mold - Modified leopard for sure. The bottom "lip" has been diminished quite a bit but is still noticeable and much like the TD's convex underside the FD boasts the same convex underside which is very similar to RR's I thought, but maybe a bit more minimal.

Outer Edge thickness - Timko mentions that this disc is incredibly similar in flight characteristics to a seasoned roc. I agree completely on this, and I feel that a lot of the reason might be the thicker edge. It blunts up the disc nicely, adds in a bit of stability and makes the disc feel midrangeish comfortable.

Flight Time!

Flat shots - High Power - Throwing this disc on a low flat line at close to full power yeilds a turn into the ground. You'll need some height on this disc in order to get some good turning and distance.
Flat shots - Low Power - I stood at one field goal and threw at around 70% power to the opposite field goal. This was giving the disc some height to allow the glide to help with the D. At 70% power on a flat shot I got some right turn and a subtle fade.

Hyzerflips - Low Power - Not really. Powered down hyzers will yeild a hyzer. The disc is trustworthy at doing this. It reminds me of when I threw hyzers with my old CE leopard. Although there was no wind to test this shot I am confident at around 60 - 70% power into a mild heady you could still get the same results althought maybe a little shorter with the wind stopping it.

Anhyzers - High Power - Killer sweeping anhyzers. Gotta give it enough height otherwise she'll ride down to the ground early.
Anhyzers - Low Power - This disc will shine with the touch shots. Shots where the TD or PPD were a little too fast for the low powered touches I feel this slower disc will be especially great. I will test this out next to my beat SPD STD and PPD tomorrow morning. I'm especially hyped to see how short I can get it to still hold a line I want to put it on. I had a tendency to overshoot targets with my TD putting it on touch anhyzer lines.

Rollers - Out of the box you can get a very predictable roll from this disc. From my shots I would recommend putting it at a decent cut to give a moderately straight line as it wants to pop up pretty fast and start going right (RHBH). This is unsurprising but it rolls very similarly to my old CE Leopard although I would say it wants to stand a little faster.

I can make this thing go endzone to endzone for pretty much any shot I just described above. I am going to take it out Hornets Nest to get a feel for it on some longer holes.

More review to come!

Trey, can you give me an idea of what distances you're throwing these?

Timko,

Matt answered the question but I wanted to confirm that I was throwing from the line of the endzone into the other endzone. Which Would be 110 yards or 330' feet. Some went past the endzone at around 350' or so.

I'm taking it out to some holes hopefully today/tomorrow morning so I can see if I can hit 400 with it, its probably going to be a long shot but my best distance lines are hyzerflips so we'll see how it works.

Latest posts