• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

discspeed said:
Actually, I've got 5 more orange 175 DGR SFDs on order that should be identical to mine. :wink:
Yeah, good luck with that. The name on the bottom of the discs still says Innova. I don't trust them for a second with consistency, even if the color, weight and run matches. =)

Working Stiff said:
Broken rule #1: I have not been following this thread.

Broken rule #2: I'm not going back to try to read it.

So, somebody sell me. I've got till the end of the day to decide to order one or not.

I have kids who need Christmas gifts 'n stuff, so I need a really good reason to spend money on myself right now. I have a nice line-up of new to beat M JLS covering what I'm assuming will be this slot that I'm not unhappy with. Other than my basic disc-whore instinct to buy every disc I see, why should I buy these?

GO!

It's way better than the JLS.

Wayyyyyy Better

Note: i have not thrown this disc.

Working Stiff said:
Broken rule #1: I have not been following this thread.

Broken rule #2: I'm not going back to try to read it.

So, somebody sell me. I've got till the end of the day to decide to order one or not.

I have kids who need Christmas gifts 'n stuff, so I need a really good reason to spend money on myself right now. I have a nice line-up of new to beat M JLS covering what I'm assuming will be this slot that I'm not unhappy with. Other than my basic disc-whore instinct to buy every disc I see, why should I buy these?

GO!

It's way better than the JLS.

Wayyyyyy Better

Note: i have not thrown this disc.

Working Stiff said:
Other than my basic disc-whore instinct to buy every disc I see, why should I buy these?

I haven't seen any compelling reasons. So far the consensus is that it's an understable fairway driver with better than average glide that's only available in S line plastic.

discspeed said:
One thing I haven't really posted about regarding the FD is how well it does powered down on low ceiling shots. Hole #1 (short middle position) at Taylor Park is only between 250' and 300' (I don't remember exactly), but it is very technical with the only conventional BH line being a very low ceiling S shot. Both in warmups and during the handicap today I finessed the FD on a slight anny release and it carved the hole exactly. This is so key to my game down here because as I've mentioned again and again course design in FL often revolves around low ceilings (no elevation). The FD is the first fairway that I've been able to throw how I want on many holes with touch and accuracy...All the other fairways I've used that were also good at low ceilings really needed to be powered to hit those lines, but the FD can do it with finesse. I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD. The only discs I've seen and thrown that fly anything like the FD for me are old seasoned CE TLs and CE Leopards.
still sounds like an x xs to me.

money 21 said:
discspeed said:
One thing I haven't really posted about regarding the FD is how well it does powered down on low ceiling shots. Hole #1 (short middle position) at Taylor Park is only between 250' and 300' (I don't remember exactly), but it is very technical with the only conventional BH line being a very low ceiling S shot. Both in warmups and during the handicap today I finessed the FD on a slight anny release and it carved the hole exactly. This is so key to my game down here because as I've mentioned again and again course design in FL often revolves around low ceilings (no elevation). The FD is the first fairway that I've been able to throw how I want on many holes with touch and accuracy...All the other fairways I've used that were also good at low ceilings really needed to be powered to hit those lines, but the FD can do it with finesse. I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD. The only discs I've seen and thrown that fly anything like the FD for me are old seasoned CE TLs and CE Leopards.
still sounds like an x xs to me.

The xxs is a lot touchier for me...It flips faster when it goes, especially when broken in a bit.

jubuttib said:
And should beat in faster, being X.
sounds like these sfd are beating in pretty fast. (the xxs in green and red beat slow. light blue yellow and white fast and dark blue in the middle.)
I was talking more about the lines. the low ceiling shot is great for the xxs for me. 300' never more then 8' off the ground shallow s curve. parked this shot with a seasoned xxs morning. sounds likes discspeed shot.

I hope the fd can hit the same line i do with my xxs because i am waiting for discraft to dicotinue it like they have every other disc of theres i have fallen in love with.

So the past week has had days of 30+ mph wind or rain. And while I was playing in those conditions, I was not getting a lot of solid feedback with the FD. So today, I was able to finally play in some decent wind (variable-5mph) and temp (about 42 degrees). I was able to play Rosedale in 3/4 of the short settings. For those who are not familiar with that course, Rosie short is a turnover midrange dream. Tons of holes in the 270-300' that require working the disc from left to right. Instead of throwing my normal Roc shot, I decided to throw the FD on an anhyzer line. Like discspeed said, this disc likes to be worked, not powered, and it was so evident this afternoon. I was able to quickly range in the line and height for the correct distances, both uphill and downhill. I overpowered the disc on 2 holes, and both times I got a shot that turned quickly to the right. I was able to throw it with some elevation with some height and get good distance on a couple of 325' holes that were right turning with ease. This is a really positive thing for me; I basically can change the height (like I do with a Roc) to get something ranged in distance.

I was starting to doubt my liking of this disc due to the conditions I had been playing in, but this afternoon reaffirmed my liking of this disc.

I am curious what the DGR run will be like. I can only assume they come from the same run as these testers.

It is more of a "control driver" than anything(much more so than the CD itself). It is a very unique fairway driver. I don't think many others discs really do what this thing does. A leopard or JLS really only behave like this after some serious seasoning. but it isn't flippy. the turn is different. it isn't a disc that turns and just tracks way far right. It basically turns right while penetrating forward(when thrown flat). pretty much any throw inside 350ft that needs to land flat or turnover, this disc can handle.

Agreed.

Thanks to all of the reviewers of the disc over these past couple of weeks BTW. I'll be putting together something for Jussi this week in terms of our findings.

It was pretty awesome to get to test a disc first

In essence it really speaks to what DGR should be. A disc review site. Creating buzz around a new disc with a tester review can definitely increase sales. Just look at how heavy the DGR order ended up tilting towards FD orders. Normally you can only pick up pre-release discs as CFR for major tournaments. This is a website getting a shot at a disc a month or so before it comes out.

zj1002 said:
It was pretty awesome to get to test a disc first

In essence it really speaks to what DGR should be. A disc review site. Creating buzz around a new disc with a tester review can definitely increase sales. Just look at how heavy the DGR order ended up tilting towards FD orders. Normally you can only pick up pre-release discs as CFR for major tournaments. This is a website getting a shot at a disc a month or so before it comes out.

I agree wholeheartedly. It would be awesome if more disc companies started sending testers to DGR...

I think if we reached out we could make it happen. I think it is the logical evolution of this site. Similar to what you see with tech/game review sites who get their hands on a product early in order drum up hype for both parties

The getting testers to hype on works well until we get a disc that the community thinks is a dud. What manufacturer is going to send out discs to get some viral marketing hype going after their last one was called out by the online community? That leaves us in the same getting free stuff vs giving an objective review that so many video game reviewers are struggling with.

warobert said:
The getting testers to hype on works well until we get a disc that the community thinks is a dud. What manufacturer is going to send out discs to get some viral marketing hype going after their last one was called out by the online community? That leaves us in the same getting free stuff vs giving an objective review that so many video game reviewers are struggling with.

Make a quality product or gtfo.

Reputable video game reviewers do that shit for a living. DGR testers review discs for kicks. I don't think you'll have much problem getting objective reviews as long as you don't give the testers [exclusively] to sponsored players and fanboys.

CatPredator said:
warobert said:

Make a quality product or gtfo.

Reputable video game reviewers do that shit for a living. DGR testers review discs for kicks. I don't think you'll have much problem getting objective reviews as long as you don't give the testers [exclusively] to sponsored players and fanboys.

This. The operative word is testers. If they don't want accurate feedback, be it positive or negative, they aren't going to bother testing the disc in the first place.

Latest posts