• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

thanks guys. I compiled the reviews out of this thread into an email to send to Mark (and onto Discmania) to give Jussi an idea of what people are doing with his disc.

One thing that Trey mentioned above: this thing is awesome for throwing spin-dominated hyzers with. I played Swope yesterday, and in the shorter configuration, I have a couple 300' hyzers to throw. Generally these holes are downwind, and downhill. However, I can't really air a Roc out because of the shape, so I generally power down a PD and hope I don't fade it too much to the left. Well yesterday, I shaped 2 perfect hyzers at this range with the FD. I was able to throw it higher than the PD (I normally throw the PD low here to take off distance), but low enough to work the fairway correctly. Both shots were thrown at 60% power and easily got there.

I also threw a couple of anhyzers, and like before, I'm quite pleased with them. I even through one into a 15mph L/R crosswind with a bit of headwind and was still able to control the shot. I think that once I get the hang of this disc, it's going to be a staple of my game, even in the wind.

When will Discmania come out with a bad mold? =)

Eagerly looking forward to receiving my DGR S-FD's and getting some C-FD's when they're released.

Mine just shipped, can't wait to get them based off the reviews I've read.

Trey133 said:
Notable mentions -
Neutral flight - Its not comet neutral. But again, mimics a seasoned roc soooooo much. Its uncanny how "seasoned roc" this thing acts. Especially in the hyzer flip department. Thats just where I fall in pure love with it. Its such a Leopard/Eagle L its not even funny.
Distance Potential - On all side by side throws with the TD and the PPD the FD was either right next to them for the controlled shots or slightly ahead (of my PPD for powered down shots) of them sometimes. Given the correct height this thing can GO.
Comfortable Grip - I let some Charlotte folk throw this disc yesterday at the Beaver and they loved it. Things they mentioned right off the bat:
1) Comfortable dome, grip, and rim
2) "give it a few tree hits and it will be a turnover dream"
3) Great glide, good for powered down shots

All in all, I stopped pulling out my TD first for shots that I used to pull it out on. I think the FD is a better disc for what I wanted the TD to be, and I have an unholy allegiance to the PD so it goes nowhere.

I agree with everything you've stated in your reviews, and that makes sense since were throwing identical discs. One additional thing I'd add to your above list is that it flies very well low to the ground and does not require the height that most other fairway drivers do.

In terms of my bag I'm going through the same decision making processes that you are...PDs are definitely my mainstay. The only TD that I've been really impressed with are my red champystars...They have amazing glide and are understable, so they can pull off some crazy shots. I just carry one and I see it as my most understable PD. The FD is a versatile stop gap between my mids and PDs...Eventually I could see it as sharing the spotlight with my PDs, especially if the CFD ends up staying more stable.

If Jussi would have called me a year ago and asked me what I thought the FD should fly like I would have pretty much described the disc I'm testing. :clap: Just don't change it...

I just got my DGR FDs in the mail. I ordered all orange, same as the tester I received. They feel stiffer and slicker than my Test FD, so I'm not sure it's the same run. The mold looks identical though, and the shape/PLH is very consistent with the disc I have. They look great (white, black, rainbow stamps) and feel more durable, so I can't wait to test them out! Unfortunately it will probably be a week before I can throw them as I'm traveling for the holidays.

These bad boys have a ton of glide and a notch of lss I wasn't expecting.

agreed. mine also come back pretty hard at the end, which I wasn't expecting, but like.

I just got my DGR order of PDs and a FD and went to the practice field today. I made the mistake of throwing my PDs first into a little headwind about 10' high, out to 300' where they faded about 40' left off my original target line as expected. My throw on a similar thrown flatish line with the FD shot hard right, like 40' off my line to the right before the fade prevented any further error. The 300' downwinder return had a tight s-flight requiring very little room to work and a lot less fade than my newish EL. I think I'm going to like the FD for the straight wooded tunnels around here.

FD/Jakal needs a business card, because these things DO WORK!

BTW I haven't thrown it yet, it just feels money.

I ran my fingernail across the rim of my new DGR FD, and I get the tell tail 'zipper' sound. This generally means a recently made mold piece. Did anyone else notice this?

Timko said:
I ran my fingernail across the rim of my new DGR FD, and I get the tell tail 'zipper' sound. This generally means a recently made mold piece. Did anyone else notice this?

I can see and feel the lines on the bottom of the wing.

Just got my order of PPDs and SFDs. The PPDs feel like a nice stiff blend. Looking forward to throwing them all, but can't until February due to injury.

Happy to support DGR and get a sneak preview on the FDs.

Got some good throws in today with the FD at a 25 hole course and threw it a whole bunch. Bullet points of things I noted:

- Pretty good at ranging. You can throw this thing between 330-370' pretty easily by varying the height and nose angle.

- does not like to be torqued on.

- mine can be thrown into mild headwinds ok but mine are kinda stable

- lots and lots of glide

- loves to be hyzer flipped

- great back hand roller disc. Threw a bunch of them in a field today with it and it rolls great.

- Hard to flick cleanly, the deep rim from the dome and the nose angle sensitivity make it hard to get a good FH throw for me.

- can be powered (not torqued) pretty hard if you get a clean release.

Frank Delicious said:
Got some good throws in today with the FD at a 25 hole course and threw it a whole bunch. Bullet points of things I noted:

- Pretty good at ranging. You can throw this thing between 330-370' pretty easily by varying the height and nose angle.

- does not like to be torqued on.

- mine can be thrown into mild headwinds ok but mine are kinda stable

- lots and lots of glide

- loves to be hyzer flipped

- great back hand roller disc. Threw a bunch of them in a field today with it and it rolls great.

- Hard to flick cleanly, the deep rim from the dome and the nose angle sensitivity make it hard to get a good FH throw for me.

- can be powered (not torqued) pretty hard if you get a clean release.

Are you throwing the testers or DGR discs?

I have an orange 172 and red 175 and they are pretty much the same as yours Frank. Very easy to hyzer flip, ton of glide, just keeps on going, and with the right height can push it out to 380.

I've got a red 170 and an orange 175, and my two actually fly fairly differently from each other, it may just be the weight, but I don't think so. (the 175 has a noticeably lower PLH). My red one flies like everyone is describing, but the orange is noticeably more overstable. It doesn't really flip up from a hyzer all that much, and ended up far right of my intended target several times because of this (I'm a lefty). I actually really like the difference and both discs have a spot in my bag, I just wanted to mention it.

curt said:
I've got a red 170 and an orange 175, and my two actually fly fairly differently from each other, it may just be the weight, but I don't think so. (the 175 has a noticeably lower PLH). My red one flies like everyone is describing, but the orange is noticeably more overstable. It doesn't really flip up from a hyzer all that much, and ended up far right of my intended target several times because of this (I'm a lefty). I actually really like the difference and both discs have a spot in my bag, I just wanted to mention it.
The orange one has a lower PLH and is more overstable? Well that's a first.

I ordered two 175 oranges and one 172 red, I need to compare them when they arrive.

Latest posts