• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

The orange one has a lower PLH and is more overstable? Well that's a first.

Actually, upon closer inspection it appears that my memory has failed me and that I had that backwards. The red's PLH is only slightly lower.

curt said:
The orange one has a lower PLH and is more overstable? Well that's a first.
Actually, upon closer inspection it appears that my memory has failed me and that I had that backwards. The red's PLH is only slightly lower.
OK, the laws of physics are still functioning as they should, carry on!

Any of you with FD's think they would work well as a standalone fairway mold, with different weights/plastics? Or do they need something to compliment them in their speed range? I'm throwing MD2's and PD's if that helps.

Unless you have exceptionally clean form and are willing to take a little off and throw with extreme hyzer, these aren't going to fit any kind of overstable or headwind needs. If you really feel like you need something in this speed range to throw that will finish more than moderately overstable, then you'll need something else. On the other hand, I do think you can either power down a pd or throw a midrange hard to fulfill that need.

Fightingthetide said:
Any of you with FD's think they would work well as a standalone fairway mold, with different weights/plastics? Or do they need something to compliment them in their speed range? I'm throwing MD2's and PD's if that helps.

yeah you could honestly make a sweet 4 disc lineup with P2, MD2, FD, and PD(beefy one). It would cover just about any shot you need on the course

Fightingthetide said:

They are stand alone as a fairway if you have PDs and an overstable utility disc in your bag. FDs compliment PDs exceptionally well, flying straight to understable at the higher end of their range(350+), and workable on any line at less than that range. They fly well at different speeds like PDs as well.

How would you compare it to a TL? Discspeed would this take over your river? or they too different?

linkinparkervii said:
How would you compare it to a TL? Discspeed would this take over your river? or they too different?

Major overlap with a River. Not as much with the TL. TLs are fairly power hungry and work straight lines and super long slow turns. I doubt he's still carrying a River. They're subject to quite a bit of variation in stability. Some might actually come close to the FD, but others are very touchy, especially after they break in. We'll see how the FD holds up over time and how good Discmania's consistency from run to run is.

What about JLS? Lately I really liking the 166g QJLS. I should get DGR FD/PD/TD tomorrow so looking forward trying them out, especially the FDs.

linkinparkervii said:

They remind me a bit of one of the old pro TLs when fresh, but they do glide and work lines better when powered down better than a Star or Champ TL. Personally I think TBs even power down better than TLs, which are speed sensitive for a slower driver (if underthrown they can be pretty overstable, yet turn fairly hard at high speeds). The FD is pretty representative of a TL/Leo hybrid...It has the speed and line of a TL, but with the Leo's glide and low cruising speed.

The FD locks onto a line much more than a River, which in my experience likes to be turning or fading gently for most of it's flight. The River is more speed and nose angle sensitive, but is probably a bit longer/easier to put on a max D line. For me the FD is more versatile over a wider range of speeds and distances. The FD is also a bit better in the wind. I dropped the River a little while ago and had just been powering down PDs/TDs for a bit before I got my FD.

Got mine in this afternoon. Two 175 Orange. Didn't get to throw it on the course only got about 5-6 throws on a football field going goalpost to goalpost so I was throwing them in the 350'-360' range.

A lot of people have reviewed this disc already so to sum it all up quickly I thought it flew a lot like a TL, maybe a half notch faster, and if I was going to compare it to something in the Discmania line I'd say it's like a slower version of my C-TD, surprisingly stable for an understable driver, turns just a little bit before locking in straight and fades out with fairly predictable LSS.

You torque it over though and it flips, turns and burns. Almost Comet like in that it really likes to be released cleanly with a little bit of air.Overall it's a nice touch disc, that should be pretty workable.

I'll be buying a few more Jackals when they come into production. I haven't thrown the C-TD that Matt compared the FD too but I can say my 175 S-TD turns a lot more and is fairly sensitive to release angles. A few degrees too much anny on my S-TD and it might not come all the way back on a 330' 15' high turnover line.

My 175 DGR orange FD flew some tight s-curves at Shelby Forest yesterday. I pulled #8 East a few feet right of my target line (small target tree 100' short of but in line with basket) with a few degrees anny on a low line. My FD turned 10' around the trees in the fairway (directly right of target tree) and even with my late release the FD had enough fade to land 270' and 5' from the basket. I can't throw a roc that far without some height which is limited for me here due to the canopy.

shelbyforesteast8.jpg

Five or so degrees anny and the FD turned right around the big trees 200' in the middle of the fairway (10' right of direct basket line) and then had plenty of fade landing 8' left of the basket on Shelby Forest #10 302'.

shelbyforesteast10.jpg

I think the C-TD's are a little more stable compared to the S-Lines. I have to throw mine flat with A LOT of spin to get an S -Curve out of it. I could be seeing more turn out of mine because I'm throwing it in a different range. I think both the holes you showed would be Buzzz/Fuse range for me. Not trying to talk down just explaining why mine might seem TD like.

Anyways got some course work with mine and kinda thought of another analogy for this disc. It reminds me of a beat-up Stalker that stays in the air. Easy to flip and work, but if you don't get it up to speed it flies surprisingly stable.

I just got DGR S-FD, C-PD, S-PD and S-TD yesterday evening so I took them out for spin today and I really like S-FD a lot. It is similar to River, JLS and Leopard. Can throw straight with very little fade and can do nice anny lines. So it is going to be in my bag. I also like S-TD as I threw a nice anny line that went further than GL Vision I normally throw with. Again many thanks DGR as I am very pleased of what I got! Happy Holidays!

I got out in a snowy field to throw these around a little bit today and my first impressions are that I really really like them. Can't wait to get them out on a course in the new year.

I think I'm gonna stash one in my suitcase and play with it on the frozen lake next week.

I really like those S-FD very much so hope they don't change that mold at all. I have the 168 and 170's and they fly nicely for me. I am sure the 175 ones will be bit more stable (to anyone who have both 175 and 170, how do both compare?, I wanted to order 175 but it is out of stock!) The C-FD would be awesome as I would assume it will be bit more stable than the S line.

jc39499 said:
(to anyone who have both 175 and 170, how do both compare?, I wanted to order 175 but it is out of stock!)

For contrast, I picked up two FDs, a 175g and a 165g. The difference in stability/tolerance for a less than pretty throw between the two discs was greater than I would have expected from solely the weight difference. PLH difference was nominal, if any. The 165g FD was noticeably domier than it's 175g counterpart. My form is not particularly clean with the problem being exacerbated by almost non-existent practice/play time lately. When I took the FDs out to a field with a handful of Rivers of various flavors, I was having problems putting power effectively behind the 165g FD with it being consistently one of my poorer throws of the grouping. On the other hand, the 175g FD was consistently among the better throws of the grouping, both in terms of control and distance.The disc yielding overall best throws of the grouping was a 166g GL River that I have a good deal of familiarity with so it will be interesting to see what more play time with the heavier FD could yield.

I threw my 175 FD over 1000' this afternoon. :mrgreen: Threw it from about 80' above the lake and it went dead nuts straight for about 450' before landing flat on the ice for a monster skip followed by a huge slide. Soooo much fun.

Latest posts