• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

JR said:
Wouldn't a River be a closer comparison to the FD? Don't have FDs.

The River in general is more nose angle and speed sensitive than the FD. It also turns and fades more. The River was one of the hardest discs I've learned to shape exact lines consistently...If I got it turning, either by speed or nose/release angle, it stayed turned most the time. I had a hell of a time getting powered down shots that would turn a little and fade consistently. This same shot was repeatable for me with the FD almost from the get-go.

I really wish there wasnt snow and wasnt soo cold out. I really want to throw my FD. 175 orange

It will be 4 degrees for a high here today. Might get out and toss my red 175 FD ;-P

discspeed said:
JR said:
Wouldn't a River be a closer comparison to the FD? Don't have FDs.

The River in general is more nose angle and speed sensitive than the FD. It also turns and fades more. The River was one of the hardest discs I've learned to shape exact lines consistently...If I got it turning, either by speed or nose/release angle, it stayed turned most the time. I had a hell of a time getting powered down shots that would turn a little and fade consistently. This same shot was repeatable for me with the FD almost from the get-go.

I usually have no need for those kinds of lines with the holes around here. I've used Opto River for straight shots with minimal fade and more D than Leopards. The added wind handling is a bonus. Rivers are like Buzzzes in that they are great for straight shots but very difficult to place sideways right of the initial line with small increments. It's either straight or quite a bit of right movement per each additional degree of anny. So it's sensitive to those shots and there something more HSS would be safer like a Beast. Less gliding discs might help too.

For Rivers powered down slight turn then fade is way easier to accomplish with a flat shot than an annied shot. The flat shot just needs to have the disc oriented according to the desired anny angle in the hand. Actually for me the exact degree by degree control of anny starting from 1 degree sems to be nigh impossible. Certainly not repeatable. For me around 4 degrees anny in the arm swing plane is the minimum i can plan for and that is still not the most consistent shot. I probably need more finesse training for that shot. I've not used a lot of annies because it's not a usual shot around here. And being good with flat shots means that titling the disc in the had with the flat shot is always much more accurate and repeatable for me so i've not needed to throw with one degree accuracy with the arm swing plane. Not throwing means not progressing. Take away the need to train and i've gotten time to train other shots. One is never ready in this sport no matter what the champs say. There's always room for improvement.

I clearly need a lot of throws to perfect the arm swing plane accuracy in 1-5 degree anny range for 1 degree accuracy. I've tried this with foot placement and running direction changes and at least when i tried it i wasn't accurate enough. It seems that the flat shots are good for me only when running on the center line of the tee being upright. Not running right to left tilted to the right.

FD sounds more like competition for a Leo than the River although from specs the speed and range of the FD should be closer to the River. Faster though. Beast like?

JR, how many Beasts do you have in the bag? I thought you used them for controlled distance.

I miss my lost FD. It was great for a quick, pop that would easily turnover but have enough fade to s-curve back to at least straight on a few degrees of anny finesse flick. I'm currently flicking a glow stalker for those lines but the stalker is a little more sensitive and stable.

PM me if you've got an extra FD you'd be willing to trade/sell.

I usually save my back by not hauling extras but in competition i'll bring a back up of some of the most important and easy to use discs for courses with no water hazards. The Beast might be the only one i'd bring a third disc to a watery competition. Controlled distance close to max D is the role for the Beast but it powers down well too. River is for shorter throws. River can fly almost as far if i have a good day and can generate full power. That does not happen each day and i have a large drop in D powering down even a little with the River. OTOH 360' is easy with it and that's always available. Stalker is way shorter and in Glo Z it fades as much or more as the Beast. Which is more than the River at full power. River fades a little more at 95 % getting closer to Beast fade.

I'm finally starting to really feel some touch with my FD as I'm dialing in on it's speed tolerances for different lines. I'm using it mostly for technical shots in the woods, and these shots are holding their line with very little push/high speed turn with a gliding fade that starts to kick in about 3/4 of the way through the flight. These holes range from a little over 300' to about 340'. Past 340' I start to see high speed turn. I haven't worked with it enough at the next power level as it starts to overlap with my TD/PDs, but powered down it is a hell of a fairway driver.

I do love the FD but I'm where Discspeed is at also, I can't get it over 350' without it turning too much for me.

thats one of the main reasons it never got past tester phase for me. QJLS can handle the same shots and take the power up past 400ft

Sorry if this gets off topic, but is there any need for an FD (or similar) when I have variety of new to beat PD's?

When a PD gets beat into having some high speed turn it is still hard to get it to hold slow turning lines on shorter shots (300-340) without turning too hard or fading out early. This is how the FD compliments my PD arsenal.

discspeed said:
I'm using it mostly for technical shots in the woods, and these shots are holding their line with very little push/high speed turn with a gliding fade that starts to kick in about 3/4 of the way through the flight. These holes range from a little over 300' to about 340'. Past 340' I start to see high speed turn. I haven't worked with it enough at the next power level as it starts to overlap with my TD/PDs, but powered down it is a hell of a fairway driver.

I'm using Star Leopards for this shot, but at 250' to 325'. At 325', my Star Leo shows some turn, but still fades predictably. At 250'-300' it's pretty straight and holds the line it's put on. Does this pretty much describe a slower FD?

Latest posts