• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

I posted on discmanias facebook page asking about the FD and i got "FDs are available (for limited run) beginning of next week. Stay tuned. Production run of S-line will be released in March.". I asked where the limited runs will be available, "Patience my friend, you'll see ;)"

I want them NOW

linkinparkervii said:
I posted on discmanias facebook page asking about the FD and i got "FDs are available (for limited run) beginning of next week. Stay tuned. Production run of S-line will be released in March.". I asked where the limited runs will be available, "Patience my friend, you'll see ;)"

I want them NOW

Any wanna bet $$ it's going to be DGV? Anything about CFDs?

discspeed said:
linkinparkervii said:

I want them NOW

Any wanna bet $$ it's going to be DGV? Anything about CFDs?

Booter posted about the Memorial being the "limited release" Right now I just want production FDs, whether it be C or S lol

My DGR FD is longer than I thought it would be, a lot more like a seasoned Valk than a DX EX. Does it power down well? I didn't get very many throws in before the snow hit and they were all 100%.

The rim is beefy and the dome is considerable, so it's not sitting well in my hand. I have to use a stack grip to get comfortable...maybe that'll be a good thing for distance control.

On the bright side, the plastic is sweet, the orange/red color pops, and of course the stamp is cool. I want to like this disc since my DX EX's zip through the sweet spot too fast but my Stars don't break in quickly enough.

emiller3 said:
My DGR FD is longer than I thought it would be, a lot more like a seasoned Valk than a DX EX. Does it power down well? I didn't get very many throws in before the snow hit and they were all 100%.

The rim is beefy and the dome is considerable, so it's not sitting well in my hand. I have to use a stack grip to get comfortable...maybe that'll be a good thing for distance control.

On the bright side, the plastic is sweet, the orange/red color pops, and of course the stamp is cool. I want to like this disc since my DX EX's zip through the sweet spot too fast but my Stars don't break in quickly enough.

Mine powers down really well. I love it for standstill or shots that I cant get a full pull on.

linkinparkervii said:
emiller3 said:

Mine powers down really well. I love it for standstill or shots that I cant get a full pull on.

I feel the same way about mine. I've been using it for powered down hyzers that gently fade and stick where they land. These lines in particular feel more natural with the FD than my PDs, which tend to fade hard/skip on the same type shots.

So how much is a new fd gonna overlap with seasoned P's and S lines?
The fd is slower correct?

Roc Lover said:
So how much is a new fd gonna overlap with seasoned P's and S lines?
The fd is slower correct?

They fly fundamentally different lines...The PD is sharp and angular in it's flight, always seemingly moving somewhere in a straight line before changing direction on another straight line. The FD is slower and a lot more curvy in it's action. Certainly there are holes/basic lines that they can both fly on, but when I throw them both on the same hole they do not look the same in the air at all. The FD also flies much better on an anny release. The PD loses height fast when turned, so I prefer to throw hyzer flip to anny shots with them for right turns. Since my FD is too HSS for hyzer flipping at fairway distances right now, I have to put anny on it. It holds it altitude really well on these releases. For example, I used my FD a couple of days ago on like a 275' hole and a mild right to left crosswind. There is water on the left, a very low ceiling straight/right out of the teebox (which almost always sends you into the water), a valley you must throw over, a climb to the basket marred with tree roots, with the basket under a low hanging tree. I threw the FD turned out of my and and it held a beautiful line without losing any altitude and pulled up right at the basket.

The PD really is a fast disc to me, but it doesn't really have a lot of glide. It has glide enough to combine with it's speed and get good D, but there isn't much "float" to it's flight. The FD is the opposite...It's not very fast, but has a great deal of glide.

In conclusion, I think the FD/PD is probably the best fairway/tweener driving combo on the planet. Both are effective over a great range of distances and start out overstable enough to end up covering all stabilities as they break in.

discspeed said:
The FD also flies much better on an anny release. The PD loses height fast when turned...
Like hell they do, my PD's fly gloriously on anhyzer lines. The FD might be better, but the PD is great at anhyzer shots.

i wish i still had my first ppd. i lost it a month or two ago in a damn creek. it was a beefy 178 but it was so straight even being thrashed. i loved tgrowing it on big anny lines all the way to the ground

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
The FD also flies much better on an anny release. The PD loses height fast when turned...
Like hell they do, my PD's fly gloriously on anhyzer lines. The FD might be better, but the PD is great at anhyzer shots.

What I was really trying to convey is that the FD holds it's height on an anhyzer release where the PD gets diving toward the ground faster. So the PD needs more height on an anhyzer release. This is a common issue where I play as I have to throw powered down, low ceiling annies. The PD wasn't too good at this, and neither was the TD (probably both a little too fast), but the FD is perfect.

I throw lots of annies with PDs. It usually looks like this for me: The disc goes straight out of my hand for a bit, takes a fast dive to the right, then it pulls up and straightens out...The FD is much less abrupt as I mentioned earlier, flying on slight curves instead of lines when turning either direction.

Would you liken it more to a roadrunner or sidewinder? In its turn-y-ness that it. I am just afraid that this is gonna be another TD type disc that is more hss than I was lead to believe. If this disc is slightly slower and has hss between those two discs i might have a new favorite driver.

Roc Lover said:
Would you liken it more to a roadrunner or sidewinder? In its turn-y-ness that it. I am just afraid that this is gonna be another TD type disc that is more hss than I was lead to believe. If this disc is slightly slower and has hss between those two discs i might have a new favorite driver.

The ones I have are close to most TDs in HSS rather than SW/RRs...Though it definitely is slightly slower than SW/RR. I would describe the ones I have as slower, slightly more gliding TDs.

Heard this back from Discmania facebook page when asking about the C-FD
"The FD will be available as a fundraiser very shortly in C- & S-line material. We'll post more info once they're available ;)"

discspeed said:
Roc Lover said:

The ones I have are close to most TDs in HSS rather than SW/RRs...Though it definitely is slightly slower than SW/RR. I would describe the ones I have as slower, slightly more gliding TDs.

That sounds to overlap more with the River than the Leo. Leos lack the superb glide of the River. What's the glide of the Jackal compared to those and how about the speed? River is faster than the Leo so the D for me is that the Leo is shorter and the River is only a few feet shorter than the SW. RR was my main driver for over a season but i did not test throw it last fall vs the Leo and the River so i'm not sure if about the relative distance of that for me now. I was surprised about the new SW on high hyzer flip lines. It's touchy but when it's right it's fiiine. So straight with less fade than the Opto River so it's maxing out the glide. I topped out at 129 meters with the SW and 127 with the River. Oddly enough the SW was easier to get beyond 120 m consistently despite the lack of HSS. The River needs power to push that far.

I'm not sure what i'd like from the Jackal to be honest. Leo and River are great as they are. SW ain't good in the wind so if there was an equally fast and long laser disc with lots more HSS i wouldn't mind. Beast fades more but otherwise fits the bill despite being slightly longer.

Latest posts