• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

money 21 said:
how would a fd compare to a trak?

I have a feeling that the Trak is probably best when thrown hard, and the FD is better when thrown smooth. I haven't thrown the Trak though...Does it actually have some glide?

Nope and it can't take gusty moderate headwinds. Moderate constant winds are borderline with the Trak. It can handle light headwinds. Trak also fades quite a bit so if the FD is straight at least they don't overlap. The Trak is short for a FW.

kern9787 said:
Whiz said:
I think with a flatter dome they would lose a lot of their glide. The glide is one of the only reasons I would pick up an FD.

This was my reasoning. I don't envision using the FD as a wind fighting disc, so I don't need a super sleek profile like I would want out of overstable wind fighting discs. I would want it domey, with tons of lift.

Exactly. The FD is understable already, so I dont know why you would want to throw it in the wind to begin with. The dome gives it great glide for sneaky long distances

Lighter blues are domey too. Not as bad as I thought it would be (blizzard discs or champ scorpions) probably tossing them tomorrow.

Thanks Booter for the Herodisc FD link, just ordered a couple S-FDs to replace the only DGR FD I lost last year.

I've been digging a new 173 CE-QJ I recently picked up. For me, the QJ turns a few feet and fades around 10-15' left of neutral on a low 275-300' flatish straight shot. On a 50-60' high anny to 275' it fades/flexes back a few feet left just before hitting the ground. Anyway, I just got another similar QJ but well seasoned. The beat in QJ thrown flat and low with similar power turns 20-30'+ right with maybe a touch of foward fade as if dies. Its going to be hard to replace that well seasoned hyzer flip smooth butter turnover goodness if I lose it. I recall my FD as having similar turn to my broken in QJ but with the good late fade of my new QJ. When these FDs come in my turnover JLS might move to the wall as I really liked that fade saving my late releases.

Sorry guys its been a while since I threw my S-FD, but does my recollection of the FD turn and fade sound right?

I threw my 170 and 175 c- fd today and quite to my surprise, they are no more stable than equivalent weight dgr star ones. They still have that nice slow high speed turn and crazy glide. My two are pretty domey and had no flash. I might just bag the heavy champ one because it flies just like my GDR one and is nice and gummy

FDs make me feel like Ken Climo. C-Line and S-Line seem to be about the same stability :( i was hoping C-Line would have a little extra HSS.

warobert said:
I threw my 170 and 175 c- fd today and quite to my surprise, they are no more stable than equivalent weight dgr star ones. They still have that nice slow high speed turn and crazy glide. My two are pretty domey and had no flash. I might just bag the heavy champ one because it flies just like my GDR one and is nice and gummy

You should trade me the 170 then :D

Why do you guys want the CFD to be more stable? Then it would just be like a Teebird or Champ TL. I think it should be workable, and that necessitates some high speed turn. And since it's a fairway driver that turn should be present at fairway distances. Now I'm a little bummed I'm too broke to grab a CFD because hearing they aren't more stable than the SFDs makes me really want one.

discspeed said:
Why do you guys want the CFD to be more stable? Then it would just be like a Teebird or Champ TL. I think it should be workable, and that necessitates some high speed turn. And since it's a fairway driver that turn should be present at fairway distances. Now I'm a little bummed I'm too broke to grab a CFD because hearing they aren't more stable than the SFDs makes me really want one.
Probably the same reason we like the PD in different plastics, can cover a variety of shots with the same mold in different plastics.

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
Probably the same reason we like the PD in different plastics, can cover a variety of shots with the same mold in different plastics.

Good point...I'm sure when the production run comes along there will be some HPL examples among the many.

The champs are like an Assassin that can take a nutting. I think this will be a special disc

I have thrown the Jackal many times by now, and in the C-Line it flies in between a TeeBird and a Leopard it's not faster than these disc's but has much more glide. I was surprised i had a little tailwind and threw the Teebird, the PD, the FD and the Blizzard Destroyer and the FD was getting the most distance (it had the best angle on it as well) but anyway it had a lot carry, it will hold the straight shot if thrown straight, with a little hyper it will fade in the end. The C-Line FD went straight into my bag, and will stay there right next to the Teebird, PD and Boss... The S-Line was a little under stable closer to the Leopard.

My test SFD is finally broken in enough to achieve perfection on the local tunnel hole. It's about 340', 10' across, with a 10' canopy, and a creek on the left and horrible palmetto rough on the right. I threw the FD flat and it went straight, turned just a slight bit, and came back. It passed right in front of the basket and ended just past the basket and to the left about 20' away. I still want it a little more seasoned so I can achieve the same flight from a slight hyzer release, but it's getting close.

I've now put the test FD through as many tests as I can thing of on my local courses and it has passed with flying colors. It seems to satisfy every complaint I've had with all the other fairway drivers. It comes out clean BH and FH, flies high and low well, curves very gradually, and is capable of frozen rope shots. It compliments my PD arsenal perfectly, assuming it will eventually break into an effortless and smooth turnover disc. The gap between my mids and PDs is effectively filled.

Just got my CFR's in the mail today, they look nice, unfortunately I already snuck in a round this morning. Might have to stop at the field for a few quick tosses on the way home to see how they compare to my dgr SFD's.

I had some sweet throws with my SFD's this morning... really liking how they compliment my PD's.

Latest posts