• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

Just got a couple throws in with mine in my back yard. The ground still has some snow and is pretty slick due to the rain. I couldnt help but to go outside and give it some tosses. Here is my review so far.

With minimal to no run up due to snow, I am liking it. With a little bit of hyzer, it would flip up and lock on to its line like a laser. Im sure that if the conditions are better it would have more turn to it. I was throwing it on line drives about 10' off the ground. Im impressed by it already and cant wait to try it out on the course in dry conditions with real teepads

Fightingthetide said:
discspeed said:
I'm using it mostly for technical shots in the woods, and these shots are holding their line with very little push/high speed turn with a gliding fade that starts to kick in about 3/4 of the way through the flight. These holes range from a little over 300' to about 340'. Past 340' I start to see high speed turn. I haven't worked with it enough at the next power level as it starts to overlap with my TD/PDs, but powered down it is a hell of a fairway driver.

I'm using Star Leopards for this shot, but at 250' to 325'. At 325', my Star Leo shows some turn, but still fades predictably. At 250'-300' it's pretty straight and holds the line it's put on. Does this pretty much describe a slower FD?

Yeah. FD is a faster, slightly more HSS/LSS Leopard. It is to the Leopard what the TD is to the Roadrunner.

I've been using my FD a lot (still on my orange TEST FD) and it is honest more stable than most others' descriptions. It only has a touch of turn on a 360' shot and surprisingly little fade. Thrown with about 10-15 degrees hyzer and it mimics a flat shot with a stable Star/champ TB exactly @ 360', though does it with a bit less effort. It's high speed turn is slow and altitude holding. The orange FDs are proving surprisingly durable...This is a blessing and a curse. I'd like one less stable so I could work it with hyzer, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to cycle them. If the run I have is any indication of how the FD is going to be it is a very solid workhorse fairway driver mold.

I wish I had one of the stable ones. The red champystar 175 FD in my bag is insanely understable. Even on a gentle flip hyzer I get some turn. If thrown with enough height it naturally comes back, but I am starting to think this is something I won't use as often as my champystar TD - which is definitely more HSS and LSS.

Discspeed, wanna trade :) ?

discspeed said:
Fightingthetide said:
discspeed said:
I'm using it mostly for technical shots in the woods, and these shots are holding their line with very little push/high speed turn with a gliding fade that starts to kick in about 3/4 of the way through the flight. These holes range from a little over 300' to about 340'. Past 340' I start to see high speed turn. I haven't worked with it enough at the next power level as it starts to overlap with my TD/PDs, but powered down it is a hell of a fairway driver.

I'm using Star Leopards for this shot, but at 250' to 325'. At 325', my Star Leo shows some turn, but still fades predictably. At 250'-300' it's pretty straight and holds the line it's put on. Does this pretty much describe a slower FD?

Yeah. FD is a faster, slightly more HSS/LSS Leopard. It is to the Leopard what the TD is to the Roadrunner.

I've been using my FD a lot (still on my orange TEST FD) and it is honest more stable than most others' descriptions. It only has a touch of turn on a 360' shot and surprisingly little fade. Thrown with about 10-15 degrees hyzer and it mimics a flat shot with a stable Star/champ TB exactly @ 360', though does it with a bit less effort. It's high speed turn is slow and altitude holding. The orange FDs are proving surprisingly durable...This is a blessing and a curse. I'd like one less stable so I could work it with hyzer, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to cycle them. If the run I have is any indication of how the FD is going to be it is a very solid workhorse fairway driver mold.

Nice review Discspeed.

I am loving my DGR FD. To me its like a longer mid. Havent had a real chance to throw it for distance. Im loving it in places where I would be pushing my cores ~300'. With such an easy throw they just go. Give it a little hyzer and it flips up flat and just glides for days. The guys I was playing with were amazed how nice it flew. Im definitely going to be stocking up on these when they come out.

Thanks Discmania for another Awesome driver

Discspeed, in all fairness, the tester I have is more stable than the DGR stamped ones I have.

Timko said:
Discspeed, in all fairness, the tester I have is more stable than the DGR stamped ones I have.

I need to throw my DGR ones some more...I've barely thrown them.

I threw Trey's test FD today and it was like a longer, faster Leopard. It turned pretty easy and had a consistent fade. Once these come into production, I might consider dropping Roadrunners and Leopards for the FD, assuming you can find them in a range of beefy to understable. (C-Line and P-line...Discmania, if you are reading this...)

Just came back from a little field outing with my orange DGR FD's. Towards the end the temperature was around -6 Fahrenheit and the ground was very slippery indeed, so every shot was more or less an unstable, low powered spray and pray. Despite that the FD flew totally effortlessly, hitting around 330' on semi-decent throws (meaning I didn't fall down). There was definitely a bit of OAT involved due to the footing and the fact that I haven't really thrown a disc for two months, but I saw a very nice and consistent small turn with a relatively small but reliable late fade. When I aired it out it flew on a beautiful s-curve. And the glide on this thing really is magnificent, makes throwing it super easy. Turso managed to get a good looking low line hyzerflip in, looked beautiful and carried well.

I need to go back when it's maybe a tad warmer and wear my spikes, might get some relevant testing data then. But yeah, the orange production S-FD's seem to be, at least in my case, a bit more on the understable side than discspeed's tester, which is not a bad thing. Really liking this disc, and come summer it's going to kick out my +mold C-TD. Will most likely be rolling with 2xFD, 2xTD and 3xPD for a while at least.

I think my FDs are going to officially boot my TD from the bag. I think the FD compliments the PD so perfectly that there just isn't room for the TD. It holds such slow and curvaceous lines compared to the angular turn and fade of the PD. I will keep my red champstar TDs on the shelf and they will remain one of my favorite molds I'm not carrying.

Timko said:

that would peak my interest more. I definitely will give the stock runs a good test. The tester just isn't meant for me

victorb said:
How do FDs compare to current run CDs and first run CDs?
Judging by what I saw when I first tested them (only a few throws in bad conditions) I'd say slower, less touchy, even more glidey, less fade, turn about same'ish. I'd need to really spank them to see what happens though. That's comparing to the new mold CD's, the first runs were almost like mini-PD's, so nothing like them.

zj1002 said:
Timko said:

that would peak my interest more. I definitely will give the stock runs a good test. The tester just isn't meant for me

My tester and my DGR FDs (all orange max weight) are pretty similar. The DGR ones are probably a tick less HSS than my tester was when new and the same in terms of LSS. The biggest difference is feel. My tester is softer/gummier than the others.

BTW, I predict the FD mold is going to show a lot of variation when they start doing some production runs based on what we've seen of the few that have been made so far.

Just aced #17 at Moraine state park with my 175 DGR FD!!!!

Hyzer flipped it over a small hill and couldnt even see it go in, but man could we hear it!!

Is this the first confirmed FD ace?

linkinparkervii said:
Booter said:
just got word that cfd's and sfd's will be available at the flymart at the menorial

Someone will have to pick me up some. I want a c for sure

I'll bet DGV will offer them as well...At least I hope. I definitely would like to throw a CFD.

Latest posts