• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania PD2 - CHAOS

I just got back from the field. I threw my 2 PD2s (175.5 champ, 173.8 P, same PLH, P a bit more domey), my GL and Opto Flows, a Z Nuke, a Pro Orc, and a Champ Xcal. All discs weighed 173-175. I was throwing mostly through crosswinds blowing 5-10mph, but it was really gusty so it was hard to make concrete comparisons. My yellow PD2 is kind of a gummy champ and has a nice dome. My P PD2 is a strange pro plastic. It's definitely got a heavy dose of R-Pro because you can see through it a little when you hold it up to a light, and I've never seen any clear straight pro plastic.

Brand new and in mild wind, my P seemed to fade a bit more than my C. The P however did get flipped a little more into a head/crosswind than the C. Both were a little less stable than my Champ Xcal, but they were also noticeably faster. Length-wise the PD2s were right there with my Flows. I did not see a noticeable distance difference between the P and C, but I only got about 10 throws with each. The PD2s were definitely longer than the Xcal. They had really great glide for a stable disc and reminded me of my Flows in this respect. They seemed to have to be really overpowered to flip and hold from a flat release, but I could see them pushing into cruise long before they would turn over.

Overall I again would compare the PD2 to a faster PD. It is halfway between an overstable star Destroyer and a Champ Xcal in stability and nose sensitivity. I will definitely be testing and posting more.

I'm pretty sure this disc is more or less exactly what I was looking for to pair with my Flows and be a step up from my stable PDs. I'm excited to see this disc come into production. I want an S-PD2, and I also want to throw one made of some stiffer champ plastic as gummy is almost always less stable in my experience. However, I love my gummy Champ and I think that overall it probably makes a more versatile disc than a stiff one would, but I'd just like one for really windy days. In normal conditions I don't have any need for anything more stable than these C-PDs.

I agree with you that it is right in between an xcal and destroyer. When Rick handed me his I told him it felt more like a destroyer. The p-pd2 will be hurricane-ish when it breaks in. It has the forward push of a pd with initial destroyer/xcal stability. I only threw them twice but I'll be buying some later today that should get some heavy work

Funny how discs that Jussi designs to fit his own needs are so well liked by everyone... =)

i assume these have the same rim width as the destroyer and xcal, even though there are minor differences in the pdga specs. if this is correct, how could they be faster than a destroyer, which has a sharper nose than the pd-type top. i know the dd2 is a hair slower than the katana. I believe the dd2 is a katana bottom with a pd top. is the pd2 a destroyer/xcal bottom with a pd top? if so, i would guess it to be a hair slower than the destroyer. thanks for the info, psyched to get some when they are available and see if they work better than my pro and champ destroyers.

steven said:
i assume these have the same rim width as the destroyer and xcal, even though there are minor differences in the pdga specs. if this is correct, how could they be faster than a destroyer, which has a sharper nose than the pd-type top. i know the dd2 is a hair slower than the katana. I believe the dd2 is a katana bottom with a pd top. is the pd2 a destroyer/xcal bottom with a pd top? if so, i would guess it to be a hair slower than the destroyer. thanks for the info, psyched to get some when they are available and see if they work better than my pro and champ destroyers.
Discmania discs aren't "just" *some Innova disc* bottom + the Anhyzer top. They do a lot of fine tweaking, for example with the rim width. The PD2 isn't even the first Discmania disc to have a wider version of an Innova bottom, the TD has a tweaked Roadrunner bottom, and it's definitely that small bit faster.

Any new news from our reviewers? I pulled out all the initial ones and sent them to Mark.

I took the flashing off of mine and my orange is still beefy. Not sure if mine just has a high plm but it's nice in the wind! The p though,wel that's gonna b a crusher...just patiently waiting to season it in. I took the flashing off of it and it still flies nice in the wind,only a little turn now but alwas flex's back. Me likey

Can someone who's thrown all of these discs give me a breakdown on how the PD2 compares? This is what I want to see:

rank the P-PD2, C-PD2, Force, X-Cal, Champ Boss, S-PD, in order for each of these categories:

speed, glide, hss, lss, power requirement, performance in headwind, nose angle sensitivity, distance potential, tendency to turn nose down in flight.

Fizzy said:
Can someone who's thrown all of these discs give me a breakdown on how the PD2 compares? This is what I want to see:

rank the P-PD2, C-PD2, Force, X-Cal, Champ Boss, S-PD, in order for each of these categories:

speed, glide, hss, lss, power requirement, performance in headwind, nose angle sensitivity, distance potential, tendency to turn nose down in flight.

you didnt say the magic word

I was hoping for more reviews from our more southern testers, but IDK how cold/snowy it is out. I don't really play in that kind of weather anymore :(.

it's actually gotten cold over here this week. Been in the 20's-30's. I did however play yesterday and was using the c and p in the wind some more. It was cold and winday as shit. As I've mentioned before I've deflashed mine and heres what I've gathered this time around.

cpd2 is still beefy. I was throwing it fh and bh and it never failed to come back after it got a little turn. It wold go straight /turn for about 300 then it would start to fade back in while still penetrating forward for the last 100 or so feet. The skip on this thing is still crazy. Seems like a good and bad thing if you can compensate for it. Even on high sweeping hyzers they got big skips.

I let my buddy,who is a fh player,throw these a few times and he fell in love. He does huge flex shots with overstable drivers like the boss and xcal but sometimes when he's throwing in a headwind,the extreme amount of anhyzer doesn't always let them come out of it. Every fh he threw always came out and BOMBED. I dnt know how many times during the round he tried to buy it off me haha. So needless to say the cpd2 is the headwind driver big guns have been waiting for.

the ppd2 however has gotten some time too when I want more turn. In the beginning before being deflashed,the ppd2 went straigter longer than the cpd2. Now the flight is still the same difference in the 2 plastics but the deflashed ppd2 is more workable. I would compare it easily ti the flight of my seasoned star xcal only longer. The plastic is surprisingly more durable than I thougt. It almost feels starish. I'm curious to see once it breaks in,how it will fly compared to my stable opto flow. The ppd2 has been working good for my fh drives that I've been working on.though sometimes if I putt too much torque on them I'll get more turn than I really wanted. They still handle headwinds fin until you get to the heavy headwinds where they get more turn than normal. Though I have yet to have it flip and never come back I can see it eventually getting to the point where it'll be a good hyzer flipping disc.

both discs are titties and feel great. Especially the champ pd2. I had my friend do a few thumbers with it and it was flipping fast when it would almost barrel roll.

more tests to come when weather warms up more and the heavy winter winds kick up

Dude I want to throw those again. The only bad thing about the disc is that odd skip it takes. I say odd because it is a different skip than other wide rim drivers take

I haven't gotten as much time with it as I have wanted.

That said, mine initial obsevations are still the same. The P is a bomer and the C is a very good choice for the wind with reliability. I did get some 380-400 foot throws that resenble a teebird flight into a 20 or so mph wind with the Ps. The Cs remind me of a Force with a notch more speed and the Ps renimd me of the X Force, which is a kick ass thing btw.

zj1002 said:
Dude I want to throw those again. The only bad thing about the disc is that odd skip it takes. I say odd because it is a different skip than other wide rim drivers take

Different skip? How so?

21j3tpj.jpg

I really dislike the "hair" in the back. Would've worked better with just the skull.