• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Will Aubrey

Birdie Member
Here is a review I wrote of the Discmania Turning Driver. Please let me know what you think and whether you agree with my conclusions.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-paducah/review-discmania-s-td-turning-driver

I've tried 4 TDs, and other than one stiff 171 S-TD, they've been pretty much like you described. Not much turn, at least at first, will hold an anhyzer for ages, very good glide. My max weight C-TD and my friend's brand new high 160s S-TD are pretty identical, reliable, controllable turn. My gummy champystar max weight S-TD is beaten in and turns more, fades even less and is my favorite hyzerflipper. Terrific disc.

The stiff 171 S-TD is another disc altogether. Very high PLH compared to the others, very little turn, starts to fade very soon but the angle doesn't really steepen, meaning it'll glide a very long way to the left (RHBH). Very much like a high PLH Opto Vision. Don't really know what to do with this one, so I don't do anything with it.

What are the differences and similarities to Roadrunners now that people have had more time with the TDs and possibly broken them in? How much did the TDs change and how fast?

JR said:
What are the differences and similarities to Roadrunners now that people have had more time with the TDs and possibly broken them in? How much did the TDs change and how fast?
I beat my red one in by throwing it against a concrete wall 30 odd times and then throwing sliders around in a tunnel for half an hour. It did turn more understable but honestly not that much. Seems to me they don't really break in that fast/much.

yea I've beat mine for a bit and it still will come out of a huge anny BUT it will take a nice predictable turn with some good snap. Mines nice but I need to beat it in a bit more for the sweet spot

They are pretty similar. But I guess that makes sense, just kind of verifies that we are both on the right track LOL. What do you think of my comparison of the TD to the Avenger?

we demo'd the S's. found it was a more stable roadrunner but i thought its glide was pretty poor (similar to an avenger ss but maybe a touch more hss). could also probably compare it to a slightly shorter beast that requires more power or an EL that requires a lot more power to fly about the same distance. here's the odd thing though... we found it required a lot of speed to get it complete an s-curve but at the same time it flew straight (albeit not super far) with hardly any power.

like... on a 250' throw it was a HSS 0 LSS +2. it took like 340'+ power to get it to really start turning more than a -1 HSS. at 460'+ power it started going -2/-2.5 HSS w/ +1 LSS. but 460' of power only translated into 420-430' with the S-TD.

if my guess is correct it's just a roadrunner bottom w/ the PD/DD/CD top.

the thing i liked best about it was when it came in i put it in a nutsac bag and had some fun 3rd grade humor.

Roadrunner wing, anhyzer top, 1mm wider wing than the RoadRunner.

Will Aubrey said:
They are pretty similar. But I guess that makes sense, just kind of verifies that we are both on the right track LOL. What do you think of my comparison of the TD to the Avenger?

Most Avengers I've thrown have been more overstable than the TD and a little shorter, but all in all I'd agree that the TD flies closer to the Avenger than the Roadrunner. Speaking of Avengers, the TD actually reminds me a little of the Crystal Z Avenger SS I had for a short time.

Beat the S-TD in some more. They just keep getting better. Well, mine does.

I put a new one of these in my bag for the understable fairway slot. I haven't thrown it yet, but it doesn't sound like it would be a suitable replacement for my champion leopard. I was looking for something that will fly a little farther and not turn so drastically when thrown harder, but not something that sounds like a straight or stable flyer at high speeds :mrgreen:

victorb said:
I put a new one of these in my bag for the understable fairway slot. I haven't thrown it yet, but it doesn't sound like it would be a suitable replacement for my champion leopard. I was looking for something that will fly a little farther and not turn so drastically when thrown harder, but not something that sounds like a straight or stable flyer at high speeds :mrgreen:
Unless the one you got is much more understable it is not a good replacement for a Leo. Best Leo replacement I've found so far is a River.

agreed ,^

my td wasn't super flippy when I got it,it had some turn and flew like a leo to me but then I tuned it and beat it so it flips easier now. The river should be what ur looking for brandon.

I ended up giving mine to my oldestg kid (7 YO) and he's had some good rips with it. Maybe I'll check it out again after it gets nice and worn in.

Threw my new S Rush tonight - Red 175 - and it definitely turned the way I hoped it would. I underestimated the amount of turn it had a few times, but threw a couple of massive turnover drives with it, I think it flies very nice for an understable driver. Probably will find a spot in the bag.

I've got a buddy that pretty much only throws Champ Roadrunners off the tee, sidearm for huge S-curves. I've thought about giving him one of these so it would be RR like but with hopefully less left-to-right play. What say you, DGR masses?

yes. I threw rr for a long time,then switched to the td and havnt looked back. It's nice when new and very nice when beat. To me it's a longer slightly faster rr.

The gummy ones are somewhat more understable, closer to the RR. The stiff ones can be very stable indeed, not anything like an RR. Keep this in mind.