• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Thread (Part II)

I bag the knight stamp CG FD3s that start a little less stable then the Innova made C-Line versions. I only have 1 backup left and would like to find a good replacement that isn't reseller priced if I can. I had a bag full of Innova made Discmania and tried most of the in house stuff but don't care for most of their inhouse/ HOD reproductions. I tried the MF FD3s when they dropped and they are ok but not the same. The only thing that has stuck around is the MD1.

I thought the Scepter might be the FD3 because of the way the profile looks. Judging by what Infinite is showing on their site for profiles I wouldn't really call them truly flat. Profile mostly looks very similar to my Innova made C Line FD3s. Might try one of the lighter swirly star Scepters and see how they work.
So I know you're looking for a direct backup, but I'd give the Discraft Raptor and Lone Star Spur a try/feel if you can, although a Sexton FB is probably the closest you'll get, barring a remake of the OG FD3 mold. I suppose a beefy Roman might work (reborn PD), but that might be too long for what you want.

MD4 is back and available in C line metal flake.

I've been reading that the MD4 has lots of glide, more stable than the Method, but not as stable as the MD5. I throw the c-line MD3, an S-line MD5 that's mellower fade than the MF MD5 that's super stable. I recently tried an EXO Hard Tactic that is a really nice disc. It beats in to a fip up, but still fade out midrange. I can throw it as far as the MD5. I'm going to pass on the MD4 slot.

Last edited:
MD4 is back and available in C line metal flake.
I just saw some in a local PIAS. They look and feel great. Reminded me of the Metal Flake Roc3, which I loved throwing. The thought was there to pick one up, but I'm good on my mids at this time.

I've been reading that the MD4 has lots of glide, more stable than the Method, but not as stable as the MD5. I throw the c-line MD3, an S-line MD5 that's mellower fade than the MF MD5 that's super stable. I recently tried an EXO Hard Tactic that is a really nice disc. It beats in to a fip up, but still fade out midrange. I can throw it as far as the MD5. I'm going to pass on the MD4 slot.
I grabbed a couple of MD4s to compare with the Method (I have a couple of Luxes and C-Lines). I want something in between the MD3 and MD5. The Method is really good but can be a bit straighter than I want on a hard rip. I want less overlap between the three slots, but that might be an unfair expectation on my part; we'll see. I'm not going to be able to throw them (well, anyway) for a couple of months while I rehab my broken ankle, though

The new MD4 seems to have a little more shoulder on the top than what the original one did. Might explain the glide you're noticing. I have yet to throw mine.

Got to see the "SC-exclusive" vid this morning on product announcements

Active line is discontinued

Evolution line will be scaled back and focused on beginners

Some Evolution molds (e.g. Tactic and Splice) will come over as an Originals mold next year

There will also be a premier line with Originals molds leveraging "technological innovations." (I'm guessing this is some of the Project Grip stuff Latitude is working on and maybe some overmold-type stuff)

Mutant will be discontinued as will the Instinct (maybe, anyway, might come back as FD1; current FD1 moving to FD2). Method might be discontinued, too, but could potentially be an MD3x. Enigma might come back as a DD2. Paradigm, Origin, Function, Link, Essence, and Notion will remain in the Evolution lineup

Last edited:

I'm guessing this is the same video, kinda interesting but makes sense to consolidate to just the 1 manufacturing location. Active line discs haven't moved on shelves for a long time around me.

Link, Tactic, Instinct, Essence, Enigma are most used around here from Evo line. Paradigm and Enigma seemed to have a lot of overlap anyway.

I'm guessing this is the same video, kinda interesting but makes sense to consolidate to just the 1 manufacturing location. Active line discs haven't moved on shelves for a long time around me.

Link, Tactic, Instinct, Essence, Enigma are most used around here from Evo line. Paradigm and Enigma seemed to have a lot of overlap anyway.

That's the one. Tried to link it earlier, but it was coming up as private on YT.

Way better to watch to watch the vid than read my meandering post

Discmania branding/lineup is just a mess imo. I have actually no idea what someone is throwing when they tell me they got a lone howl II as those lines dont even mean it is the same disc anymore for all of the numbers and now they put their evolution stuff into the originals line while still keeping some stuff in the evolution line without any indication in the name that it is for beginners.

Discmania branding/lineup is just a mess imo. I have actually no idea what someone is throwing when they tell me they got a lone howl II as those lines dont even mean it is the same disc anymore for all of the numbers and now they put their evolution stuff into the originals line while still keeping some stuff in the evolution line without any indication in the name that it is for beginners.
Very true on the signature series stuff. I just refer to the Zeta's Moons I throw as CD1s; easier that way

On the Evolution molds transitioning to Originals, they did mention the video that they would change the names of the molds to align with the convention. So the Tactic would become the P4, for example

Here's a write up with all the lineup changes and specifics: Behind The Shield: Reinventing Our Game
This list makes it a lot clearer than the way he talks about it in the video. In the video it sounds like they are just gonna push around some discs, then make a new beginners line branded as Evolution. I still think it is confusing. When I talk to DM players, of which there are a lot of in my area (maybe because Simon used to play here), they dont really know if it is an MD or an MD1 they are throwing, or if there is an FD2, if the FD1 is an FD and so on. Well, I dont know either tbh :D Them pushing numbers around doesnt help that and if they want to expand their professional originals line, they are gonna wind up with some weird Prodigy names where all kinds of letters are inserted into the names, making it all the more confusing. In theory I like the approach of the full line up of discs that are separated by numbers, in practice brands need to pump out new molds periodically to keep selling some hyped stuff. And this practical constraint doesnt play well with the numbered approach.

I do sort of wonder about this since they already have several competing to overlapping ideas about naming discs.
You won't hear of the Jackal any more. But, that's the FD.
Very true on the signature series stuff. I just refer to the Zeta's Moons I throw as CD1s; easier that way

On the Evolution molds transitioning to Originals, they did mention the video that they would change the names of the molds to align with the convention. So the Tactic would become the P4, for example
I also really love that they are taking a known name with currency and burying it under a bland distinction of putter number four.

I do sort of wonder about this since they already have several competing to overlapping ideas about naming discs.
You won't hear of the Jackal any more. But, that's the FD.

I also really love that they are taking a known name with currency and burying it under a bland distinction of putter number four.
Luke-warm take coming through...

The Originals naming convention is one of the appeals of DM to me. I really hated the Jackal/Psycho/Gremlin era. DM always seemed to have a more "professional" air about it. For one, all those Psycho/Jackal names were corny, IMO. The "XXn(x)" naming convention is very self-descriptive and it's fairly easy to tell what the characteristics of the disc are and where it sits in the lineup. Destroyer, Nuke, Pixel, etc. might be "fun," but they're completely context-less and have no inherent meaning

Luke-warm take coming through...

The Originals naming convention is one of the appeals of DM to me. I really hated the Jackal/Psycho/Gremlin era. DM always seemed to have a more "professional" air about it. For one, all those Psycho/Jackal names were corny, IMO. The "XXn(x)" naming convention is very self-descriptive and it's fairly easy to tell what the characteristics of the disc are and where it sits in the lineup. Destroyer, Nuke, Pixel, etc. might be "fun," but they're completely context-less and have no inherent meaning
I'm over on this side of the discmania shield these days. They're harder to find. I don't care for their newer plastic as much. The available weights when they do tend to be available all lean towards way too heavy, and do nothing to reinvent anything I am already doing with the discs that have more fun names and I can find in weights I can actually utilize. Such as the JAY.
Their older names from the Innova manufactured days were definitely corny. The ones from their now discontinued Active line went and stepped above that.

I'm over on this side of the discmania shield these days. They're harder to find. I don't care for their newer plastic as much. The available weights when they do tend to be available all lean towards way too heavy, and do nothing to reinvent anything I am already doing with the discs that have more fun names and I can find in weights I can actually utilize. Such as the JAY.
Their older names from the Innova manufactured days were definitely corny. The ones from their now discontinued Active line went and stepped above that.
Define "way too heavy". I prefer drivers 168g to 170g but I learned to deal with the fact that the manufacturers want to please the masses. Most folks like max weight discs and it probably adds costs to production running various weights.

If you want lighter weights, learn to love MVP.

Define "way too heavy". I prefer drivers 168g to 170g but I learned to deal with the fact that the manufacturers want to please the masses. Most folks like max weight discs and it probably adds costs to production running various weights.

If you want lighter weights, learn to love MVP.
No. I'm just not accepting that sort of lame excuse of pleasing the masses when they aren't even really educated about disc weights in the first place. Manufacturers have a job to provide what their customers actually want. For drivers. Max weight is useless for a GOOD many players and isn't even accurate for whatever the disc flight numbers propose. No wonder disc flight numbers are useless when max weight discs are presumed to be the gold standard.

No. I'm just not accepting that sort of lame excuse of pleasing the masses when they aren't even really educated about disc weights in the first place. Manufacturers have a job to provide what their customers actually want. For drivers. Max weight is useless for a GOOD many players and isn't even accurate for whatever the disc flight numbers propose. No wonder disc flight numbers are useless when max weight discs are presumed to be the gold standard.
Alrighty then, is there a particular manufacturer currently running discs in your preferred weights on a consistent basis?

Latest posts