• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania

UD for Unstable Driver <insert googly eyed thematic unstable person stamp>

so...

S UD - goes south rapidly if you overpower it
C UD - chew this one...popular in WI
P UD - pull it
D UD - probably better to avoid this one

Darn, I was hoping that they'd release the first run S-TD without the "Discs of The Dead" logos, but they've already decided on a name for it (Rush) that's probably not going to happen. =(

EDIT: A drop of acetone, remove one letter, a little bit of ink... Voilà, STD Rash.

whens the release of the rush? Is this the one that people were saying it was to be between a katana and nuke? I love the pds and I'm gonna give the cd a shot so I'll def be giving the rush a shot as well

booter said:
whens the release of the rush? Is this the one that people were saying it was to be between a katana and nuke? I love the pds and I'm gonna give the cd a shot so I'll def be giving the rush a shot as well
No exact date yet, but it'll be "available in April". It's not the Katana'ish driver, this one is just straight up understable. No flight ratings posted yet so don't know if it's something like a Roadrunner or milder than that, but we'll see.

If it is truly understable it'll finally kick that Sidewinder out of my bag that's ruining the look. =)

jubuttib said:
... they've already decided on a name for it (Rush) ...

"The meek shall inherit the world". Or "Driven". It may take a while to throw one 2112. If they do "Countdown" is appropriate :)

Aaaaaaaand Dave Dunipace said on PDGA that the P2 is also coming out in R-Pro eventually. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY, HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

I already asked Discmania about this, I wonder when they'll get tired of me constantly asking about discs they've yet to reveal anywhere except as responses to my posts on Facebook... =)

Did anyone try P1 Maniac Performance line?

I have one myself at 170 and it's soft and gummy with beadless.

It sucked ass when I used it but then when it finally got broken become magic putter. It's so easy to spin and gets in basket nicely. P1 is the Maniac who loves to eat the chains. Perfect for beginners but basket on hill is not advised.

lovetoDG said:
PManiac is the P1 who loves to eat the chains. Perfect for beginners but basket on hill is not advised.
Fixed. It's my favorite putter, I feel really comfortable throwing it and it sticks to the chains very nicely. The durability also surprised me, I thought it'd rip to shreds instantly if I used it for anything other than putting, but it's much tougher than D-Line P1s.

Too bad mine is in the snow, I'll have to wait about a month before I can get it back.

jubuttib said:
Aaaaaaaand Dave Dunipace said on PDGA that the P2 is also coming out in R-Pro eventually. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY, HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

I already asked Discmania about this, I wonder when they'll get tired of me constantly asking about discs they've yet to reveal anywhere except as responses to my posts on Facebook... =)

Can you bother them to get P1 made in R-Pro???

lovetoDG said:
jubuttib said:

Can you bother them to get P1 made in R-Pro???

P1 IS made in R-Pro. We just got them in at CDGS yesterday. They are the PManiacs.

^^ What he said. Apparently they've been having trouble getting the P2 to feel good in the stiffer P-plastic, so they've decided to make it in R-Pro also.

Even though I'm still using the 1st run, the CD is a great disc. I almost aced today on a hyzer line through the woods. Before it stopped, I heard it hit something. At first I thought I hit a tree, but we came to the conclusion that I hit the basket since there were no other objects around it that could have caused it to land in front of the basket.

I've gotten more excited about trying the standard since everyone else says it's better than the first, and I really like the first run.

sunspot said:
Even though I'm still using the 1st run, the CD is a great disc. I almost aced today on a hyzer line through the woods. Before it stopped, I heard it hit something. At first I thought I hit a tree, but we came to the conclusion that I hit the basket since there were no other objects around it that could have caused it to land in front of the basket.

I've gotten more excited about trying the standard since everyone else says it's better than the first, and I really like the first run.
They're completely different at least. My 1st run S and D CD are much more overstable than my P Craze or my friend's S Craze. In the past I've said that the 1st run S-CD was completely straight all the time. Must have been a weird day for me but now I can't get it to do much other than go straight, then left. It kinda feels like a slower PD with a smaller and later hook. As hard for me to turn over as my S-PDs. Still a very nice disc and holds hyzer lines beautifully. The P-Craze is more of a straight-straight or slight turnover-straight disc for me now, my friend's S-Craze is definitely understable, I could replace my Sidewinder with it. Must have been a freak one though.

The P-Craze is more of a straight-straight or slight turnover-straight disc for me now, my friend's S-Craze is definitely understable, I could replace my Sidewinder with it. Must have been a freak one though.
Anybody else think the S-Craze is understable? I'm hoping you got a freak one.

My S Craze is kinda understable. I would call it more nose angle sensitive than under stable though. It's been a tricky disc for me to figure out so far.

sunspot said:
If the 1st run was similar to a Viking with more glide , then what does the standard run represent? A Valkyrie?

It is definitely closer to a Valk than a Vike. I will say that what I like about it is that I can manipulate its flight quite easily by adjusting the nose angle on release.

That's what I thought. That kind of annoys me. I like the fact that the Vike is little more stable than the Valk. My thinking is, "If I wanted a Valk, I would get one". The Vike, however, has suffered from inconsistencies and I was looking forward to a more consistent run through a different company. Even if the new mold went through some tweaks at least it would bear resemblance to a more stable Valk. Judging from some the comments, that's not the case. All well.

Maybe I'll have to suck it up and get a PD and beat it into the role of the CD (may take a while). My biggest concern on the PD is the amount of fade. I want a driver that's not going to fade out hard when I don't need it to. I know the Christmas Stamp is different than the standard run, but I was put off with the amount of fade that was on that joker. Maybe I need to get DGR stamp PD. :D

I've got a P PD beat in pretty well now and it has very little fade now. It is actually my favorite PD.

Can a Predator/XXX/Firebird fill the role of a PD?

Currently, I have two (or one depending on the mold) spots in my bag open and I'm trying to figure out what to put in there. I've made mention of this in the PD thread, but I'm either sticking with the CD and an overstable slot (Pred, Firebird, XXX currently the Firechicken) or go the PD route and keep my RoadRunner in play for anhyzer duties.

Imo, throwing around 350 makes the CD a better option (even the new run). It's more forgiving, has less fade, better at angles when new. However, a lot of people love the PD. Better wind resistance, reliable fade. I think that the PD really would work for someone who throws beyond 330-350 while the CD is for those that throw in my range. That's why I'm hesitant to jump on the PD wagon. Most of the guys who throw them are around the 400 mark.

Maybe I just need to go to bed.