• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

In an attempt to reach a 410' hole today I point blanked a Nuke on the first tree. When I picked up the disc it looked totaled. The wing was completely bent down in the spot of impact. I was pretty mad, swearing off Nukes, thinking of Champion Katanas and Bosses. I messed with the disc and got it bent back into shape somewhat (you could still see where it hit). A couple holes later I had to throw a 400'+ low ceiling shot and I decided to see how flippy the Nuke was going to be. To my surprise the disc didn't even flip from hyzer, but still sailed low and far and ended up pin high 60' to the left. I decided I stick it out with the Nuke. It is the longest disc I've thrown by some margin. I don't know if I would be into them if I had to pay for them though...Let's hope Discraft can work this out and make them more durable without sacrificing anything about the flight. You shouldn't have to pay $16-$18 for something that wears closer to X/Pro than it does to ESP/Star.

JHern said:
discspeed said:
I admit that the durability of the Nuke leaves much to be desired, especially compared to Champion plastic Katanas/Bosses, but the disc has earned its place in my bag with pure performance. I get better forehand and backhand distance with it in a more controlled manner than anything else out there...and it is more durable than Pro plastic. Bottom line is I can rip the shit out of the Nuke.
Better than a Halo?
The question is still hanging...

JHern said:
JHern said:
discspeed said:
I admit that the durability of the Nuke leaves much to be desired, especially compared to Champion plastic Katanas/Bosses, but the disc has earned its place in my bag with pure performance. I get better forehand and backhand distance with it in a more controlled manner than anything else out there...and it is more durable than Pro plastic. Bottom line is I can rip the shit out of the Nuke.
Better than a Halo?

This is probably going to come down to personal preference. It seems that whoever has a particular one dialed in, they are describing it pretty much as the same as someone who has the other one dialed in. I have not seen too much love from people who REALLY like both. They do feel different in the hands and that could be where the whole preference thing comes in.

I can get better rips out of the Halo, and thus that is why it is in my bag over the Nuke, but I am always a little nervous because of its ever so slight slanted inner rim. Once in an every great while it slips out and early and with a ton of hyzer. The Nuke feels a million times better in the hand, at least grip-wise. After beating and scuffing in my Nukes a little, they have really come around.

I am sticking with the Halo but it is becoming harder and harder to truly recommend one over the other.

JHern said:
JHern said:
discspeed said:
Better than a Halo?

The Nuke and Halo each have their advantages, and since most of us like to only carry one super fast driver, it comes down to how it fits in your bag.

Halo: Predictable stability, better plastic, less nose angle sensitivity, better in wind, but hard for me to get past 420' consistently, and requires me to throw it pretty darn hard

Nuke: Faster with more glide, more of a max D flight line, less predictable, poor durability, more nose angle sensitive, when I get it right it goes very far, but it requires more precision, however it always goes at least as far as an average Halo drive.

If you asked which disc I would want to use as my only driver I would definitely choose the Halo. However, since I can push my PDs to 400' and they are more predictable than any super fast driver, I choose the Nuke for my bag based on its dynamic flight. It can get me some bonus birdies and make unreachable holes easier to get par on. I can throw fairly controlled shots up to 450' with the Nuke, where the Halo maxes out at about 420' for me unless I push my controlled power limits.

smarkquart said:
I can get better rips out of the Halo, and thus that is why it is in my bag over the Nuke, but I am always a little nervous because of its ever so slight slanted inner rim...

Ah yes, the sloping inner rim, common to Latitude 64 discs. I hate that feeling in the rim, I took the Striker out of my bag for that same reason. Love the way their discs fly, just wish they were better made for the hands.

discspeed said:
Halo: Predictable stability, better plastic, less nose angle sensitivity, better in wind, but hard for me to get past 420' consistently, and requires me to throw it pretty darn hard

Nuke: Faster with more glide, more of a max D flight line, less predictable, poor durability, more nose angle sensitive, when I get it right it goes very far, but it requires more precision, however it always goes at least as far as an average Halo drive.

If you asked which disc I would want to use as my only driver I would definitely choose the Halo. However, since I can push my PDs to 400' and they are more predictable than any super fast driver, I choose the Nuke for my bag based on its dynamic flight. It can get me some bonus birdies and make unreachable holes easier to get par on. I can throw fairly controlled shots up to 450' with the Nuke, where the Halo maxes out at about 420' for me unless I push my controlled power limits.

Cool. Looks like I would personally enjoy the Nuke quite a lot. I suppose I'll be picking up one of them soon.

Hey guys/gals. I just picked up a couple of nukes off of ebay yesterday. I had read that they were good forehand discs. I've already seen one post on here against that. Anybody else have an opinion on that? I would throw backhand if i could, but I lack SO much power when I do.

I've only thrown one FR blue 172 nuke and it sucked FH even when new. Real flippy. I can usually get mine out to 350 or so pretty accurately with wraiths, preds, destroyers, QOLFs. I don't have the best FH form but it isn't an issue with most other drivers.

cboy40 said:
Hey guys/gals. I just picked up a couple of nukes off of ebay yesterday. I had read that they were good forehand discs. I've already seen one post on here against that. Anybody else have an opinion on that? I would throw backhand if i could, but I lack SO much power when I do.

The Nuke is amazing. I have been throwing a first run for the past month. It is red and 169grams. I drive predominately forehand and the Nuke is the most amazing driver I have ever thrown. I am reaching baskets I never have before and blowing past them.

I am surprised to hear players are having issues with durability. The Nuke I have been throwing has not changed flight patterns at all. I have thrown it so often the hotstamp is showing wear but the disc has not changed. It seems no different than any candy blend disc (ESP) is in terms of durability to me. ESP will scuff or gouge but not change flight characteristics for a long time.

discspeed said:
I decided to see how flippy the Nuke was going to be. To my surprise the disc didn't even flip from hyzer
discspeed said:
You shouldn't have to pay $16-$18 for something that wears closer to X/Pro than it does to ESP/Star.

So, it isn't durable but it didn't change?

NoLifeLeft said:
discspeed said:
I decided to see how flippy the Nuke was going to be. To my surprise the disc didn't even flip from hyzer
discspeed said:
You shouldn't have to pay $16-$18 for something that wears closer to X/Pro than it does to ESP/Star.

So, it isn't durable but it didn't change?

What we're talking about here has 2 different components. #1 is how much a plastic shows wear. #2 is how much that wear affects flight. If you look back a page or two I posted about how one of my Nukes hit the ground after flying 400' and had a HUGE gouge taken out of it. Were talking about a gash that went over halfway through the wing and left a large piece of plastic cleft and hanging (even curling up on the end). That disc was totaled...It was no longer able to fly stable, and would require a knife cutting away GRAMS of plastic to smooth out. I've never seen anything like this happen since I've started playing besides a Pro Boss that hit the edge of a metal sign 40' off the tee. Couple this with the other hit I had...The edge of the wing was bent down past the bottom of the disc. No other ESP disc I've ever thrown has shown wear like this, including all the ESP Forces I threw for like a year. The Nuke plastic has an agent added to spread out the mass of the plastic into a greater volume. This agent compromises the durability of the plastic OBVIOUSLY.

It is a testament to the AWESOMENESS of the Nuke mold that stuff like this did not greatly affect flight. I do find that quite unbelievable. Discraft has many molds including Buzzzes and Stalkers that can show a great deal of wear in the plastic while not having drastically altered flights. However, some discs, like the Flash, do get really flippy with obvious wear.

cboy40 said:

I throw a bit of side arm here and there. I disagree with those that say this is not a good forehand disc. If you want a bomber of a forehand disc, this one is a legit contender. I saw Big Jerm throwing these things sidearm down at the Kan-U-Wyco tourney during warms ups and he was crushing these things.

Mark Ellis said:
The Nuke is amazing. I have been throwing a first run for the past month. It is red and 169grams. I drive predominately forehand and the Nuke is the most amazing driver I have ever thrown. I am reaching baskets I never have before and blowing past them.

I am surprised to hear players are having issues with durability. The Nuke I have been throwing has not changed flight patterns at all. I have thrown it so often the hotstamp is showing wear but the disc has not changed. It seems no different than any candy blend disc (ESP) is in terms of durability to me. ESP will scuff or gouge but not change flight characteristics for a long time.

I agree 100% that the Nuke is an amazing disc. I too love to throw it forehand...while I'm getting awesome long backhand drives with it, the improvement in my controlled forehand distance is more significant. I've been throwing forehand hyzers on holes I used to have to throw a backhand anny shot out over water to birdie with great success. Its great to be able to throw a flat/hyzer forehand shot rather than a tough anny backhand shot, and the Nuke has given me this on many holes. I have a very compact and smooth forehand, but I don't torque it that much. Other more stable distance drivers have not helped me that much, but for some reason I can crush the Nuke without having to try and throw it hard.

Keep throwing it Mark, and sooner or later you will see some of the durability issues I've spoke of. Hopefully Discraft will improve on this with subsequent runs without altering the awesome flight and glide. Even if they don't, I still am hooked on the Nuke the way it is.

I'm looking forward to trying it when it gets here. I tried throwing my Buzzz supercolor forehand a few times with no success. i looked at the only pic i could find of the bottom of the nuke, and it looks a lot like my flick with a little more thickness. any other suggestions on a max D driver that has a bottom ridge like the flick or nuke?

I am still liking the NUKE a lot. I birdied a 457 foot hole today and was 10 feet left of the basket. I still have the same 3 I have had that I tuned and have not had any plastic issues. I do only throw them on relatively wide open holes though.

The Nuke got me a birdie I've never gotten today on my local course. It's a 460-480 low ceiling anhyzer line. I never felt like I couldn't get it there before, but I never did until I threw the Nuke!

I almost threw my Nuke into the lake at Prairie Center in Olathe, KS this weekend (Hole #15). About 420' to the hole, and I was 25' past the basket (and about 3' from the lake).

I always needed to either mash something straight or throw a flex to break 400'. While it's not like I'm throwing 400' on demand now, I can throw a lot closer to 400' consistently.

Latest posts