• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

black udder said:
I got a 173g ESP Nuke from a tourney this past weekend. Threw it into a headwind and it flipped really hard - stayed up, but that's because I had too much nose up. I threw a couple forces and a destroyer and none of them flipped like the Nuke. At my power level, I would not have expected it to turn - especially at 173g.
Yeah, the problem may be that you're throwing a destroyer. I have the same issue throwing this back to back with a boss. the boss and destroyer are pretty hard to impart any high speed turn to, and the nuke doesn't have anywhere near the HSS of those discs, so the issue may be making a destroyer throw with a nuke, not so much the nuke

I'm throwing a Star Boss and FR Nuke as a comparison.

I took my FR Nuke into a field today and I was consistently throwing it about 50'-60' further than my Avengers. In a headwind the Nuke is next to useless. In calm conditions this thing was flying about 15' short of my Pro Katana, but with far more controllable and I managed to get it where I wanted. So far I am really liking it.

so threw a second run 170g Nuke and I think its a really nice speciality disc. I tried a couple of different hyzer(flip) lines and I only got it to do one really well. Its a finesse distance disc, meaning I just try to throw it on a low line with a hyzerflip, and try not to hit it too hard. I guess squirrely comes to mind. But for all-out distance low-line drive they are perfect. Had a couple at 450-475

Im just hoping they wont break in too fast.

I have thrown a nuke a couple times during the past few rounds. Both times longest shots I have ever had on the holes. One had a lucky air bounce but the other was just flat and further than I can get my teebirds. This is going be a fun disc to play around with.

rehder said:

Good luck with that. Try not to hit anything at any point in the flight (even the ground).

discspeed said:
rehder said:

Good luck with that. Try not to hit anything at any point in the flight (even the ground).

I've noticed that the specific blend of Esp plastic the FR Nukes were run in are not very resistant at all. How do the 2nd runs hold out? *Prays for some Z Nukes!*

KJDog19 said:
discspeed said:
rehder said:

I've noticed that the specific blend of Esp plastic the FR Nukes were run in are not very resistant at all. How do the 2nd runs hold out? *Prays for some Z Nukes!*

The 2nd runs I had were softer than the FR Nukes I was throwing. Thrown twenty times it had whirl shaped abrasions all around the top of the disc made by my thumb when I ripped it. These show up faintly on all my drivers, but the Nuke looked like some machine had been taken to it. It also showed a slight bend from a tree hit about 350' down the fairway.

I must've gotten lucky with my yellow FR Nuke. I've hit trees, asphalt, rubble, dirt roads etc. with it and some of the landings have been pretty overhand like (wonderful spikehyzers due to slippery ground) and it's barely lost it's shine, no real scratches or anything. =/

I got mine without first run stamp from the same store as jubuttib and no durability concerns as of yet for me. There might be differences in Nukes.

I cannot keep my two yellow ones clean. Dirt and grass stains are almost like dye. I am unsure where I rate its durability. I had one pierced through the flight plate by a twig but I was able to bend the hole back into shape and it has not affected its flight in the least. I have several incredibly minor dings and gouges on the rim, but nothing that bothers my grip anywhere I hold it. They look like they have been tossed for years and or been through a war but as much as I thought the durability sucks, they have held up incredibly well compared to some of the catastrophic damage I have seen other discs take. To top it off, nothing has seemed to change their flight characteristics yet. They fly almost the same as the day I bought them, which is great because once I learned what they were capable of, how I should release them, they have become by far the furthest thing I can throw consistently no matter what the wind conditions (except maybe a direct headwind).

This may be a little far fetched, but I just noticed the last 3 posts made where the Nuke is holding up well are from northern climes. Is it possible that the discs are just a bit stiffer at 40-60 degrees than 80-90, thus helping the durability? I didn't really complain about the durability until I had messed up 4 discs in less than a month. All were different colors and one was a different run. We've had complaints at the store as well.

You might be onto something Mike. My Nukes have held up well up north in Indiana. But I have noticed that a few of my discs even feel slightly different in the hand when I'm down in Florida. Not sure if it is just warmer temps or if humidity is factoring in as well.

discspeed said:
This may be a little far fetched, but I just noticed the last 3 posts made where the Nuke is holding up well are from northern climes. Is it possible that the discs are just a bit stiffer at 40-60 degrees than 80-90, thus helping the durability? I didn't really complain about the durability until I had messed up 4 discs in less than a month. All were different colors and one was a different run. We've had complaints at the store as well.
I'm in Dallas and haven't seen any damage to my FR 174g Orangy, pinkish colored one.
I have no idea what to call that color, but I'm pretty sure no man should know it.

granted, I don't throw it much and have only hit one tree with it, but I don't think it has a mark on it yet.

I'll throw it some more, see how it reacts

Interesting. I am about 20min south of the NY/Canada border and my Nukes have been holding up just fine so far. I actually smacked a tree full blast about 70ft from the teepad and my Nuke was fine. That being said it was probably about 50 degrees out when that happened. I have noticed that they are getting very "dirty" with lots of stuff staining the plastic. My yellow one looks like it's a year old but I've only had maybe 2 months. The wing is fine, it's just sucked up lots of dirt.

I've been throwing mine IN Canada
in temps less than 10 degrees Celcius
it has been holding up...even hit a tree less than a 100 feet off on a hard forehand and it didn't hurt the disc

it is dirty as hell though

it's a yellow FR 166

maybe they get gummier and softer in the heat making them break down easier

smarkquart said:
I cannot keep my two yellow ones clean. Dirt and grass stains are almost like dye. I am unsure where I rate its durability. I had one pierced through the flight plate by a twig but I was able to bend the hole back into shape and it has not affected its flight in the least. I have several incredibly minor dings and gouges on the rim, but nothing that bothers my grip anywhere I hold it. They look like they have been tossed for years and or been through a war but as much as I thought the durability sucks, they have held up incredibly well compared to some of the catastrophic damage I have seen other discs take. To top it off, nothing has seemed to change their flight characteristics yet. They fly almost the same as the day I bought them, which is great because once I learned what they were capable of, how I should release them, they have become by far the furthest thing I can throw consistently no matter what the wind conditions (except maybe a direct headwind).

I don't like dirty looking discs so I regularly clean them (it improves the grip as well, especially putters).

On some plastics soap and water doesn't help much. I keep acetone and a product called "Goof Off" (both are in hardware stores) in stock to clean discs, take off hotstamps and remove accumulated stick-um (I use a brand called Pow'r Tac which is spraying onto the disc).

I have been throwing a couple Nukes (first run in red, second run in yellow). The red one has gotten a ton a abuse in the couple months it has been in the bag and shows scrapes and dirt/grass stains. It has not changed its flight path at all (I live in Michigan for those wondering if warm weather is a factor on their break-in rate).

After reading this post I cleaned off the red one. Soap and water did nothing. Goof Off was marginally effective. Acetone worked great (and took off the hotstamp) and the disc is looking shiny and clean again. Thanks to smartquark for bringing this up. I like my Nuke better than ever. The original hotstamp color was blue, which didn't look all that hot. Underneath the removed hotstamp now shows pink and it looks much better.

My Nukes continue to fly farther than anything else and and in my hands, fight moderate headwinds well.

so threw it some more today, and holy cow they are long. Clearly MUCH longer than anything else I have in the bag. That said I doubt I will be throwing them very much. They are very sensitive to power and OAT. I is very fast, but pretty understable which probably is why it has such good glide. Whenever I tried to put on the power they would flip way too much. And if I threw it soft it would obviously hyzer out short. Because of the wide wing, it still has a lot of LSS.

Mark Ellis said:
smarkquart said:

I don't like dirty looking discs so I regularly clean them (it improves the grip as well, especially putters).

On some plastics soap and water doesn't help much. I keep acetone and a product called "Goof Off" (both are in hardware stores) in stock to clean discs, take off hotstamps and remove accumulated stick-um (I use a brand called Pow'r Tac which is spraying onto the disc).

I have been throwing a couple Nukes (first run in red, second run in yellow). The red one has gotten a ton a abuse in the couple months it has been in the bag and shows scrapes and dirt/grass stains. It has not changed its flight path at all (I live in Michigan for those wondering if warm weather is a factor on their break-in rate).

After reading this post I cleaned off the red one. Soap and water did nothing. Goof Off was marginally effective. Acetone worked great (and took off the hotstamp) and the disc is looking shiny and clean again. Thanks to smartquark for bringing this up. I like my Nuke better than ever. The original hotstamp color was blue, which didn't look all that hot. Underneath the removed hotstamp now shows pink and it looks much better.

My Nukes continue to fly farther than anything else and and in my hands, fight moderate headwinds well.

Mark, are you still a forehand dominant player? Do you mind if I ask how far you drive with this disc? You've pretty much taught me everything I know about throwing a golf disc (via youtube), and I'm curious about how far forehand drives "should" go

Mark Ellis said:
smarkquart said:

Try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They really are magic. I always have to keep my plastic clean. (OCD)

There must be some way to edit out a messed up response. Where is the computer version of acetone?

Latest posts