• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

I think a couple of pages back someone mentioned that the prod runs are less stable than the FR
but I am going on memory and not personal experience

ManU said:
I think a couple of pages back someone mentioned that the prod runs are less stable than the FR
but I am going on memory and not personal experience
I've thrown all 3 types and the stability (for me) goes from:

1st run > 2nd run > Memorial

FR being the most stable.

Mark Ellis said:
StumperTX said:
Thanks Mark, I appreciate the feedback - I think this is the thread you where looking for (re: elbow close): http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179

If you're ever in the Dallas-Ft Worth area (for a tourney or other reason) shoot me a pm, my wife and I will take you out to dinner/drinks

StumperTX, thanks for the offer. While I have no Texas plans at the moment, I will work on building up a hunger and thirst to rival your generosity.
I'd say that Oct-Dec or Spring would be the best time of year. Contrary to popular belief, Dallas gets "cold" in the winter, we'll probably get snow once or twice a year, so winter isn't exactly ideal. I put cold in finger quotes bc I grew up in Connecticut and went to college in Indiana... cold is a relative term.

Back to the Nuke -- What are the "Universal" stats for a (FR) Nuke? If I was going to guess, I'd say something like Speed: 13, Glide: 5, HSS: -3 to -4, LSS/Fade: 2

I can throw the disc on a hyzer line, and can throw it straight, but for the life of me I can't get it to think about an anny line. I CAN however, throw an epic FH roller any time I try to throw an anny line. This, while awesome, is not exactly what I'm looking for. I think it's caused by my over drive being much more (over)stable than this, so I'd like ot be able to quantify the difference.

StumperTX said:
Back to the Nuke -- What are the "Universal" stats for a (FR) Nuke? If I was going to guess, I'd say something like Speed: 13, Glide: 5, HSS: -3 to -4, LSS/Fade: 2
Definitely don't agree with the HSS. At least my yellow FR Nuke is way more HSS than a Katana, which I rated at -2,5.

Thanks for the input about the stabilites.
I was just curious if what I had was what I was looking for or if there was better out there.

jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:
Definitely don't agree with the HSS. At least my yellow FR Nuke is way more HSS than a Katana, which I rated at -2,5.
Yeah, I haven't thrown the Katana yet, but the Nuke is flippier than a Wraith, which itself is much less HSS than the Boss I carry. It's possible that I have a freak Boss that's ridiculously HSS (I think this is probably the case) which is shifting my perspective on this.

StumperTX said:
jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:
Yeah, I haven't thrown the Katana yet, but the Nuke is flippier than a Wraith, which itself is much less HSS than the Boss I carry. It's possible that I have a freak Boss that's ridiculously HSS (I think this is probably the case) which is shifting my perspective on this.
My Nuke is also more HSS than any Wraith/DD I've thrown. Go figure. =)

I also seem to have a freaky Star Boss, it's the most overstable thing I've ever seen anywhere. Not even howling headwinds can make it go straight. I need to get a Champ Boss to try out sometimes...

jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:
jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:

I also seem to have a freaky Star Boss, it's the most overstable thing I've ever seen anywhere. Not even howling headwinds can make it go straight. I need to get a Champ Boss to try out sometimes...

Don't get a clear yellow champ then because the real freak overstable ones like Piippo threw FH at Tali Open finals on regular hole 1, which was the first one of the monster FH driveson the video, are considered the most overstable Bosses out there.

I agree that my no first run stamp Nuke is much more HSS than Katanas. Even the US Masters Champ that is more HSS than other Katanas.

JR said:
jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:
jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:

Don't get a clear yellow champ then because the real freak overstable ones like Piippo threw FH at Tali Open finals on regular hole 1, which was the first one of the monster FH driveson the video, are considered the most overstable Bosses out there.

I agree that my no first run stamp Nuke is much more HSS than Katanas. Even the US Masters Champ that is more HSS than other Katanas.

Ok, Surge SS has a Stability Rating of 1.6 and a HSS (Per the Uni Flight Chart) of -1.5
The Nuke as a Stability Rating of 1.6.

soo... -1.5 HSS?

Does that work? Is there a Transitive Property of Disccraft to Everyone Else?

I've been loving throwing the Nuke, if I hit it right it goes crazy farther than anything else I've got. I'm looking forward to grabbing one or two of the later runs to see how it compares to my first run, seeing as how everyone seems to be saying they aren't as stable.

On the issue of durability which I know has been brought up in this thread I've found mixed results. My first run has been what I'd consider plenty resistant to damage, the only time I've managed to ding it was when it flew into a stone wall and that only took a tiny little chunk out of the wing. On the other hand I have a friend locally that after only a handful of throws had a decent chunk taken out of the rim and swears it never hit anything but the ground. Though he was playing with it at a course where theres unfortunately a number of broken bottles so I'm thinking a shard of glass might have been the culprit.

I wouldn't call my Nuke flippy it's -0.5 to -1 in turn.

Unfortunately in 59F at the course that eats up any plastic my Nuke got around 1mm dent in the leading edge from one drive that's uphill with a plateau at the top. The disc hit the plateau. The same place slashed my Z Pred through the disc deep on the first round I threw it. Bad place.

Took the Nuke back onto the battlefield; once it wears in a bit (won't take long because this run of ESP is rather poor), they are HUGE bombers. Brand new they remind me of a super long EL and once broken in they are a speed 13 Valk. Loving them so far.

Out of curiosity, how do the new production run Star Katanas compare?

All this color/run debate is easily fixed by a good amount of tuning. Tuning a disc truly works. All Destroyers, as my best example, have the same general flight path. But some come out flippier than others sometimes by a wide margin. Same flight path, but with more or less high speed stability. Tuning my discs, however, allows me to (with minimal effort) get them all to the same familiar stability. It works the same with Discraft, Innova, or Gateway discs for me.

As for the Ville Pippo discussion (which I hadn't had time to get into until now) - I throw my forehands out about 460 on a golf line right now, about 10 feet off the ground at the highest point, and Bennett has me by a wide margin. I haven't seen Ville throw in person, but I agree with Mark - Ville may be an athletic person (though he appears to be more "fit" than "athletic" - big BIG difference), but he doesn't appear to have athletic form. He doesn't bring his whole lower body into his shots, he relies heavily on his arm speed from the elbow out with minimal contributions from his legs, torso, and upper arm (I say minimal because he clearly has SOME leg push, but it clearly isn't a lot).

He may have a bigger arm than Bennett or Koling, I can't say for certain having not seen them all. But from what I have seen - 475 on a low golf line isn't going to touch Geoff right now I don't think.

-Chris.

ChrisWoj said:
All this color/run debate is easily fixed by a good amount of tuning. Tuning a disc truly works. All Destroyers, as my best example, have the same general flight path. But some come out flippier than others sometimes by a wide margin. Same flight path, but with more or less high speed stability. Tuning my discs, however, allows me to (with minimal effort) get them all to the same familiar stability. It works the same with Discraft, Innova, or Gateway discs for me.

As for the Ville Pippo discussion (which I hadn't had time to get into until now) - I throw my forehands out about 460 on a golf line right now, about 10 feet off the ground at the highest point, and Bennett has me by a wide margin. I haven't seen Ville throw in person, but I agree with Mark - Ville may be an athletic person (though he appears to be more "fit" than "athletic" - big BIG difference), but he doesn't appear to have athletic form. He doesn't bring his whole lower body into his shots, he relies heavily on his arm speed from the elbow out with minimal contributions from his legs, torso, and upper arm (I say minimal because he clearly has SOME leg push, but it clearly isn't a lot).

He may have a bigger arm than Bennett or Koling, I can't say for certain having not seen them all. But from what I have seen - 475 on a low golf line isn't going to touch Geoff right now I don't think.

-Chris.

Ville has played with Geoff at USDGC IIRC. Was Geoff healthy back then because Ville wasn't impressed? Me and mafa from this board have noticed that Ville is primarily arm sidearmer. I haven't talked to Ville about this but I think Ville is in his own realm like Källström is in backhand. So the same rules don't apply to them as to other players. Meaning that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ville is using approach form for most shots due to increased accuracy. Or perhaps he doesn't think that strokes are fewer with added D. I wouldn't think that Ville isn't able to utilize the lower body more if he needed to.

Make no mistake Ville is athletic. To think he's only fit shows you haven't met him. Muscles and especially large tendons in the forearm. Big time. He's between Avery and Källström Markus being the most muscular player I have met. But some muscle groups may be larger with Ville.

Okay, this has officially gone out of hand. We need a separate thread where we can bash/praise on our forehand player of choice. =)

So yeah, how about them Nukes? I hear they're mighty long.

Farting lemon Startana 175 and Pro 167 are faster, longer and less fading to my 170 Nuke. But Nuke glides more but really is designed for higher speed and stronger throwers to exceed Katana controllable D and when you need more fade or skip on lower lines. Absolute D goes still to Pro Katana with a no margin of error clean shot.

JR said:
ChrisWoj said:

-Chris.

Ville has played with Geoff at USDGC IIRC. Was Geoff healthy back then because Ville wasn't impressed? Me and mafa from this board have noticed that Ville is primarily arm sidearmer. I haven't talked to Ville about this but I think Ville is in his own realm like Källström is in backhand. So the same rules don't apply to them as to other players. Meaning that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ville is using approach form for most shots due to increased accuracy. Or perhaps he doesn't think that strokes are fewer with added D. I wouldn't think that Ville isn't able to utilize the lower body more if he needed to.

Make no mistake Ville is athletic. To think he's only fit shows you haven't met him. Muscles and especially large tendons in the forearm. Big time. He's between Avery and Källström Markus being the most muscular player I have met. But some muscle groups may be larger with Ville.
You're not getting the difference between fit and athletic. :p Muscles and large forearms don't make you athletic. I know a lot of guys that are absolute beasts, with well developed muscular bodies - but they're not athletic. :p

As for Geoff vs Ville - I'm just going off of what you said. I've said I don't know for sure. But I'm saying 475 on a line is definitely something I've seen Geoff able to achieve, and then some. So if *that* is your example of what he can do, then it is not enough. If he's done much much more, then yes he may be giving Geoff a run for his money. As for Geoff being impressive - well, I'll give you that much. Looking at Geoff, he doesn't look like he'll tear it up lol. Not an impressive figure. And I'm guessing Ville played with him 1st round 2 years ago... I wouldn't have been impressed either. I doubt he's shot a round that poorly in the two years before that one or in the year and a half since. :p

Okay, one last thing and then I'm officially done:
ChrisWoj said:
You're not getting the difference between fit and athletic. :p Muscles and large forearms don't make you athletic. I know a lot of guys that are absolute beasts, with well developed muscular bodies - but they're not athletic. :p
Ville is a javelin thrower. 'Nuff said.

Chris would you qualify 80ish meters with a javelin as athletic or how high are your standards? See that is a world class result although not championship material. Ville wasn't talking about how Geoff looked like just his shots or maybe he meant form and power generation dunno. I don't know Ville's limits FH. Ville isn't an immovable hulk he's fairly flexible if you mean mobility. And for such a muscular guy he's more flexible than most. Don't underestimate him. Having seen Geoff on videos and knowing how he has placed in big competitions I suspected something was off when he played with Ville. I got the distinct feeling from Ville's description that I've seen much better performance from Geoff and told Ville that and to not underestimate Geoff in the future based on that experience.

Latest posts