• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

JR said:
Chris would you qualify 80ish meters with a javelin as athletic or how high are your standards? See that is a world class result although not championship material. Ville wasn't talking about how Geoff looked like just his shots or maybe he meant form and power generation dunno. I don't know Ville's limits FH. Ville isn't an immovable hulk he's fairly flexible if you mean mobility. And for such a muscular guy he's more flexible than most. Don't underestimate him. Having seen Geoff on videos and knowing how he has placed in big competitions I suspected something was off when he played with Ville. I got the distinct feeling from Ville's description that I've seen much better performance from Geoff and told Ville that and to not underestimate Geoff in the future based on that experience.
I did not know about the javelin throwing - I've thrown javelin and compete in decathlons regularly - and 80 meters is bad ass. I can barely eclipse 45 haha. As I said before - I am operating on the things you all have stated here, I haven't said either way whether or not he's athletic. Just that he looks like he's a bit more bulky and less fluid. Knowing this about his javelin tosses, then that is definitely an athletic event and he'd have to be a hell of an athlete to pull together a rip like that. Impressive as hell, only 10M off the top 10 in the world. (a wide gap and yet not wide at the same time, if that makes sense).

And yes - I did mean flexibility, speed... mostly it all goes into: is he fluid when he competes athletically. His forehand is very mechanical, which is what I took my impressions from. And I'm definitely not underestimating Ville - he'd crush me on the course regularly I'm sure. He's clearly a hell of a player. All told I'd say I've learned a lot of interesting stuff in this discussion which makes it worth it.

-Chris.

ChrisWoj said:
And yes - I did mean flexibility, speed... mostly it all goes into: is he fluid when he competes athletically. His forehand is very mechanical, which is what I took my impressions from. And I'm definitely not underestimating Ville - he'd crush me on the course regularly I'm sure. He's clearly a hell of a player. All told I'd say I've learned a lot of interesting stuff in this discussion which makes it worth it.
Like JR, I don't think he's really gone all out on any video that's out there. That 135 meter tunnelshot looks more like a control drive than anything.

JR: Grab a camera and get the Monster the really flex those muscles. =)

JR said:
That would be poor behavior on my part. I can't tell why because that would be poor behavior also. Sorry

Yeah, you know here in America we're all about hubris, showing off, flexing muscles, and selling ourselves!

It's not that the situation is more complicated. Ville is an outspoken guy and has appeared in local newspapers etc. He's not shy. He's a great ambassador to the sport.

Frank Delicious said:
Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck. Each one could be flippier or more stable than any other driver out there. There is also no way to know since each throw with them is also unreproducible because of the nose angle sensitivity of said suck snowflake.

I was just reading through the Nuke articles when I ran into my new favorite description/review of a disc in a concise and precise manner. I felt no wonder on how the disc preformed or if it might fill a niche spot in a bag.

Frank D you can turn a phrase

CHEERS - Koffee

I'm very disappointed about how my Memorial Nuke turned out. I had a 171 that started out somewhat stable and very predictable for a long straight flight with a slight left hand finish. I hit one tree dead on from about 70 feet out and now this thing flips over and never comes back. I seriously bent the nose of the rim downward where it hit. I don't even throw that hard/fast either.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think durability in a non-champ/z plastic is always going to be an issue with sharp nosed, wide winged drivers. I seem to remember having a couple Star Bosses that didn't look beat, but lost a bunch of stability after some use. Nukes do seem bad for this in particular though. My first two lasted an average amount of time or better, but one was pretty flippy out of the box (Memorial 171, Yellow). The other in that pair (Memorial 174, Orange) was interesting. It had good stability, even after creaming (chip in wing) a metal T-post 80 feet off a tee at near max power. Then one day, I hit something else, maybe a tree with it, and it was flippy von flipster. The First Runs seem to last a little better, but I have had trouble finding First Run Nukes that were stable. I haven't thrown any other runs, and it wouldn't be an issue if they would submit and approve the King proto that I have. I have heard others say that they would take them out of their bags because of the wear issues, but I just try to keep them in clean air, and let them fly far.
KP

funny Nuke story --
Last night I was playing my local course and came up to a 315ft hole, trouble short, trouble left. There's a walking bridge ~12ft behind the pin and ~10ft above it, about 5ft wide. there's a pretty solid side rail, 3.5 ft high on the bridge, solid enough that I've actually tried to use it as a backboard on a flat throw before.

I decided to throw the Nuke to eliminate the trouble short (RHFH because that's the only way I drive), throw it high and take a bit off it to not fly way over the pin, and start it at the trouble left. If you can't see where this is going, I put my drive ON the bridge (and it stayed on it). Possibly the most amazing shot of my life. Not a long throw (only ~330), but I feel like I could try for a month and not reproduce that shot. If you were curious, I missed the putt from the bridge but didn't really care after that drive.

No damage to the nuke either, which is almost as amazing as landing it on the bridge.

NoMoreTinCup said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think durability in a non-champ/z plastic is always going to be an issue with sharp nosed, wide winged drivers. I seem to remember having a couple Star Bosses that didn't look beat, but lost a bunch of stability after some use. Nukes do seem bad for this in particular though. My first two lasted an average amount of time or better, but one was pretty flippy out of the box (Memorial 171, Yellow). The other in that pair (Memorial 174, Orange) was interesting. It had good stability, even after creaming (chip in wing) a metal T-post 80 feet off a tee at near max power. Then one day, I hit something else, maybe a tree with it, and it was flippy von flipster. The First Runs seem to last a little better, but I have had trouble finding First Run Nukes that were stable. I haven't thrown any other runs, and it wouldn't be an issue if they would submit and approve the King proto that I have. I have heard others say that they would take them out of their bags because of the wear issues, but I just try to keep them in clean air, and let them fly far.
KP

You could always try tuning them to get a little more stablity. (of course there's a heated discussion on the legality of that going on in a different thread)

Moar funny nuke stories.

My friend Quinn landed his in a pond the other day, it somehow ended up upside down like a little boat and we waited like 20 minutes for it to blow across so he could get it. Lost the same one the next day because he threw multiple drives on a hole and left it.

Same Quinn got his new replacement Nuke stuck about 70 feet up in a tree yesterday at Belmont. Took us around 20 minutes to get it down so I'm assuming he'll leave it someplace today if anyone wants to shadow him :lol:

I'm still throwing the nuke. Mine are first runs. I agree that it is a chintzy blend of esp but I think Discraft is onto something good with this mold. I try not to throw them where they will hit anything worse than a tree. Every once in a while I will take a hard hit with one that bends the wing down. When that happens I just bend it back into shape and tune it for a little more overstability, and then it flies good again. Still looking forward to Z Nukes though.

Whats the difference in the Nuke Plus vs the regular Nuke? I was thinking about ordering one of those proto Z ones but am not sure now that I've found out it may be a different mold, let alone illegal for PDGA play.

The Nuke changes how courses play. Played the Toboggan course yesterday for the first time this year (a temporary course course installed just to host the Amateur National Championships each year in Michigan).

I played a hole (#11, steeply uphill) that last year I could not reach with a drive. I think the closest I got on my best attempt was 30 feet short. My drive yesterday went 20 past.

There is a long, two drive hole (#17) which I could not reach for a 3. Last year I just played it for a four since I was 80 to 100 feet short of the pin after two drives. Yesterday, throwing into a headwind, my second drive hit the pin.

The Nuke is amazing.

Latest posts