• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

discspeed said:
The more I test my Z Nuke, the more I'm thinking the Destroyer is really the limit of what is comfortable in my hand rim width-wise. Yesterday it was hot as balls (95 with 70% humidity) and sweat was a real issue. I keep a rosin bag and such, but with that giant handle and the Z plastic I could not even get a solid grip yesterday as my hands were never 100% dry and clean. It cooled in the evening and I threw it a couple of times, but it is wild compared to my Destroyers. Currently I'm alternating between stalling it out too high, and flipping it when I try and keep it low. I'm starting to think that perhaps the tree hit I had did make it more flippy because I've turned it just about every time since that hit. Either way, its not even close to Destroyer stability (at least not the domey ones I throw).

This is pretty much where I'm at. The "new toy syndrome" is wearing out. I'm getting consistently longer drives with my Surge's and even Teebirds. I hardly even use the Nuke on the course for this reason. It's hard to get consistency with it in the field, much less on a course. Wind really seems to affect the flight more than I thought it would too. Hey though, every 10th throw or so goes far. :lol:

All joking aside, I discovered something during field practice which was kinda weird. When I concentrated on throwing the Nuke almost like a Roc or Putter shot I was able to get more consistency and some serious long flights. My slowest pull went around 430 on flat ground no wind which is good d for me and felt almost strangely effortless. (google earth d not message board d) If I tried to throw it even close to how I throw my Surges it was inconsistent and tended to flip more than I wanted and was shorter. My form is pretty slow, short, and methodical anyway but my best Nuke throws were VERY slowed and felt strange. Even adjusting hyzer angle at faster speeds still yielded inconsistent results. For me personally this is something I've never experienced with any other wide rimmed drivers (even the Katana.) Am I over thinking this and just missing something obvious or what?

That is actually how I've seen (not thrown) the longest Z Nuke tosses..One guy from the area threw one about 575' maybe 600' in a tourney yesterday on a line that was about 35-40' high, maybe higher than that and it flipped over and just went forever. The hole was best played for most people to get about 400' from the tee and have a 200' or so straight hyzer to the pin (or huge spike over the trees to the pin) with the corner defined by a huge tree about 530' from the tee, his drive flipped and then S'd around the huge tree leaving what looked like a jump put for 2!

We got in some new ESP Nukes today. The plastic is much stiffer than the 1st/2nd runs, but does not necessarily feel more durable. It almost feels like they added some Pro D into the mix...It just lacks a quality "feel". I'll probably test one just to try my predictions and let everybody know what's up.

discspeed said:
We got in some new ESP Nukes today. The plastic is much stiffer than the 1st/2nd runs, but does not necessarily feel more durable. It almost feels like they added some Pro D into the mix...It just lacks a quality "feel". I'll probably test one just to try my predictions and let everybody know what's up.

No better than the Memorial Nukes from December I take it? The that I had beat in so quick it turns and burns now unless I put a 30' ceiling on it. How are the Zs compared to the ESP? I've heard good and bad about them.

jnecessary said:
That is actually how I've seen (not thrown) the longest Z Nuke tosses..One guy from the area threw one about 575' maybe 600' in a tourney yesterday on a line that was about 35-40' high, maybe higher than that and it flipped over and just went forever. The hole was best played for most people to get about 400' from the tee and have a 200' or so straight hyzer to the pin (or huge spike over the trees to the pin) with the corner defined by a huge tree about 530' from the tee, his drive flipped and then S'd around the huge tree leaving what looked like a jump put for 2!

This isn't a hole at Peninsula Park, is it? I just re-read this post, and can't think of what hole that describes.

Sean40474 said:
discspeed said:

No better than the Memorial Nukes from December I take it? The that I had beat in so quick it turns and burns now unless I put a 30' ceiling on it. How are the Zs compared to the ESP? I've heard good and bad about them.

The durability of these new one is yet to be tested...I will be testing them for sure. The FR/2nd run ESPs were so crappy they showed rim bends/deep cuts after a few rounds for me, so I should know in a short time whether they are that bad, or somewhat better.

Z Nukes have good durability. Obviously I haven't had mine long enough to say they have great durability, but it is at least as good as Star or regular ESP (not the kind used in Forces/Nukes). I have had pavement slides, point blank tree hits, lots of down range tree collisions, and yesterday I had one fade into sharp rocks on the side of some RR tracks. None of this has done anything other than produce minor scrapes that were easily buffed away. None of my Z Nukes have shown any rim bends or lost a noticeable amount of stability.

My buddy says the disc is almost different in flight to him than the ESPs he has had, have you had the same experience? I had fun with the Nuke once I got the ESP beat a little, but then it didn't take long before it was a flip monster.

I just realized my typo and I don't remember what I was trying to say, it was a late night last night :p

Timko said:
jnecessary said:

This isn't a hole at Peninsula Park, is it? I just re-read this post, and can't think of what hole that describes.
It was actually a temp hole at the Devil's Glen tourney this year. It was the 3rd temp this year and I believe they reversed the holes from last year so 2nd temp last year if you happened to play it.
ejpSj.jpg

How are ESP Domey Nuke different then Flat ESP Nukes? I've been throwing Flat ones that goes pretty straight for 300ft til it slowly fades.

discspeed said:
and yesterday I had one fade into sharp rocks on the side of some RR tracks.

Hole 18 at Cliff, huh? What's funny is the couple of times I've put discs OVER the tracks on that hole. But yeah, I can see those rocks being bad for a disc that isn't durable enough. I think I only put my Memorial Nuke into those rocks twice. It actually took the hits better than I thought they would. I imagine the Z's wouldn't be phased by those rocks. But the next time I'm down there, I probably won't find out since I'm not throwing Nukes anymore.

ive had gouges taken out of my esp 1r's and my Z 1r's i have had mostly good things to say about, except the other day in rolla. in an open fairway i mustve hit a rock, or something and i have a cut 1 in+ that you could slide a quarter all the way into. never seen this before, but otherwise theyve been ok through other bad impacts

lovetoDG said:
How are ESP Domey Nuke different then Flat ESP Nukes? I've been throwing Flat ones that goes pretty straight for 300ft til it slowly fades.

Domeys get more lift and are more overstable.

Roc Lover said:
ive had gouges taken out of my esp 1r's and my Z 1r's i have had mostly good things to say about, except the other day in rolla. in an open fairway i mustve hit a rock, or something and i have a cut 1 in+ that you could slide a quarter all the way into. never seen this before, but otherwise theyve been ok through other bad impacts

Gouges happen to most modern plastics and are really a roll of dice. You have to hit something sharp at a particular angle, and anything but really stiff Z/Champ will gouge. My biggest problem with ESP Nukes that is not a problem at all with the Z is the way the rim warps after a big impact. I play around really hard palm/pine trees, and when you hit them it's a full-on trunk impact. These impacts bent the ESP Nukes like they were X plastic. They would no longer lay flush on a flat surface, and would be 1/8" off the surface in places. This didn't break them in nicely either...There was little difference in LSS, but instead of slowly drifting to the right after their cruising speed was exceeded, they simply failed and spilled over into a roller at that same point. So the warpage killed their HSS...

I think that is exactly what happened to mine then, but I haven't put it on a table to see if it is warped. The flight characteristics that you described are what mine does/did (don't throw it anymore).

So I was checking FB this morning and saw the big jerm is gonna be rocking some X nukes down at Tupelo Bay. Anyone else throw an X nuke yet?