• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Raider

Still rocking raiders. I like the fuzion. The biofuzion is surprisingly stable, but I have only a few rounds on it. I'm hoping it gets flippy quick.

Raider is awesome.

It's my Go To distance driver bc it is very consistent.

I've thrown several discs farther than my Raider (D2 Max, Tern) but I prefer to have an idea of where the disc is going to land even on a monster drive.

I can push my Raider out over 400 without it really ever risking a turn and burn. It may turn a bit if I smash on it but it always comes back and finish left of my release.

Theyre comfortable for both FH and BH, they fight winds shockingly well & I've thrown it in Lucid and Fuzion... With the same result.

Love the Raider. I think it'll be a bag mainstay for a long time.

I have a couple, and have been teetering with the idea of transitioning from LX Trespasses. I was concerned with them being deeper (than the trespass), but it is still pretty comfortable in the hand; I think the wing shape and mild dome help that.

I plan to go to the field soon to do a good comparison.

I have a couple, and have been teetering with the idea of transitioning from LX Trespasses. I was concerned with them being deeper (than the trespass), but it is still pretty comfortable in the hand; I think the wing shape and mild dome help that.

Send those LX Trespasses my way! Especially if they are the 2019's with dome, and a little beat in. :thmbup:

Throw them!

Tried. Too darn windy today. Like every day in Duluth in the spring... soon enough.

I really feel the two (LX Trespass and Raider) are comparable. Might be the price and availability that wins me over. Shrugs.

It's so much more beautiful than my potato cam will allow

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200423133414779_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200423133414779_COVER.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200423_133454.jpg
    IMG_20200423_133454.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 32
I went to Raiders from Trespasses.

I love(d) the Trespass. Easy to throw. Surprising distance. But I always thought I could get a bit more distance with a slightly faster disc. But I didn't want to get into the really fast stuff (DD3s for example) as I tended to lose consistency.

The Raider sits in between. I throw Protos (beef or at least beefy), bar stamps (flip a bit easier), have First runs etc.

This might sound crazy but if you are a Raider fan consider trying a light Lucid (I have a 162 and 166). Domey pop top.

They crush. Handle wind relatively well for their weight.

I went to Raiders from Trespasses.

I love(d) the Trespass. Easy to throw. Surprising distance. But I always thought I could get a bit more distance with a slightly faster disc. But I didn't want to get into the really fast stuff (DD3s for example) as I tended to lose consistency.

The Raider sits in between. I throw Protos (beef or at least beefy), bar stamps (flip a bit easier), have First runs etc.

This might sound crazy but if you are a Raider fan consider trying a light Lucid (I have a 162 and 166). Domey pop top.

They crush. Handle wind relatively well for their weight.

I really like the Trespass. Throw them quite a bit unless the wind is up.

As someone who has thrown both, how would you say they compare overall? Is there anything you feel the Trespass actually does better than the Raider? If you're getting more distance with the Raider are we talking ten or fifteen feet or fifty feet? How does the Raider hold up in light or moderate winds?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've been trying to find something a bit more stable and reliable than my Trespasses but not way more stable/overstable.

As someone who has thrown both, how would you say they compare overall? Is there anything you feel the Trespass actually does better than the Raider? If you're getting more distance with the Raider are we talking ten or fifteen feet or fifty feet? How does the Raider hold up in light or moderate winds?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've been trying to find something a bit more stable and reliable than my Trespasses but not way more stable/overstable.

I know your question wasn't aimed at me, but I've gone from Trespasses to Raiders and back to Trespasses. I've tried out quite a bit of other stuff in between (Shrykes, Ballistas/Ballista Pros, CD3s, Wraiths) but Trespasses and Raiders are the two best work horse distance drivers IMO. I say that because both molds are pretty consistent as long as you know what you prefer, meaning that Biofuzions will fly different than Fuzions, Lucids different than Moonshines, lightweight different than heavy, etc.

I went back to Trespasses because they fit my arm speed on both good and bad days. Raiders absolutely crush on a good throwing day for me, but are too much for me if I'm not throwing great. They are definitely in the same general flight category though; they're both a disc that when thrown well will flip up, turn a bit, then reliably come back with a forward-penetrating fade.

I think that if an average day for you is 350' or less, you will like Trespasses more. If you average 400' or more you will prefer Raiders. If you're in between then you probably just need to try both.

Raiders and Trespasses are two discs that I don't really see as super similar to each other. Generally, a Raider will be faster and a hair more stable than a Trespass.

For sheer distance its a tossup. I may even get a few more feet with the Trespass. The Trespass can be mashed on more of an S curve than the Raider, and it'll hold it longer before fading.

If I absolutely had to pick over over the other I'd take the Raider. It provides a more consistent flight and is better in the wind. Raiders can be hammered on. You know what you're getting, and the disc isn't going to do anything weird. No random flips.

I'd use the Trespass more for long turnover type shots, or downwind.

Frankly, I think the Sheriff compares more closely to the Raider than the Trespass does.

I know your question wasn't aimed at me, but I've gone from Trespasses to Raiders and back to Trespasses. I've tried out quite a bit of other stuff in between (Shrykes, Ballistas/Ballista Pros, CD3s, Wraiths) but Trespasses and Raiders are the two best work horse distance drivers IMO. I say that because both molds are pretty consistent as long as you know what you prefer, meaning that Biofuzions will fly different than Fuzions, Lucids different than Moonshines, lightweight different than heavy, etc.

I went back to Trespasses because they fit my arm speed on both good and bad days. Raiders absolutely crush on a good throwing day for me, but are too much for me if I'm not throwing great. They are definitely in the same general flight category though; they're both a disc that when thrown well will flip up, turn a bit, then reliably come back with a forward-penetrating fade.

I think that if an average day for you is 350' or less, you will like Trespasses more. If you average 400' or more you will prefer Raiders. If you're in between then you probably just need to try both.

I agree with this fully. The Trespass will cater more to lesser arms. If you don't have at LEAST 350' the Raider isn't really going to do much. It won't flatten out or turn. The Raider really excels when you start getting up toward 400'. I also agree that if you aren't having a good throwing day the Raider won't help you. That generally rings true for any stable-overstable driver. I'd say the same thing about Destroyers. When you aren't on your game a Destroyer will feel like a glideless brick.

Raiders and Trespasses are two discs that I don't really see as super similar to each other. Generally, a Raider will be faster and a hair more stable than a Trespass.

For sheer distance its a tossup. I may even get a few more feet with the Trespass. The Trespass can be mashed on more of an S curve than the Raider, and it'll hold it longer before fading.

If I absolutely had to pick over over the other I'd take the Raider. It provides a more consistent flight and is better in the wind. Raiders can be hammered on. You know what you're getting, and the disc isn't going to do anything weird. No random flips.

I'd use the Trespass more for long turnover type shots, or downwind.

Frankly, I think the Sheriff compares more closely to the Raider than the Trespass does.

Interesting, in my limited sample size I've found the Sheriff to be less overstable than either the Trespass or the Raider

Interesting, in my limited sample size I've found the Sheriff to be less overstable than either the Trespass or the Raider

I have a really hard time pinning down what exactly the Sheriff is anymore. I've thrown a bunch of them. At least a dozen. All plastics. They're simply all over the place in terms of stability. I've thrown everything from very flippy Sheriffs to pretty beefy/glideless Sheriffs.

Of those 3 molds its the one with the most inconsistency. I've thrown 5 Raiders, and for me they all flew the same.

From least to most stable I'd say Captain, Trespass, Sheriff, Raider, Defender. However, based on disc inconsistencies your results could vary.

I've tried a few Sheriffs that were literally "perfect". They flew right on the assigned numbers and are great drivers. That said, I figure less than 50% of the Sheriffs I've tried have flown true to the assigned numbers. Most were noticeably more overstable.

I'll try to respond to this along with the comments that followed.

Trespass
I threw domey Lucid at 175. For a Trespass (and given the altitude I'm at) these were quite HSS. Not very HSS but in terms of Trespass on the "beefier" side.

The Trespass is a "cheat" disc IMO. It goes very far for its speed/wing size. But it doesn't really like winds. Even at my altitude I was playing flip, turn (hopefully not too much) and fade back (hopefully enough) with the Trespass.

As noted the wing on the Trespass isn't large (2.1cm where most distance drivers are coming in at 2.3+ such as the Sheriff or Defender).

For me I always felt like I ought to be able to get more distance with a faster disc. So tried Sheriffs, Shrykes, Destroyers, Pharoahs, DD3s, Raiders.

From those the Raider worked best for me. I use a Proto for relatively OS (will flip up in a headwind, turn a small amount and fade back), a Barstamp (which flies like the Proto with extra seasining...easier to flip up, holds a turn longer, fades a bit later), and pop top Lucids at 162 and 166.

These last 2 I can use for pure distance, controlled distance. Flex shots, hyzers, etc. I wouldn't use them in a straight headwind at that weight...unless I really wanted to go right.

In a left to right cross or slight tail wind they smash. Will ride the wind because they are light, have the right speed and enough stability to come back.

So why the Raider and not the others that I listed?

Wing size. IIRC the Raider is 2.2cm. So it's not at the largest wing for a distance driver. That makes it fit my smallish hands better. That means, for me, it was more consistent. I had a better grip so my release was better. Didn't get slips that I found with the larger wing due to grip issues.

What I found with the bigger wing distance drivers was that I sometimes didn't get them up to speed properly. So not every throw was what I wanted. Sometimes I would get a good hit. Other times not so much.

In short, the Raider gave me more distance potential than the Trespass but with the same control and consistency as the Trespass. It gave me as much distance as the faster discs but much more consistently and with better control.

I'll agree with the comment that if you max at 350 stick to the Trespass. If you are edging up around the 400 range the Raider might be a better option. If you are cracking 450 then something even faster could work.

I would also agree that the Sheriff is closer to the Raider than the Trespass. (I honestly think the Trespass is unique. It's a very good disc. But as your distance increases there may be better options).

CD3 and Wraith are in the same category as the Trespass. I think the Trespass is longer but a bit more US. I haven't thrown a Wraith but have some CD3s. I'd rather throw the Trespass over the CD3. Nothing wrong with the CD3. I am a CD2 thrower and love them...the CD3 being a slightly longer version. But the distance I get with a CD2 makes the CD3 somewhat redundant. And the Raider will go much farther for me.

My "distance" drivers would be CD2s, Raiders, PD2s

Hope that helps