• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Raider

Welp. I had my first "flip in a headwind and don't come back" moment with my Raider yesterday. Unfortunately, it happened on a hole with an OB creek on the right. Took me a good 20 minutes to find it. What's really frustrating is it was a great throw distance wise on an uphill Par 4. Would've had an easy up-and-down for birdie if it had stayed in.

In related news, I will definitely be going to the local shop to pick up a Lucid this weekend.

I dig my Raider, but I probably wouldn't throw it in any headwind situation. It just doesn't have enough late fade to fight back at the end of flight.

The Defender would work better for headwinds. When that thing decides to fade, its sudden and dramatic.

I dig my Raider, but I probably wouldn't throw it in any headwind situation. It just doesn't have enough late fade to fight back at the end of flight.

The Defender would work better for headwinds. When that thing decides to fade, its sudden and dramatic.

I don't have your arm speed, so I can get a little more stability out of my discs. I bag a PDx for *real* headwinds but the Raider had been holding up fine in <15 mph winds. Maybe thrown with a little extra hyzer in that 12-15mph range, but it was still consistently coming back. I guess I've hit one too many trees at this point...my Raider is no longer fresh.

Just purchased a 168 raider. Hoping to become a bomber

Nice! I'm still getting the hang of the raider. I've found that if thrown hard on slight hyzer, it glides while fading forward pretty nicely. Similar to a beat in defender.

Just let loose on the 168 raider at the course. Def less stable and very workable. Will be an under stable bomber for sure. The new lucid has great glide. It turns more than the 2 fuzion or the SE I have at 174. Nice compliment

I picked up a fresh Lucid Raider to pair with my slightly beat Fuzion. The flight path is exactly what I was looking for. However, it's a lot more domey than my Fuzion Raider and thus not nearly as comfortable in the hand. Is that just how the Raider molds up in Lucid plastic, or are there some flattish Lucid Raiders out there? I'm not looking for board flat, just something average for a stable distance driver.

Picked up a 175 with tourney money. Was too OS for any real use by me here( so little wind) so i gave it to a forehander who may eventually beat it to useful.

The Stock Fuzion Raiders are fantastic. These have outperformed everything I have thrown. They are what I wanted to the Star Destroyer to be. Smooth 375 both FH and BH. I was even pushing them out to 400 on hyzer/golf lines at my last tournament. I haven't noticed any issues in 10-15 mph headwinds. I don't think I would be throwing them into 20 mph headwinds though. Really interested if/when they come out with the Lucid-X version. That could be a really nice complement on windier days.

Some interesting things I've found over the past few months:
- The Lone Star stamp ones have a bit more HST but much more LSF. The really dump out at the end of the flight.
- Once you go lower than 170 you start to notice more turn than the max weight versions.
- I actually haven't noticed any more stability out of the Lucid versions. I would imagine the BioFuzions are more understable, but I'm not sure.

The Stock Fuzion Raiders are fantastic. These have outperformed everything I have thrown. They are what I wanted to the Star Destroyer to be. Smooth 375 both FH and BH. I was even pushing them out to 400 on hyzer/golf lines at my last tournament. I haven't noticed any issues in 10-15 mph headwinds. I don't think I would be throwing them into 20 mph headwinds though. Really interested if/when they come out with the Lucid-X version. That could be a really nice complement on windier days.

Some interesting things I've found over the past few months:
- The Lone Star stamp ones have a bit more HST but much more LSF. The really dump out at the end of the flight.
- Once you go lower than 170 you start to notice more turn than the max weight versions.
- I actually haven't noticed any more stability out of the Lucid versions. I would imagine the BioFuzions are more understable, but I'm not sure.

I've only thrown 1 Raider, and its a Fuzion 168g. This disc is flippier than almost any star Destroyer I've thrown. It bends to the right on hard rips and flexes out nicely. I won't call it flippy, but it isn't really overstable either.

My Raider is good for 400' of controlled distance easily. It seems a hair faster and glides better than most Destroyers I've seen as well. I'd probably bag both a Raider and Destroyer. The Destroyer holds up better in windy conditions.

I've only thrown 1 Raider, and its a Fuzion 168g. This disc is flippier than almost any star Destroyer I've thrown. It bends to the right on hard rips and flexes out nicely. I won't call it flippy, but it isn't really overstable either.

My Raider is good for 400' of controlled distance easily. It seems a hair faster and glides better than most Destroyers I've seen as well. I'd probably bag both a Raider and Destroyer. The Destroyer holds up better in windy conditions.

I have 2 max weight fuzions that have a lot of additional stability compared to my 168 lucid. You can cover them all with different weights. The lucid x will make the stupid overstable ones eventually. The biofuzion is the pro, for sure

That's what I have found. I have a few 168-169's that are noticeably more understable than my raiders in the 173-175 range. They complement each other until you can beat a heavier one in. I would try a max weight one if you get the itch to replace that destroyer, they seem to resist HST more than a destroyer and they penetrate forward which is why I think they might be longer. Newer Destroyers tend to dump out at the end of their flights in my experience as opposed to fading forward. Longer on both BH and FH than any destroyer I've thrown.

Raider

Threw my 2nd Raider last weekend. Fuzion 173g. My other Raider is Fuzion 168g.

Obviously the 5 gram weight difference is noticeable when you throw. The 173 Raider has just a bit less high speed turn than the 168. I was able to really lay into it hard without any fear of flipping it. My 173 Raider has a gentle S curve flight. It holds the high speed turn well before very gradually fading out. 173g Raider flies something like 13, 5, -1, 2. It holds the high speed turn for a long while before a soft fade. Not a harsh dump like a lot of other high speed drivers have.

I loved it from the first throw. Very good distance and consistency. The Raider seems to be that perfect driver for drives just over 400'. It isn't necessarily the longest driver I've seen, but it isn't too far off.

IMO the Raider is the best driver DD makes for consistent distance. It has high speed turn, but isn't flippy. The disc feels good in your hand and is a very steady performer.

I also agree with whomever said that you can cover very subtle flight differences by using different weight Raiders. My 168 and 173 have slightly different flights, but are still very much the same mold.... if that even makes any sense.

DD got the Raider right. I'm not a huge fan of some of their other drivers, but the Raider is perfect.

Threw my 2nd Raider last weekend. Fuzion 173g. My other Raider is Fuzion 168g.

Obviously the 5 gram weight difference is noticeable when you throw. The 173 Raider has just a bit less high speed turn than the 168. I was able to really lay into it hard without any fear of flipping it. My 173 Raider has a gentle S curve flight. It holds the high speed turn well before very gradually fading out. 173g Raider flies something like 13, 5, -1, 2. It holds the high speed turn for a long while before a soft fade. Not a harsh dump like a lot of other high speed drivers have.

I loved it from the first throw. Very good distance and consistency. The Raider seems to be that perfect driver for drives just over 400'. It isn't necessarily the longest driver I've seen, but it isn't too far off.

IMO the Raider is the best driver DD makes for consistent distance. It has high speed turn, but isn't flippy. The disc feels good in your hand and is a very steady performer.

I also agree with whomever said that you can cover very subtle flight differences by using different weight Raiders. My 168 and 173 have slightly different flights, but are still very much the same mold.... if that even makes any sense.

DD got the Raider right. I'm not a huge fan of some of their other drivers, but the Raider is perfect.

This is 100% accurate, I bag 4 Raiders, and have been considering a 5th. I like to use a 168g fusion for forced anhyzers, a 170g Fuzion for full flight shots in mild wind, a Lucid raider for straight and/or hyzer shots, moonshine for heavy wind days, and a Hybrid Raider in 175g for utility shots or grenades

This is 100% accurate, I bag 4 Raiders, and have been considering a 5th. I like to use a 168g fusion for forced anhyzers, a 170g Fuzion for full flight shots in mild wind, a Lucid raider for straight and/or hyzer shots, moonshine for heavy wind days, and a Hybrid Raider in 175g for utility shots or grenades

I don't currently have a Raider in the bag, but that might change. If I bagged a Raider it would be taking the place of my Torrent, Boss, or Nuke. IMO the Raider flies like all 3 of those, but with a slightly softer late fade. Its a speed faster than my star Destroyer, again with less late fade.

The Raider just doesn't let me down when I throw it. It has that perfect blend of glide, speed, flex and (soft) late fade to be a very consistent driver.

Of all the DD sponsored tourny players, I bet every single one of them has at least 1 Raider in the bag. If I had to only bag DD discs the Raider would be the first driver I put in. Defender would probably be 2nd.

I don't currently have a Raider in the bag, but that might change. If I bagged a Raider it would be taking the place of my Torrent, Boss, or Nuke. IMO the Raider flies like all 3 of those, but with a slightly softer late fade. Its a speed faster than my star Destroyer, again with less late fade.

The Raider just doesn't let me down when I throw it. It has that perfect blend of glide, speed, flex and (soft) late fade to be a very consistent driver.

Of all the DD sponsored tourny players, I bet every single one of them has at least 1 Raider in the bag. If I had to only bag DD discs the Raider would be the first driver I put in. Defender would probably be 2nd.

The only difference I noticed really, for me, between the Raider and Defender, is the Raider has slightly more glide, and it has more forward skip when it hits the ground. It's also a bit less stable right out of the box, but not by a ton

The only difference I noticed really, for me, between the Raider and Defender, is the Raider has slightly more glide, and it has more forward skip when it hits the ground. It's also a bit less stable right out of the box, but not by a ton

I found the Defender to be noticeably more overstable than a Raider. The Defender won't really turn, and it fades a lot sooner and harder than a Raider. I can probably throw a Raider 20-30' further for that reason. Defender is much better in headwinds.

I really like the Defender because it can be cranked for big distance despite being an overstable disc.

I'd bag a Raider over a Sheriff though. IMO DD pretty much obsoleted the Sheriff by introducing the Raider. Sheriffs are weirdly finicky, and I've never really loved that mold.

I found the Defender to be noticeably more overstable than a Raider. The Defender won't really turn, and it fades a lot sooner and harder than a Raider. I can probably throw a Raider 20-30' further for that reason. Defender is much better in headwinds.

I really like the Defender because it can be cranked for big distance despite being an overstable disc.

I'd bag a Raider over a Sheriff though. IMO DD pretty much obsoleted the Sheriff by introducing the Raider. Sheriffs are weirdly finicky, and I've never really loved that mold.

I also never really fell in love with the Sheriff. I had a pretty beat up biofuzion one that was alright for long shots in calm weather if you put some hyzer on it, but the MF Lucid that I got was such an odd duck, kind of unpredictable

I also never really fell in love with the Sheriff. I had a pretty beat up biofuzion one that was alright for long shots in calm weather if you put some hyzer on it, but the MF Lucid that I got was such an odd duck, kind of unpredictable

I've probably thrown at least 10 Sheriffs. All plastics. Fuzions are the longest, by far. Some of them are super understable and will flip hard if thrown flat. Lucid Sheriffs are better if you're worried about flipping. I've also run into a couple stubbornly overstable Lucid Sheriffs. A perfect Sheriff (IMO) flies something like 13, 5, -2, 2. I figure less than half the Sheriffs I've thrown match those numbers. Most tend to be flippier. A couple Lucids had no high speed turn at all and were irritating.

The Raider seems more consistent to me. Less guesswork involved. I can rip on the Raider harder without worrying about it drifting too far right.