• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Raider

Cool, good to know. I've got a gift card to burn at the local shop, and plan to use it testing out potential replacements for my Ballista and Ballista Pros. I'm wanting something faster than Wraith class but not quite as wide-rimmed as the Ballista class. Raider and Shryke will get first crack if they feel good in the hand -- Raider seems like a potential Ballista Pro replacement and Shryke seems like a Ballista replacement. Although I'm planning to pick up both a Glow Champ Shryke and Star Shryke, so if the plastic variant is big enough than I might be able to replace both Ball/Ball Pro with just that one mold.

I find I can hammer on my Raider better than my Ballista Pro. The Ballista Pro is way faster, but it won't hold flat as long. It wants to fade sooner, and more harshly than the Raider. The Raider also glides better than the Ballista Pro. I'd choose the Ballista Pro over the Raider for headwinds. Any other condition, give me the Raider.

My Ballista Pro is stubborn. I can occasionally get a little turn on it, but most times not. If I want to max it out on distance I have to force it over high, hard, and anny.

If you're going to get a Shryke, I'd recommend a star. They fly great and would make a nice Ballista replacement. Obviously the Shryke's a speed slower than the Ballista, but it will go every bit as far with floatier glide.

BTW, I have one glow champion Shryke, and its my least favorite model. Very flat, with less glide than other Shrykes. Its that flippy disc that doesn't glide very well, and has a harsh late fade. In other words, I didn't like the glow champ Shryke very much. If you get a star Shryke, look for a domey one. Those things are f'ing incredible for glide and distance.

Personally, I prefer the Shryke to the Ballista. The Shryke glides a little better, and isn't as touchy. Make no mistake though, the Ballista is a very good mold. It's also on my top 10 list of longest molds.

Last edited:
I'd choose the Ballista Pro over the Raider for headwinds. Any other condition, give me the Raider.

I tend to only bag one distance mold to cover everything I need, even windy days. I agree with you on Fuzion Raiders not being the best for headwinds. But the Lucid and Hybrid Raiders hold up pretty well in the wind. Give them a little hyzer and they'll pop up to flat but still hyzer out in 10-15 mph headwinds.

I find I can hammer on my Raider better than my Ballista Pro. The Ballista Pro is way faster, but it won't hold flat as long. It wants to fade sooner, and more harshly than the Raider. The Raider also glides better than the Ballista Pro. I'd choose the Ballista Pro over the Raider for headwinds. Any other condition, give me the Raider.

My Ballista Pro is stubborn. I can occasionally get a little turn on it, but most times not. If I want to max it out on distance I have to force it over high, hard, and anny.

If you're going to get a Shryke, I'd recommend a star. They fly great and would make a nice Ballista replacement. Obviously the Shryke's a speed slower than the Ballista, but it will go every bit as far with floatier glide.

BTW, I have one glow champion Shryke, and its my least favorite model. Very flat, with less glide than other Shrykes. Its that flippy disc that doesn't glide very well, and has a harsh late fade. In other words, I didn't like the glow champ Shryke very much. If you get a star Shryke, look for a domey one. Those things are f'ing incredible for glide and distance.

Personally, I prefer the Shryke to the Ballista. The Shryke glides a little better, and isn't as touchy. Make no mistake though, the Ballista is a very good mold. It's also on my top 10 list of longest molds.

Good info on Glow Champ Shrykes. I'll look for a really domey one, but if I can't find one then I will definitely look to other plastic types instead. I agree that flat, fast, and understable is typically a bad combination.

I always appreciate your input TWM. Even though you throw a lot further than me, you also throw at a higher elevation and I feel that, in general, we get similar flight shapes out of discs.

Good info on Glow Champ Shrykes. I'll look for a really domey one, but if I can't find one then I will definitely look to other plastic types instead. I agree that flat, fast, and understable is typically a bad combination.

I always appreciate your input TWM. Even though you throw a lot further than me, you also throw at a higher elevation and I feel that, in general, we get similar flight shapes out of discs.

Yeah, I try to give a disc quite a few throws in varying conditions before I come on here and voice opinions about it. Obviously I've only thrown the 1 Fuzion Raider. I'd be interested to try that mold in Lucid. My Fuzion Raider is rock solid. I have a good feel for that disc and I know what it'll do when I throw it. I don't quite get 450' out of it, but it'll pass 400' pretty easily.

Shrykes are pretty consistent discs. Very seldom do I see one that flies outside the norm. I've probably thrown 20 Shrykes in all plastics. I find that the flatter the Shryke, the less I like it. They flip up OK, but don't glide or penetrate that well.

I've thrown about a dozen Ballistas. Those things (for the most part) are great. A little flippier and touchier than a Shryke, but every bit as long. Great hyzerflip bomber disc. I've gone over 450' quite a few times with Ballistas.

I've done some field testing and played first round today. 1 SE, AND 1 fuzion. Both fly the same, for now. Im seeing better glide and definite distance increase, especially on forehands. I'll spend the rest of the summer working these in for next year, and finally boot the outlaws out of the bag. I love the legacy plastic, but dynamic is pretty good too

Regardless of plastic, you want a domey one. The flat ones are flippy, the domey ones are the bombers. Just like Terns, domey is better, as I found the flat Terns to be stubbornly unglidey, whereas flat Shrykes like to flip and burn.

Regardless of plastic, you want a domey one. The flat ones are flippy, the domey ones are the bombers. Just like Terns, domey is better, as I found the flat Terns to be stubbornly unglidey, whereas flat Shrykes like to flip and burn.

I agree. I don't like ANY flat distance drivers, other than perhaps very overstable stuff. If I'm looking for max glide and distance, I want dome.

Flat Shrykes stink. My Raider isn't flat, but it isn't super domey either. It flies perfectly and glides great.

I just tested out a Raider for the first time in 168g Fuzion. Color me impressed. I'm not sure how it flies so fast for such a comfortable disc, but it does. Obviously I'm still in the honeymoon stage but it performed well both in the field and on the course. I typically max around 360' and the Raider was performing right at my max distance threshold. I got one out to 372' and a bunch more in the 340'-360' range. For me it flies like a longer and faster Wraith.

The Raider is immediately going in the bag since I don't have any tourneys coming up soon. I typically bag both a pure distance (Ballista Pro) and control (Wraith) disc with this flight shape but the Raider was stealing both discs' jobs. I can grip it comfortably and release clean and consistent like I do with a Wraith, but chew up distance like I do with a Ballista Pro. Very promising disc.

I just tested out a Raider for the first time in 168g Fuzion. Color me impressed. I'm not sure how it flies so fast for such a comfortable disc, but it does. Obviously I'm still in the honeymoon stage but it performed well both in the field and on the course. I typically max around 360' and the Raider was performing right at my max distance threshold. I got one out to 372' and a bunch more in the 340'-360' range. For me it flies like a longer and faster Wraith.

The Raider is immediately going in the bag since I don't have any tourneys coming up soon. I typically bag both a pure distance (Ballista Pro) and control (Wraith) disc with this flight shape but the Raider was stealing both discs' jobs. I can grip it comfortably and release clean and consistent like I do with a Wraith, but chew up distance like I do with a Ballista Pro. Very promising disc.

My Raider is the same weight and plastic as yours. I love it. I agree it flies like a faster Wraith. What really sells me on the Raider is the fact that it isn't in any hurry to fade. It goes straight for a long time. I've gotten mine out to 430'ish. It isn't quite my longest driver, but it isn't far behind.

The Raider for me doesn't seem lightning fast, but it gets top tier distance. I'm impressed.

My Raider is the same weight and plastic as yours. I love it. I agree it flies like a faster Wraith. What really sells me on the Raider is the fact that it isn't in any hurry to fade. It goes straight for a long time. I've gotten mine out to 430'ish. It isn't quite my longest driver, but it isn't far behind.

The Raider for me doesn't seem lightning fast, but it gets top tier distance. I'm impressed.

Agreed on all accounts (well, other than distance achieved). Raider seems to be exactly what I was hoping for.
I picked up a Shryke too but haven't clicked with it as quickly. Still sorting out what direction it's going to end up. But as for pure distance it's a crusher. My first measured Shryke throw was over 380', which for me is a great toss.
The Raider and Shryke seem different enough to potentially warrant bagging both. Stability wise the Shryke seems to fall about halfway between the Raider and the Ballista. I'll likely end up bagging the Raider plus one of the two between Ballista and Shryke.

Agreed on all accounts (well, other than distance achieved). Raider seems to be exactly what I was hoping for.
I picked up a Shryke too but haven't clicked with it as quickly. Still sorting out what direction it's going to end up. But as for pure distance it's a crusher. My first measured Shryke throw was over 380', which for me is a great toss.
The Raider and Shryke seem different enough to potentially warrant bagging both. Stability wise the Shryke seems to fall about halfway between the Raider and the Ballista. I'll likely end up bagging the Raider plus one of the two between Ballista and Shryke.

I definitely get more turn, glide, and overall distance with a Shryke than a Raider. I use the Shryke for open field hyzerflip bombs. It does well in calm or downwind conditions, but is poor in any sort of headwind. The Raider isn't really a headwind disc either, but it is still a lot more resistant to flipping than a Shryke.

On a good day I can go just a tad north of 450' with Shrykes.

I'm a Ballista fan as well, but I'd bag a Shryke over a Ballista.

I definitely get more turn, glide, and overall distance with a Shryke than a Raider. I use the Shryke for open field hyzerflip bombs. It does well in calm or downwind conditions, but is poor in any sort of headwind. The Raider isn't really a headwind disc either, but it is still a lot more resistant to flipping than a Shryke.

On a good day I can go just a tad north of 450' with Shrykes.

I'm a Ballista fan as well, but I'd bag a Shryke over a Ballista.

I feel like some folks overstate the amount of turn the Raiders get unless you throw with power AND anhy. Yes, Raiders will hold turn for most of their flight if you throw with both, but starting a Raider flat or with hyzer will get you a straight shot with a good finish or a sweeping, penetrating hyzer. They are clearly competing for Destroyer spots in folks bags and I think DD nailed it. Shrykes, B-Pros, Sheriffs, and other max-D discs off the shelf can coexist with Raiders until you've beaten one in to the point where it'll hyzer flip or hold the turn when thrown flat.

I threw my hybrid/lucid Raiders into wind recently and they really aren't as good at fighting the wind as I had hoped. It does resist turning in a light amount of wind but 10+ mph winds tend to start turning them more than I'd like. Anything over 10mph may require an Enforcer or similar type disc.

I feel like some folks overstate the amount of turn the Raiders get unless you throw with power AND anhy. Yes, Raiders will hold turn for most of their flight if you throw with both, but starting a Raider flat or with hyzer will get you a straight shot with a good finish or a sweeping, penetrating hyzer. They are clearly competing for Destroyer spots in folks bags and I think DD nailed it. Shrykes, B-Pros, Sheriffs, and other max-D discs off the shelf can coexist with Raiders until you've beaten one in to the point where it'll hyzer flip or hold the turn when thrown flat.

I threw my hybrid/lucid Raiders into wind recently and they really aren't as good at fighting the wind as I had hoped. It does resist turning in a light amount of wind but 10+ mph winds tend to start turning them more than I'd like. Anything over 10mph may require an Enforcer or similar type disc.

I definitely get more distance with a Raider vs. a star Destroyer. The Destroyer is a tad beefier, and will fade sooner and harder. My Raider doesn't turn a lot, but it holds flat for a very long time before fading. My Raider isn't a hyzerflip disc. If I want big distance out of it I have to throw it flat or even slightly anny.

Has anyone found a Raider that flies like the SE plastic ones? I have a flat top fusion that is lightly seasoned, and its flying fairly similar, just not quite as Understable. Obviously the Lucid, Hybrid, MS, etc. are all going to be much beefier than the SE would be

Has anyone found a Raider that flies like the SE plastic ones? I have a flat top fusion that is lightly seasoned, and its flying fairly similar, just not quite as Understable. Obviously the Lucid, Hybrid, MS, etc. are all going to be much beefier than the SE would be

I haven't. I imagine a seasoned Fuzion would be your best bet. I love my SE Raiders so I made sure to grab a handful so I'm set until my Lucids get worked in and/or I end up losing one.

Is the SE blend the same as the SE they made for the Getaway last year? If so, then it falls between Fuzion and Biofuzion. SE Getaways also molded up with a little less dome than most Fuzion and Bio Getaways that I've thrown.

Of course, this doesn't help you much since there are no Biofuzion Raiders yet. Just keep throwing your Fuzion at trees. If you're really impatient, give it a little bit of a swirl on a concrete teepad.

as soon as a biofuzion becomes available, i'll be all over it! Until then, I plan to continue seasoning the fusion ones that I have now for sure.

as soon as a biofuzion becomes available, i'll be all over it! Until then, I plan to continue seasoning the fusion ones that I have now for sure.

I think Danny posted a video about what's in his bag and he mentioned Bio Raiders being surprising stable. I doubt their Lucid stable, but they may be closer to new Fuzion stable than SE.