• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Easiest distance?

165g Ti Heat is a terrific hyzer flip disc for easy distance. Actually, all of the Heats, but that one is my favorite right now.

The first disc I thought of though is the Glide. It definitely has the highest distance/effort ratio of any disc I own. If you are really looking to change the way you throw to a much lower impact game, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. However, if you are still looking for speed 9+ discs, then look elsewhere. There have been many excellent suggestions in this thread. You can't go wrong with any of them.

165g Ti Heat is a terrific hyzer flip disc for easy distance. Actually, all of the Heats, but that one is my favorite right now.

The first disc I thought of though is the Glide. It definitely has the highest distance/effort ratio of any disc I own. If you are really looking to change the way you throw to a much lower impact game, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. However, if you are still looking for speed 9+ discs, then look elsewhere. There have been many excellent suggestions in this thread. You can't go wrong with any of them.

FWIW, I just picked up a 163g Heat in X plastic.

You make an interesting point about looking to change the way I throw. I plan to play for a LONG time (I want to play Legend division, which is 70+) so I might want to start that transition now. I'll check out the Glide; thanks.

BTW, my all-time favorite disc is the Comet, which is has some similarity to a Glide.

I also say Sidewinder in star or Gstar depending on how rough on discs your courses are (Gstar will ding up easier). Understable but glidey and controllable. If you go champ it may be very significantly more overstable, so I would avoid that.

I don't have experience with it, but how are Escapes for a long all around driver at this range?

For easy distance on a hyzer flip, there's nothing as easy as a Mamba. I'd suggest trying one in the 165-168g range and one in the 173-175 range. I'm 66 y/o and throw about the same distance as you. The downside of Mambas is that they're practically useless if there's any headwind.

FWIW, I just picked up a 163g Heat in X plastic.

You make an interesting point about looking to change the way I throw. I plan to play for a LONG time (I want to play Legend division, which is 70+) so I might want to start that transition now. I'll check out the Glide; thanks.

BTW, my all-time favorite disc is the Comet, which is has some similarity to a Glide.
Nice! Btw, if you pick up Glide and don't like it, I'll trade you a Big Z Comet for it :hfive:

(I do love the Comet, but I like the Glide even more :))

I'm throwing mainly fairway drivers from the tee right now and my most effective driver right now is a 167g TP Hatchet.

Hyzer flips are my preferred way to throw.

Many good suggestions in this thread! I'll throw out a VIP AIR Hatchet for Fairways or a Lucid AIR Renegade for Distance Drivers. Both have a good amount of turn and useful fade despite their low weight...

I'm a 63-year-old disc golfer coming to terms with the fact that age and nagging shoulder problems are beginning to drastically change my game. On a good day, I max out at about 325-330. I am starting to seek out lighter and less stable drivers to try to cheat Father Time a little.

Any suggestions re. which discs give the easiest distance off the tee?

That's impressive distance. I know guys half your age that don't throw that far.

That's impressive distance. I know guys half your age that don't throw that far.

You should have seen me forty years ago. :)

I've been playing since the 70s (PDGA #1476)

Anyway, 325-330 on my best days; usually, it's less. Thanks for the kind words, though.

Last edited:
Possibly a lighter star tern? Easy to find and easy to replace if it gets lost. I try a lot of different discs for my distance slot but always end up with terns in the bag for rounds that matter.

I recently picked up a G* Mamba (167g) and to my surprise it's the easiest distance disc I currently have. I only throw it on a hyzer flip but it has serious glide and has given me several birdie ops that just weren't there before. I actually had my longest recorded drive the other day when the conditions were ideal, wind over the left shoulder, etc. I threw it high out to the left, it flipped up, started flying to the right, and just kept...on...going. :)

I love my DD Fuzion Witness and GL Fury, both 168g. Both are smooth, easy distance compared to thicker discs like the roadrunner and hatchet. Much more predictable than my hatchet. Great range of plastics for the Witness fills two slots with the same mold. I'm 57 yrs old, 275' drives.

Light Mambas and GoldLine Fury. being that I'm a big guy I was trying to be macho and muscle out Halos and Giants. Trying my hardest for maybe 350' max. Put the 2 Fury's I had on my wall into my bag. First round getting effortless 330-350 S shots and throwing hard getting huge 400'+ hyzer flips. Great glide.

Mambas are fun to throw, but they need some room and height to work. I'd go with a Starlite Roadrunner instead, they're more user friendly in tighter fairways.

All good suggestions. . .

I'm 66 this year, been playing 9 years, and can hit 350ish RHBH and 310ish FH using lightweight Terns. If you are comfortable hyzer flipping, the longest Terns are the Echo Star ones in 156-160 weights (they are all dark red). Many of the 145-158 Starlite Terns have PLHs equal to heavier Champion and Glow Terns, and are unusually stable. At 150g these are my go-to Terns, which will take a hard, level rip with very little turn.

But the absolute longest, lightweight drivers out there are the mythical first molding of Blizzard Katanas with the very large bubbles in the flight plate. Shocking-long but touchy gyro-flyers, they are what I used to win Am Worlds MS1 distance competition in 2012, '13 and '14.

I am 66 and have had rotator cuff problems and I use the blizzard destroyer (145) and Diamond opto air in the same weight.......good discs with easy distance.

I run a Blizzard Destroyer in 145g as well, great disc. I am younger but suffer from fibromyalgia, so on the days that my shoulders are real bad and I need extra distance I grab my Blizz Destroyer. For me it throws fast and long with a touch of fade at the end.

If you do a YouTube search for Bob Gentil in the bag, he has some pretty good insight and advice about discs for older / less powerful throwers.

Bump - Just wondering what the replies would be in Fall 2019. I saw I wrote about the Heat, though I now use a Big Z Thrasher for "easy" distance these days (I relate to the short-armed dinosaur cartoon on the disc).

Valk/SW/RR still flipping up and going far.

Shryke for something faster.

Latest posts