• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Electron Baseline Plastic Experimental Formulas 1&2

Tons, but mostly boredom right now.

I was half asking a legitimate question. Why all the fanfare and limited release and outrageous pricing? If you can make Electron, why not go straight for a release of Ions? Science?

smart marketing

creating hype

I'm not really crazy about $30 baseline plastic, but it's done the job.

Tons, but mostly boredom right now.

I was half asking a legitimate question. Why all the fanfare and limited release and outrageous pricing? If you can make Electron, why not go straight for a release of Ions? Science?

MVP didn't have anything to do with the outrageous pricing, that was a choice made by some retailers.

Also, MVP has stated for awhile that in order to make base plastic putters, they need molds that will work differently with the plastic (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point). As a result, a new mold (or molds, as it were) with new plastic makes it easier to start production. I don't doubt Electron Ions are on the list, but why not perfect the plastic on something new first?

It is what it is. It would be a lot bigger deal if they released a stock disc, said THIS IS THE REAL STOCK OVERMOLDED THINGY, and then stamped both molds with the PDGA approved name. Which is the issue other companies have had.

No tooling, no pdga approval, no big deal. :D

I pretty much agree. Also worth noting its just the blues which seem to be of a different mold so something tells me that was on purpose more than accidental. Granted it was a little weird to see it just doesn't really matter with these discs.

It is what it is. Its something new for MVP. Its not different from what their press release explained. Its a prototype of a disc. A prototype of a disc can have different molds tested until they get what they want.

It is different than their press release. Two distinct molds and no mention of "prototype" or "mold" in anything but a singular context. Each mold is a prototype created during development (going to have to agree to disagree here since I think you're describing prototyping, not the prototypes created during prototyping). They might have been born in the quest to make one disc, but they are different and should be treated as such. A 1.1 and 1.2 if you will. Considering how different they are, I think it's more like 1.1 and 2.1.

Why can't it just be that? It would be a lot bigger deal if they released a stock disc, said THIS IS THE REAL STOCK OVERMOLDED THINGY, and then stamped both molds with the PDGA approved name. Which is the issue other companies have had.

No tooling, no pdga approval, no big deal. :D

Until the mold is approved and these prototypes get grandfathered in. Is MVP going to have both molds approved? Will both be approved as the same mold since they were created while narrowing down the final specs for the production mold?

I pretty much agree. Also worth noting its just the blues which seem to be of a different mold so something tells me that was on purpose more than accidental. Granted it was a little weird to see it just doesn't really matter with these discs.

I really think they're a separate mold. There's a lot more wing to them that would require carving out more of the mold. So either they're the latest iteration, or they're another new mold MVP is letting the golfers discover. Maybe they like both molds, can't decide which one they're going to have approved, and are letting the golfers decide.

Last edited:
I really think they're a separate mold. There's a lot more wing to them that would require carving out more of the mold. So either they're the latest iteration, or they're another new mold MVP is letting the golfers discover. Maybe they like both molds, can't decide which one they're going to have approved, and are letting the golfers decide.

This is pretty much what I've been saying. You just keep getting hung up on this singular prototype thing. Glad you get it now....

This is pretty much what I've been saying. You just keep getting hung up on this singular prototype thing. Glad you get it now....

I've always gotten it. You're misusing prototype. It's used in the release as a noun, not a verb. There are two distinct prototypes (molds) for this eventual mold.

Why not mention that there are some old test runs from a previous mold design mixed in like they're not different? Sort of a "Hey, we have these laying around from before we changed the mold to the current iteration. Don't get to like them because the mold has changed severely, and they can't/won't be reproduced." It's not like the cult will care. They swallow everything MVP feeds them.

I dislike them both honestly just lemme feel an ion up alreadyyyyyyy

Can you take a profile pic of a blue and an Ion? Aside from the obvious core differences, I wonder how different the wing profiles are.

Last edited:
no blues to take a picture next to right at the moment but the ions overmold/nose is pretty much symmetrical top and bottom with it just being round and then the big bead.

I've always gotten it. You're misusing prototype. It's used in the release as a noun, not a verb. There are two distinct prototypes (molds) for this eventual mold.

Why not mention that there are some old test runs from a previous mold design mixed in like they're not different? Sort of a "Hey, we have these laying around from before we changed the mold to the current iteration. Don't get to like them because the mold has changed severely, and they can't/won't be reproduced." It's not like the cult will care. They swallow everything MVP feeds them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually two new molds, rather than one that got scrapped and one that's the proto. Just my feeling on this.

So is it only the Blue Formula 2's that are the easter egg? I have a Blue Formula 1 and nothing to compare it to. Also, any early opinions on which of the 4 are the better putting putter? Formula 1, mold:1 or Formula 1 mold:2? Or Formula 2 mold:1 or Formula 2 mold:2?

Honestly can't wait until baseline hits full production. The Envy took strokes off my game at the end of the season this year. I am stoked to have premium Envy for drives and up shots. I would love a baseline Envy like putter for putting only duties.

i think a baseline ion will be their money putter. the anode/ion combo is great. but to cycle an ion...

I love the ion but I think a straight seasoned envy would feel much better in my hand

I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually two new molds, rather than one that got scrapped and one that's the proto. Just my feeling on this.

I agree with you. I don't quite get the omission, but both molds look very distinct. The oddball's rounded wing edges look more like my preference even though the top half looks a little fatter than the other mold. The flat lower wing on the "not-blue"s is quite comfortable, and the plastic blends are outstanding...even though I like my putters dinner plate firm and slick.

Last edited: