• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Electron Baseline Plastic Experimental Formulas 1&2

Speaking of the Nova, I've never thrown that goofy POS :)D) but I did notice something about the prototype today that reminded me a little about how people say the Nova will hit chains and just die. It wasn't as dramatic as how the Nova supposedly does it, but a definite improvement for us Envy putters. My N Envy sometimes glances off the chains when I'm off center and my soft N Envy sometimes gets a little bouncy. For instance if I land in the basket from 20+ feet it would sometimes bounce all around in there and hop out. Not often but more than a couple times. Twice today I landed in the basket and the prototype just stopped and stayed there like a good little putter. And the times I aimed a little to the right and half expected it to glance off, it dropped straight down.
Not to keep harping on the Nova but for the record Paul McBeth said it is the straightest flying disc he's ever thrown (I think this was from his ITB video). He said if you want to learn clean backhand form then throw a Nova! So there's that...

Also I will agree that this prototype hits and sticks. I have long felt that MVP discs like to roll away (must be that GYRO :p) and in my short time spent throwing my soft proto it definitely had sticky landings. Didn't seem to skip at all and it stayed put. I just don't like light, beadless putters so I hope they make Ions soon!

Hmmm, I didn't mean to imply the Nova was a bad disc or that Paul is forced to throw it by Innova. There's nothing wrong with the Nova at all as far as I'm concerned. I meant that you don't see pros throwing MVP because MVP doesn't pay them to throw MVP. Paul McBeth throws all Innova (and a little Dismania) because Innova pays him plenty of money to throw Innova. I don't think Innova pressures him to throw Novas vs. Aviars or anything else in their lineup necessarily, but they certain won't let him throw MVP. Not that any disc golf pro is getting rich off this sport, but they've all got to pay the bills and they throw the brands that sponsor them.

I'm really looking forward to the general approval/release of these baseline MVP putters. I didn't want to buy a prototype putter to play with since the production mold may be different (if I fell in love with it I might never be able to buy the exact same disc again). And I don't particularly need tons more "collectible" plastic sitting around my house (there's already plenty), so I didn't pick up any of these prototypes. From what you guys are saying though, I'm really looking forward to a general release of the MVP baseline plastic (I'd take just about any of their current putter molds or some new mold).

I find this amusing because one of my biggest draws to MVP is that I can have a premium plastic putter that molds up consistently, is grippy on the chains, has more distance/glide than other brands' baseline plastic putters, and they don't break in so they pretty much stay the same for as long as you use it. They figured out how to fix nearly everything potentially "wrong" with a premium plastic putter. But people still want baseline...choices and variety are good though. I'm just happy with the neutron/proton stuff already.

I don't like the grip in the damp, I'll give that nod to baseline though.

Well they feel awesome. I am excited to see Electron being available for the Anode and Ion.

Got my three luscious pink 167 Proto 2's in the mail today.

What else can I say about this plastic that hasn't been said? It is the perfect combination of grip, but not too grippy, smooth, flexible, greatness. It is close to Gateway's SSS, but has a smoother feel, if that makes sense. The flight plate is a little bendy and bouncy, but not floppy. And the overmold is like a buttery, grippier version of it's normal OM brother.

About that grip on the OM...

I was not able to toss them far, but I enjoyed a nice little putting session on the back patio with two of my Protos. (I'm going to keep one in mint condition) I will say right off the bat that these are the grippiest putters I've ever thrown, except for the RFF Wizard. I've never thrown Soft Vibram, but besides maybe a few other super grippy putters, this plastic from MVP is some of the most chain sticking stuff on the market. I had several putts that hit on the right side of the chains only to get grabbed back inside to fall in the basket. Those putts may have gone through with my Ions.

Here's the best part: The grip on the chains doesn't affect the grip on your hands. In threads long ago, I complained about those very RFF Wizards affecting my release on the putt. Too sticky is not good for a clean throw. These Protos were releasing perfectly every. single. time.

I thought this mold was the Proxy, but after seeing Zam's chart, it looks like this is another new design. The disc itself is shallow and felt very nice at putting range. The bead is very small, and anyone who has thrown MVP knows that there's never any flashing on the bottom. It felt great in the hand, and I can't wait to throw it fully, to see how it really flies. I love the disc, but the Electron is where it's at.

TL,DR; They need to make Ions in this plastic, stat.

got mine today, plastic feels nice, wish the F1 was stiffer. Hope they release something as stiff as Protege plastic. Bent the disc with my hands and it held the taco, it probably will beat in very fast, afraid to throw it at a basket.

Edit:
Just threw it at my basket, this stuff dents very easily.. pictures soon.

Last edited:
I should mention the durability. I probably threw about 30 putts with each disc. I just examined the overmolds and there are several tiny, very shallow indentations on both discs. Nothing you would worry about, but it's clear that these will break in fairly quickly. Which is actually going to be nice for a change, from MVP.

this just in at the FB page.:

Brad Richardson For those of you wondering about the blue protos being different than the other prototypes. Those are actually pre-engraved prototypes of the Atom. There was a small retool, which was to adjust for the processing parameters to allow more optimal quality. However, in terms of the flight, the blue protos are slightly less stable compared to what the production Atom will be. We look forward to your further feedback.
32 mins

Zachary Sovereign Nation THIS JUST IN *** Blue mystery-mold Experimentals confirmed as Atom protos!!! Only some of the blues, not all blues. We've seen the unnamed proto in blue, so it's not all blues. Breakthrue information

So some of the Blues, not all blues, are Atoms.

More info...

Brad Richardson Zachary Sovereign Nation, as far as I can remember, all the blue protos, both formula 1 and formula 2, were Atom prototypes. They were definitely a minority in the batch; less than 100 per run of 500.
7 min.

This just in: I may have been trippin' about some of the blues not being Atom protos

Aim, I have never seent a blue in person :(
And now that the news is out I have no intel to trade ZJ for one :(
But I hope I get Atoms soon :)
:)

i knew when no one wanted blue i should have kept them all...

i hope the 8 more i ordered at a STEAL from DTworld which arrive tomorrow are all blue. (talk about the slowest shipping evaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

Last edited:
Well, AFAIK just the four in the DNA pic. Since the Atom and UnNamed protos were out in Experimental batch, the Proxy is the last of the four molds that hasn't been widely seen.

I was referring to the unnamed proto, sorry if I was unclear. Pretty sweet deal that there's still one to be (likely) approved. Lot of Gyro heads gonna be losing it (in a good way).

Latest posts