• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

^The Cyclone is a great disc to use for a standstill mid-shot when your traction is bad.

Does anyone have a really thrashed ESP Cyclone yet? Mine is wearing, but I want it to become more LSS. As of now it hyzer flips to flat, or from slight hyzer to turned over and flexes back. I have it paired with TBs so I feel like I need a super beat one to have something sufficiently understable.

Peot said:
^The Cyclone is a great disc to use for a standstill mid-shot when your traction is bad.

Does anyone have a really thrashed ESP Cyclone yet? Mine is wearing, but I want it to become more LSS. As of now it hyzer flips to flat, or from slight hyzer to turned over and flexes back. I have it paired with TBs so I feel like I need a super beat one to have something sufficiently understable.

Yeah, keep working it, they do eventually get really beat up, and stop hyzering out at the extreme end. But it takes a long time, the ESP plastic is really quite super. I pair mine with PDs...one is beat to prime roller state.

Learned some stuff about the Cyclone, probably not new info put I'm posting anyway.

As I've found it there are 4 distinct cyclone molds
XClone - crap
Cyclone2 - no idea
Wixom - blunter nose, don't glide as well. Tooling is on the inside rim.
Walled Lake - sharper nose aka the good ones. Tooling is on the bottom of the flight plate.

I've been told that current Pro D and ESPs are run with both toolings... anyone know anymore about this odd little production thing?

cfair said:
...there are 4 distinct cyclone molds:
XClone - crap
Cyclone2 - no idea
Wixom - blunter nose, don't glide as well. Tooling is on the inside rim.
Walled Lake - sharper nose aka the good ones. Tooling is on the bottom of the flight plate.

I have to admit, I've never thrown an XClone.

I did pick up a couple old Cyclone2 discs from a re-sale. One looked like it had sat on the bottom of a pond for 20 years, but the plastic was still good, although the color was ruined (brown). These had a high dome, and fly very much like the domey ESP Cyclone I have, except a bit more over-stable. They are also sensitive to OAT, like the domey ESP Cyclones.

All my ESP Cyclones, both domey and flat, had the tooling on the bottom of the flight plate. None of them had tooling on the inside rim. The green plastic was the most domey...it's very nice plastic, just domey and ultra-sensitive to OAT (like a Comet). My flat tops are money, very high speed stable (maybe a few degrees turn) and always a hyzer curl at the end.

I liked Xclones a lot back in the day...The problem wasn't the disc, it was the plastic. During it's brief heyday I believe the Xclone was the fastest disc on the market.

I had fun shopping through the large stack of ESP Cyclones at Final 9 Sports. I found the very coolest ESP Cyclone ever, bright yellow, rigid, flat top, with a rainbow foil stamp. It has a very interesting flight, it tends to turn just a tick, and then locks into the line. Very gentle fade at the end. Definitely an ace run disc. Love it! I just can't get away from how well these discs fly, at least when I find one of the good ones.

Now, if I could only find another way to shop through stacks of ESP Cyclones, rather having to drive all the way to Sacramento!

I have domey Cyclones that in ESP are bricks and in TP rollers... Maybe i should throw a lower PLH flat Cyclone then to get a normal straight flight.

Would anybody be interested in 3 Tourney-Pro X-Clones? I picked em up with winnings at a tournament. I have a white 167, black 170, and black 175. All new and unthrown with tourney stamp.

JR said:
I have domey Cyclones that in ESP are bricks and in TP rollers... Maybe i should throw a lower PLH flat Cyclone then to get a normal straight flight.

All Cyclones have pretty much the same PLH, I haven't seen any significant difference between one ESP and any other when comparing under the nose. It's all about dome vs. no dome.

Found a cherry rigid orange flat-top 176g ESP Cyclone today in somebody's stock, it is one of the original ESP Cyclone runs. On my first throw with this disc off the tee on a 350' slightly downhill hole I barely missed the basket...imagine acing with the first shot of a disc!

If anyone finds others like this, I'd love to hear about them...and procure a few more for my collection.

Mine ain't like that but I aced my second time and the first time BH with a Champ Leopard that hadn't been thrown on a round. I had 3 or 4 warm up shots with it jut before that round and it was the first shot in the round with that disc. Sweet.

JR said:
Mine ain't like that but I aced my second time and the first time BH with a Champ Leopard that hadn't been thrown on a round. I had 3 or 4 warm up shots with it jut before that round and it was the first shot in the round with that disc. Sweet.

Awesome, I hope you kept it in your bag!

I now recall that Seppo Paju's ace from the Santa Cruz wharf was also with a new disc (a FB) he had just bought at the fly-mart on the beach. He immediately went back to the seller and asked if they had more just like it.

lol my first ace was with a disc i found at a course the week before. didnt throw it the whole round except for 18 and right off the tee i smashed for my first ace.

JHern said:
I now recall that Seppo Paju's ace from the Santa Cruz wharf was also with a new disc (a FB) he had just bought at the fly-mart on the beach. He immediately went back to the seller and asked if they had more just like it.
Heh, yeah. He had brought his DD2's, expecting a distance competition. Finding it was a mere 120 meters he had to get some shorter discs. =)

jubuttib said:
JHern said:
Heh, yeah. He had brought his DD2's, expecting a distance competition. Finding it was a mere 120 meters he had to get some shorter discs. =)

The beach has a steady strong wind to contend with, the Firebird was indeed the very best choice.

I had my camera to my face, and I was snapping telephoto shots of Seppo from the beach (on the other side of the basket). I heard people's voices get excited and pipe up and when I took the camera away I saw his disc arcing right at the basket and then bam! There were like 1000 people there who immediately exploded into cheers and people all the way down the beach got up and walked over to check out what all the commotion was about.

You can see the disc just to the left of Avery's head:

Seppo_Paju_Ace_Wharf.jpg

After everyone finished throwing, Seppo got a proper congratulations:

Seppo_Paju_Ace_Celebration.jpg

JR said:
I'll inform Seppo about these pics. Nice placement to show the crowd :)

I notice he already has one of them on his FB banner. :D

I never released those photos until now, I suppose the video collage from Jamie Thomas was so awesome that I didn't bother...

Latest posts