• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

lol i need something easily replaceable bro d. i mean,granted i could beat those 2 in pretty fast but i dont want to have to rely on that. soooo ill either just get some eagles or just learn to power down the pds. hopefully the production cpds will come out with some dome ,i already know theyre gonna be less stable than the dgv ones because they wont be stabilized(what i heard) those would probably make good compliments too

JHern said:
Thrown flat, the...
...domey ESP Cyclone is like a long Comet: extremely sensitive to OAT, easy to flip over, sensitive to wind, and little/no fade. Handles a clean spin-dominant throw really well, and tends to run off on a straight line (so be sure to throw it at the target!).
...flat ESP Cyclone is like a long Gazelle: holds a stable line on a hyzer flip, bleeds off OAT quickly, very good in the wind, and has a strong fade. You can crank on this thing, put it out on high flex lines, and you can count on a predictable fade.

I have to say that this completely explains how I have been finding cyclones to be understable compliments to my Gazelles which does not seem to agree with experiences of most in this thread. I have some mild-to-medium OAT issues these days and am in no way a spin-dominant thrower. So I really like the main ESP cyclone that I use as a turnover disc because it holds annies much longer than my mildly seasoned DX Gazelle.

Even if my increasingly seasoned Gazelles push the Cyclone out of the bag, having a domey one around as an OAT gauge will be nice.

I am highly skeptical of all these "flippy" ESP cyclones. I've thrown like 8 different ones, and while that isn't a huge number, none of them have been remotely like longer comets.

I have two flat ESP Cyclones that fly overstably, and one green with little sparkly flecks Elite X domey Cyclone. The two different styles fly very much like JHern's descriptions, though I'm finding the X to be not quite as touchy as my Z Comet was.

Ryan C said:
I am highly skeptical of all these "flippy" ESP cyclones. I've thrown like 8 different ones, and while that isn't a huge number, none of them have been remotely like longer comets.

I'd be skeptical too, if it weren't for the fact that I got hold of one of these freaky varieties...it might or might not be something you wish to seek out for yourself. Maybe I'll eventually sell mine, if you really want to try one.

BrotherDave said:
This might be a really dumb idea but what about a really beat Whippet or Banshee?

I second that...I keep a 175g Champion Banshee as my over-stable fairway driver to complement my Cyclones, and it is really a very reliable, very predictable disc. Out of the box it is stupid over-stable, but when it beats in a little, you can throw it flat and it'll hold a straight line with good glide for a surprisingly long while before flexing back hard.

I don't know if it's me or the disc, but my new 169 white ESP Cyclone is pretty touchy. Holds an anny line very well, but so far has been easy to flip and is VERY harsh to a nose-up throw. Not sure if it's the archer or the arrow.

I don't feel the need for a overstable compliment to my cyclones. They are surprisingly stable. I am also lucky enough to have preds beat in enough that they fill that gap without being slower.

Thatdirtykid said:
I don't feel the need for a overstable compliment to my cyclones. They are surprisingly stable. I am also lucky enough to have preds beat in enough that they fill that gap without being slower.

I don't usually need it, either, but there are times when the Banshee comes out of the bag...e.g., strong winds, blasting through branches/debris, throwing from an awkward position that requires strong-arming, needing a forehand flex shot to get out of trouble, hitting a short but very tight S-line, playing a stronger fade and skip, throwing overhand shots, etc..

The stable Cyclone and beat-in Banshee are also my two favorite steep downhill drivers. I'll throw the Banshee if the headwind is overly strong, or if I need the drive to fade out shorter.

booter said:
yea I do that sometimes but sometimes I'd rather throw the clone
I find the spls to work here. the Spls flies like a little bit slower eagle x. I was suprised when i got them the spls is alot more stable then the mpls.

Booter said:
so I love my esp cyclones. Straight as an arrow but can't handle winds for sh1t. The z's are of no interest because they fly like bricks,no glide. I have been looking for something more stable to compliment it.

I've been considering

glow gazelles
champ eagle x's

anybody have any success throwing glow gazelles into moderate winds? Hows the longevity of the stability of the glow gaz?

any other suggestions for a slow overstable/stable compliment?

I haven't thrown any Champ Eagle-Xs, but I do have several Champ Glow Gazelles and the ones that I have are noticeably more stable or at least have a lot more fade at the end of flight. I didn't throw mine enough during this past summer as I got mine mid summer, so I can't comment on the durability/longevity factor. I found that when my max weight (newish) DX Gazelles weren't handling the wind (and I wanted to throw a fairway driver), I pulled out my Glow Champ Gazelle and it worked as intended. Most of the Glows I have are max weight, but I do have a few in the 168-170 range and they still do pretty well. I do notice a slight difference is HSS on the lower weight ones, but it is almost negligible.

Whats reasonable to pay for a lightly used first-run Cyclone? I throw green ESP Cyclones(the nice flying ones from the first go of the ESPs they debuted a few years ago). But I would like to test out one of the originals to see what the big deal is, or to maybe just add it to my collection.

Quick question for you cyclone guys.

How do I know if I've got a TP cyclone? Got an older cylcone from PIAS a few years ago & it's a milky-white, feels like elite-x, and has a football-shaped sticker w/ weight on the bottom. As a bonus, I just found out it glows in the dark as well.

Good or bad?

pd

Someone is about to get hooked the fuck up with some Cyclones. Some TPs, some RRs, some domey ESPs. Someone asked me a long time back if I'd sell off my whole lot. We'll see if they're interested.

If that person doesn't bite, they will be posted before 8:00am on Monday. No dibs until I post the list.

pointdisc said:
Quick question for you cyclone guys.

How do I know if I've got a TP cyclone? Got an older cylcone from PIAS a few years ago & it's a milky-white, feels like elite-x, and has a football-shaped sticker w/ weight on the bottom. As a bonus, I just found out it glows in the dark as well.

Good or bad?

pd
Is it a sticker or a stamp?

Sticker, see pics.

0224110738b.jpg

0224110738a.jpg

pd

Latest posts