• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

NoLifeLeft said:
JHern, does your older have the flight plate tooling and perhaps the new one has the inner rim tooling? I haven't bought and ESP's since they came out. All of my domey-est Cyclones have come from the rim tooled mold.

You'll have to describe what you mean by "tooling" and I can certainly answer...

dgdave said:
The raised letters on the bottom of the disc.

Yes, the letters on the bottom of the flight plate are raised. There are no raised letters on the inside of the rim, as in some of the other Discraft molds.

how would a Cyclone compare to a Cheetah?

lol I'll never stop looking for a perfect replacement. my first cheetah had a perfect about of HS turn and LSS, but the one I have now is just fliptastic. I'm looking for something that can flip flat and hold nice lines before ending with a nice light fade

I'm getting a bit put off by the amount of variation I've seen in the ESP Cyclones already...Not something I like to see in a mold I'm considering making a permanent addition to my bag...

I have a fairly domey ESP baby blue Cyclone and I am having a hard time telling much of a difference from my Stalkers.

EpicLeopard1337 said:
how would a Cyclone compare to a Cheetah?

lol I'll never stop looking for a perfect replacement. my first cheetah had a perfect about of HS turn and LSS, but the one I have now is just fliptastic. I'm looking for something that can flip flat and hold nice lines before ending with a nice light fade
There is a chance you are throwing better/harder. Cyclone is pretty comparable to a faster cheetah

discspeed said:
I'm getting a bit put off by the amount of variation I've seen in the ESP Cyclones already...Not something I like to see in a mold I'm considering making a permanent addition to my bag...

So I e-mail discraft, and they swore by Allah that there has not been a mold change. Wow, pretty amazing how different a disc can come out of the same mold! And I thought Discraft were the "consistency" guys. Oh well.

My 1st 4 ESP Cyclones were exactly the same, bought at different times and places, with some differences in plastic, and all really great HSS hard-fading discs. I really don't know what has happened, but they are blowing it. Here I was becoming a loyal customer, and they go and screw it all up. Oh well.

But...the stable ones are sooooo money! I need to find some more. My precious!!!

Mike, I hope you get a chance to throw one of these some day, you'll see what I mean.

how do the X cyclones compare to the ESP cyclones? I see people mentioning Z cyclones, but dgc doesn't carry them and does carry X?

I like the Elite X. For me I was able to achieve the same distance as the ESP Cyclones. They seem a tick less stable than the ESP but are a little easier to work straight out of the box than the ESP. Z Cyclones are oop and do not fly anything like the other plastics. More overstable less glide and less distance potential. Nothing like what a cyclone should be. Some people liked them most did not.

I have yet to throw an x cyclone but I stocked up on tp clones and esp's . I'm glad I've gone back to them. Definitely longer than I remember them several yrs ago. Straight as a damn arrow . Easy to shape lines with too

Old discraft plastic. Tournamet Pro. Tougher than x, but feels nice in the hand.

About comparing x's and esp's- from my experience the esp's are more stable. x's are money.

I have thrown them off and on since the esp's came out, I have decided to just stick with em. I am going to try and stick with a core bag of discs and really learn all of them rather than changing all the time. Especially since I do not get to play that much anymore. Better to stick with discs I know.

Man, the ESP Cyclones I just got are damn near Z plastic. The yellow one I have is slightly translucent and stiff, and the other 4 are pretty stiff as well. The ones I had before this were much softer.

OK folks, now that I'm back in town, I can post a pic of the difference between the 2 ESP Cyclones. This is really interesting, because it seems to defy the basic rules of stability and disc shape that we have mostly come to embrace on this board...

Cyclone_Comparison.jpg

-The green one on the left is a new domey type I procured through discspeed, and the orange one on the right is my older broken-in Cyclone.

-The under side of the rims and flight plates are exactly the same: from the bottom, there is no difference at all between them.

-The parting line heights (PLH) are exactly the same. There is no correlation between PLH and domey-ness between these two discs.

-The top of the flight plates are completely different, the green one with a large dome and wide shoulders, while the orange is much flatter and has significantly more narrow shoulders.

-In flight, the orange one has a ton of LSS and moderate HSS. Great for working all sorts of lines, even flexing out of steep anhyzers.

-In flight, the green one has almost no LSS at all and is very easy to flip over at low (150'-200') power. Like a cross between a Stalker and a Comet.

-OAT can be applied in a controllable way to flip the orange one, and the wobble will bleed off relatively quickly in flight.

-The green one flips uncontrollably with even the slightest OAT (very Comet-like), and the wobble doesn't seem to dissipate at all. Only a very clean throw and release will work with this disc.

The best way I can summarize the way these two discs fly is to say that the orange one flies like a Teebird (good HSS, holds lines extremely well at 350' power) but with lots more fade appearing at low speeds, while the green one flies like a cross between the Stalker (in terms of speed) and a Comet (in terms of HSS/LSS).

peppermack said:
Man, the ESP Cyclones I just got are damn near Z plastic. The yellow one I have is slightly translucent and stiff, and the other 4 are pretty stiff as well. The ones I had before this were much softer.

That yellow one sounds like one of my most favorite ESP Cyclones I ever owned. I lost it on hole 26 at DeLaveaga. :(

Let me know how they fly for you...if they are the out-of-the-box over-stable type, I'd be very interested in a trade.

I have to say that I'm surprised that the green one is less stable. My green ones, which look exactly like the one in that picture, are definitely my most stable and most liked cyclones.

Latest posts