• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

I generally hate soft discs.
But I like my 2 FLX XLs. But then again I don't like my 2 FLX Avenger SSs.
So an FLX Cyclone could go either way.

I'd rather have a TP re-release.

I'm not so sure I'd like a tp re release. The plastic back then,to me, wore in better than todays pro d. Luckily tp clones aren't hard to find. ,atleast around here

booter said:
I'm not so sure I'd like a tp re release. The plastic back then,to me, wore in better than todays pro d. Luckily tp clones aren't hard to find. ,atleast around here
i dunno if they have run any yet but id be excited to try some clones in the new new Pro-D plastic ive been seeing on shelves, ive seen some D Avengers and Surges lately that are molded in some super stiff D that feels great (nothing like the old new Pro-d that was as tough as a starburst) almost reminds me of really good KC-pro plastic.......and the discs even had nice domes

Jesse B 707 said:
booter said:
i dunno if they have run any yet but id be excited to try some clones in the new new Pro-D plastic ive been seeing on shelves, ive seen some D Avengers and Surges lately that are molded in some super stiff D that feels great (nothing like the old new Pro-d that was as tough as a starburst) almost reminds me of really good KC-pro plastic.......and the discs even had nice domes

We've got some new Clones in that plastic...They actually feel VERY similar to the latest ESP Nukes. I'll have to test one as my ESP is not breaking in much now that I'm past the initial deflashing/couple of tree hits.

discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
booter said:

We've got some new Clones in that plastic...They actually feel VERY similar to the latest ESP Nukes. I'll have to test one as my ESP is not breaking in much now that I'm past the initial deflashing/couple of tree hits.
do they have some dome? if so imma have to get some

Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
booter said:

do they have some dome? if so imma have to get some

I'll be in there tomorrow or Weds, and I'll let you know.

discspeed: I've been trying out those new Cyclones I got, when my arm finally recovered after playing too many epic courses last weekend. These fly very differently than my last ESP Cyclones. I don't have time to write a lot now, but basically they are much less HSS and LSS than my previous ESP Cyclone. When I looked at them for comparison, it is as if the tops are completely different. The new ones are both very domey and have a big ramp up near the edge. The older ones I was throwing have a brief shoulder and then a very very flat top. I'll post some photos when I get the chance.

Nevertheless, the new green Cyclone flies a lot like a Stalker. If I give it a good clean snap, it'll go straight for a very long ways with little fade.

I've got 2 Cyclones in that new X-ish Pro D. They're both magenta and feel awesome. Stiff and very domey. Can't comment on durability because I haven't been hitting trees with them. 8)

JHern said:
discspeed: I've been trying out those new Cyclones I got, when my arm finally recovered after playing too many epic courses last weekend. These fly very differently than my last ESP Cyclones. I don't have time to write a lot now, but basically they are much less HSS and LSS than my previous ESP Cyclone. When I looked at them for comparison, it is as if the tops are completely different. The new ones are both very domey and have a big ramp up near the edge. The older ones I was throwing have a brief shoulder and then a very very flat top. I'll post some photos when I get the chance.

Nevertheless, the new green Cyclone flies a lot like a Stalker. If I give it a good clean snap, it'll go straight for a very long ways with little fade.

I imagine the domey one is gliding better? I really like the greens, but then again, I don't throw many "S" shots. My game is very direct. I do find that those Cyclones come back to hyzer if started with hyzer. I may have to get a flatter/stiffer one for my slightly overstable slot.

Timko said:
discspeed said:
I really like the greens, but then again, I don't throw many "S" shots.

Kinda funny, considering how good a Cyclone is at an S shot.

Exactly...Out of all the runs out there, I happen to find the straight ones. They still "S" a lot better than my Buzzzes when I need that shot.

I'm going to need some more time in the field, but the green domey Cyclone (the white is also vastly more domey than my previous Cyclones) really likes to flip up to flat and go straight without fade. It is a great forward penetrator.

But anyways, I have to state that, unequivocally, this is a completely different disc than what I'm used to from the ESP Cyclones. I like it, but I also want to get some more of the over-stable variety before they're all gone. I'm now on a mission.

JHern said:
I'm going to need some more time in the field, but the green domey Cyclone (the white is also vastly more domey than my previous Cyclones) really likes to flip up to flat and go straight without fade. It is a great forward penetrator.

But anyways, I have to state that, unequivocally, this is a completely different disc than what I'm used to from the ESP Cyclones. I like it, but I also want to get some more of the over-stable variety before they're all gone. I'm now on a mission.
call Marshall St. and they will hand pickem for yah on the phone. if they dont have the exact clone you are looking for they will tell you. great service and people.

My domey ones are quite a bit more stable than my flat ones, but that might vary by run.

Ryan C said:
My domey ones are quite a bit more stable than my flat ones, but that might vary by run.

I agree. I just got some flat, heavy, and stiff orange ones and they are less stable out of the box than my domey greens.

discspeed said:
Ryan C said:

I agree. I just got some flat, heavy, and stiff orange ones and they are less stable out of the box than my domey greens.

However, what you call "flat" is actually extremely domey. What you call "domey" is super-extra domey. Your relative scale of domey-ness is not accounting for some of the older ESP Cyclone molds, whose tops were so flat that they bear absolutely no resemblance to the ESP Cyclones that you are throwing now. Their plastic was more rigid and dense, but also slightly more tacky. We own two of the older ultra-flat Cyclones (one of them is my 1st Ace disc) and they are vastly more stable than the ones I recently got from your store. So stable that when new they could flex out of steep (greater than 45 degrees) anhyzer turn-over shots throw hard with OAT.

I'm now convinced that there has been a change in the top piece of the mold. There is no other explanation for these differences. Somebody should inquire with Discraft about this, because the older ESP Cyclones were $$$$$. I'm not saying I don't like the new mold, but it is an entirely different disc. The differences are similar to the 1st run flat Stalker vs the newer mega-dome Stalkers. The top piece of all molds has a flat section in the middle, and a ramp up from the parting line on the outside. The width of the ramp on the older ones is roughly half as wide as the width of the ramp on the newer ones.

I wish I had my older ESP Cyclone with me to take a picture and post it, so you all can instantly recognize what I'm talking about. I'm away traveling for a couple weeks, and decided to only bring the new domey one with me.

In terms of flight differences, think of adding a lot of predator-like character to the ones you are throwing now, and you'll get closer to the HSS and LSS of older ultra-flats. Relative to the older ultra-flats, the newer ones feel like they have had a heaping spoonful of Comet-like character thrown into the recipe in the way they fly.

JHern, does your older have the flight plate tooling and perhaps the new one has the inner rim tooling? I haven't bought and ESP's since they came out. All of my domey-est Cyclones have come from the rim tooled mold.

Latest posts